The Game Gadget

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gmintyfresh

Re: The Game Gadget

Post by gmintyfresh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:01 am

Yep on my way down today, looking forward to the retro stuff :)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:53 am

jcdentont1000 wrote:They can't have it both ways. They should either be making their money on the hardware OR the software - not both. Expensive hardware with very cheap software (the model they tried to implement with the PSP Go) OR cheap hardware with more expensive software (the Nintendo model).
Cheap software on the PSPgo?? hardly, that was the huge problem with it, the games cost far more than they did at retail, yes there were the minis and ps1 games that were fairly cheap, but still not IOS or Android prices, nowhere near.

As for the GameGadget, this thing is looking worse by the day, I thought from day one it looked horrible and cheap, with it's button configuration it is just not going to work well with certain games, how is it going to replicate the joysticks/pads of the Neo Geo for instance, and releasing it without the necessary software is criminal.

I think it would be a good idea Dirkshirt, seeing as you have one in your hands, to start a discussion on the Amazon website before more people get sucked in by the spiel in the description, explaining the current dire situation with the machine.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:49 pm

adippm82 wrote:
jcdentont1000 wrote:They can't have it both ways. They should either be making their money on the hardware OR the software - not both. Expensive hardware with very cheap software (the model they tried to implement with the PSP Go) OR cheap hardware with more expensive software (the Nintendo model).
Cheap software on the PSPgo?? hardly, that was the huge problem with it, the games cost far more than they did at retail, yes there were the minis and ps1 games that were fairly cheap, but still not IOS or Android prices, nowhere near.

As for the GameGadget, this thing is looking worse by the day, I thought from day one it looked horrible and cheap, with it's button configuration it is just not going to work well with certain games, how is it going to replicate the joysticks/pads of the Neo Geo for instance, and releasing it without the necessary software is criminal.

I think it would be a good idea Dirkshirt, seeing as you have one in your hands, to start a discussion on the Amazon website before more people get sucked in by the spiel in the description, explaining the current dire situation with the machine.

Could not agree more mate...I was so close to being suckered in, due to the description; I WANTED it to be as good as it sounded.

subzero

Post by subzero » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:53 am

at the moment i have 30 megadrive games on mine thanks to the manual workaround, however im still peeved that this wasnt released with the software ready, very bad move on Blaze's part, i am still confident that they will release it very soon, it was supposed to be yesterday!

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:51 am

adippm82 wrote:

As I said, the model they 'tried' to implement - they failed, a big reason why the 'Go' was a failure.
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:56 am

subzero wrote:at the moment i have 30 megadrive games on mine thanks to the manual workaround, however im still peeved that this wasnt released with the software ready, very bad move on Blaze's part, i am still confident that they will release it very soon, it was supposed to be yesterday!
All the delays have got me thinking if it's more of a support issue than a software issue - I can't imagine people would be happy if the store went live with only the free Megadrive games on it.

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:57 pm

I have high hopes for this still altough i will wait and see before i buy.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:06 am

zapiy wrote:I have high hopes for this still altough i will wait and see before i buy.
Yes and no...I would love it to succeed, and would consider one if it does. But why not tell people what games are coming out when, entice punters? There's just no mention of what games/when/how much. Just 'more games coming soon.' Not good enough for me to buy one.

subzero

Post by subzero » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:34 am

i can tell you that there will be:

amiga
atari
nintendo
msx
sega
mame

:)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:25 am

subzero wrote:i can tell you that there will be:

amiga
atari
nintendo
msx
sega
mame

:)
...And that would be frikkin awesome. And that is what they need to tell customers to get them on board. Specifics, and how far off. Even new machines are sold on their killer app launch titles, with an enticing list of what will be out very soon- some in a few weeks, some over following months.
So far, we know the Blaze H/H sega titles are there...and that's it. The potential of course is fantastic. The possibility is, it flops and you're left with this machine with the sega games and **** all else.
Believe me, I want this machine to do well, I want it to be that 'itunes of retro games.' But it's still a wait and see game atm

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 am

Another update:
A further reply with an apology for the delay...I appreciate the fact they are responding personally to queries when they're obviously busy getting the GG up and running.
They hope to have the store fully up in running by May (early or late May I'm not sure), and they have further developers and companies on board. Due to Non disclosure agreements there is limited info they can give out. But they say, to quote them, 'you won't be disappointed.'
They have also taken on board comments in the community in regard to the price of games, which will be repriced to 2.99 instead of 4.99, and 9.99 for lots of ten.

I've asked a further question in regard to the hardware bug requiring a pr of headphones as per an earlier poster's comments...so I'll leave it there before he gets utterly sick of me.

This makes me a bit more positive, although still have a wait and see attitude. It might be all good once we see the store and further games... but I need to see some games. Otherwise maybe the PSP, at the dirt cheap prices it goes for now, might be the H/H option...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:24 am

Further update: The 'sound' bug requiring headphones to be plugged in has now been sorted.

It does sound despite teething problems they are rapidly moving to sort them, so ups to them for that

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:27 am

The £2.99 pricing change is a bonus.. and was something that had to be done tbh.

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:03 am

The £2.99 pricing change is a bonus.. and was something that had to be done tbh.
It's a positive move that the pricing has come done, however, £2.99 is still too much for what are (at the end of the day) just roms of old games!

To me, the original mooted price point of £1.99 per game should have been the absolute ceiling price, with £0.99p being more the norm. Indeed, had they decided not to cross the psychological £1 barrier (i.e. by offering d/ls from as little as £0.99 per game) I think they would be able to coax a lot more people onto the device. I guess only time will tell if they have got their strategy right!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:47 am

fujiHunter wrote:
It's a positive move that the pricing has come done, however, £2.99 is still too much for what are (at the end of the day) just roms of old games!

To me, the original mooted price point of £1.99 per game should have been the absolute ceiling price, with £0.99p being more the norm. Indeed, had they decided not to cross the psychological £1 barrier (i.e. by offering d/ls from as little as £0.99 per game) I think they would be able to coax a lot more people onto the device. I guess only time will tell if they have got their strategy right!
Yeah, time will tell. It depends on the person. To me, I'm happy with 2.99 or 9.99 for ten...my main issue is (and had always been) ensuring there will be enough games I want to buy/play.