The Game Gadget

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

subzero

Re: The Game Gadget

Post by subzero » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:51 am

thankfully im still banned, not that there would be anything worth reading anyhoo!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
kiwimike wrote:
alistair_thomas wrote:If you do a search for 'gamegadget forum' the first link that comes up now is the Xploder forum (the second is the actual gamegadget forum). There is still no official word on this yet - is it safe to say they've given up now?
Zapiy, their long suffering volunteer helper is trying to find out something. Was news to him too.

I don't think they've given up pawning them off on any poor sod that buys one...it just seems they are doing their upmost to hide the unsatisfied customers! :lol:
Zapiy is on holiday so you might be waiting a while :lol:
Yeah, he said that! He popped onto the forum and said he didn't know wtf was going and would ask...a few hours later it was linked back up again :lol:

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Anyone got one of these things they want to pass on?

I'm being serious.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:12 pm

I think Blaze might have a few in stock... :)

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 am

The deafening silence from Game Gadget HQ is over apparently. From an article at eurogamer.net here are the headlines (direct from an anonymous GameGadget insider):
  • New Game Gadget hardware is on the horizon... the imminent horizon!

On Nov 14th Game Gadget v1.1 (yup, you read right!) launches for the princely sum of £39.99. Differences include an improved screen, altered circuitry etc. This will be available exclusively from GameGadget.net. Following this (apparently), will be further hardware revisions next year in the form of the GameGadget Pocket in (Q1 2013) and GameGadget 2.0 (Q2 2013). The latter will retail at around £60.
  • The Game Gadget device has been rebranded - it's no longer the self declared iPod of retro gaming!

Rather, it is now to be marketed as "a slicker version of the Dingoo, but at half the price.'" Beyond this there are to be no further promises - including no further promises of publisher support! The device is simply to be left for the gaming community to support (or not), much like the Dingoo. The 10 free Megadrive games will still ship with the device though! Further licensed games will only be announced as/when they are secured.
  • ...oh, and andypqube (Andy Pearson) is no longer working on the GameGadget.
    http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... 98#p802898
for full article see:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... a-response

Some jaw dropping revelations ( :shock: )and quite a bit of cud to chew on there.

So whose getting a Game Gadget this Xmas :?: ;)

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 am

Appalling. So after all the promises, assurances and proclamations the machine is just going to be for playing a bunch of Megadrive games and some homebrew titles. Presumably you will be able to run emulators on it, but a second hand PSP will do that job for the same price and also has a selection of decent games all of its own.

At least they've improved the hardware, assuming they have actually bothered.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:37 am

Absolutely and utterly stunning. Andy didn't last long in the determined dept then :lol:

Forum has been down for a week while they work on something, in their usual lightening fast manner. Not that it was anything other than a ghost town anyway. Will be interesting when it returns whether all the long list of grumpy customer posts will disappear- like their facebook page.

What an awful and inept company. Suppose they had to do something though...all those talks that were going on led to nothing then huh? :lol: Bumbling idiots IMO

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:57 am

Is there any point? I would presume they've lost any potential customers already, so who exactly is going to buy the new products?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 am

It'll be in the toys section of the Argos catalogue at that price.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 am

Should write a book about this whole story !

So in other words they seemed to have found it more dificult than they thought to get legal licensed roms (think a lot have tried before) and instead its going to be a 'dingoo' clone ? It could be a good device if the controls are decent, if its linux there'll be a fair few emulators you can add to it. The GP32/GP2X scene for ages kept creating more and more emulators which worked very well.

But due to all the past PR mistakes and BS this will have to be a brilliant machine to silence the crowd. I mean i cant believe theyre carrying on, i'll have to ring the RSPCA as its quite depressing (and amusing) to watch them flog this dead horse time and time again.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on the EuroGamer article, fujiHunter.

I thought the two most prescient comments were,
On the surface it's a frank admission of a wonky product launch and a vow to do better. It's a start, even if we've heard it all before."
and,
... I'd urge trepidation. Are these quick-given promises to detract negativity from the NeoGeo X Gold Limited Edition launch on 6th December?"
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:17 pm

alistair_thomas wrote:Is there any point? I would presume they've lost any potential customers already, so who exactly is going to buy the new products?
Some may pick it up for 39 quid as a cheap emulator, without the 'games store' hype, possibly for the kids etc. What an awful company though, never seen so much utter imcompetance for a product launch. The Neo Geo x looks a decent little unit but it's a shame Blaze/Xploder are the distributors of it.

Andy, if you're reading all this, feel free to pop on and give a company perspective...

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 pm

so its now there to play roms to which they dont have copyright?

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Can you put emus on it or do you need to jail break/hack it? Just under £40 makes it a tempting offer. Even if it sinks without a trace I bet a community will spring up out of it's ashes...

Might be worth a punt.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 pm

What a sorry state of affairs it is that a device whose producers once promised so much ends up as being yet another Dingoo-type system. A concept that strived to legitimise the downloading of game ROMs to be played on it via a plethora of adapted emulators reduced to being another handheld for teh illegally pirated ROM whorez. :(
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac