The Game Gadget

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

fujiHunter

Re: The Game Gadget

Post by fujiHunter » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:36 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:I've been following this thread with interest and have tried to help by marking the fake amazon reviews as unhelpful, and the honest reviews as helpful.
So called *shill reviews* are the scourge of Amazon and should be exposed wherever and whenever possible!

Here's a great article on so called *shill reviewing* and how to spot it here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8118577.stm

It's a short but very interesting read. I especially like the bit that reads:
In more general terms, watch out for similarities in style between reviews from people with different usernames, particularly if those reviews were placed about the same time.

Watch out for people who are new users, or whose only reviews are on the same item. And a sudden wave of five-star reviews after a more sustained run of lower ratings should provoke suspicion.
According to the article *shill reviewing* also appears to be:
  • contrary to Amazon's customer reviews guidelines
  • prohibited under UK Law (Unfair Trading Regulations 2008)
  • prohibited under EU Law (Unfair Commercial Practices Directive 2005/29/EC).
I'll say no more...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Popped over to gg forum, bugger all happening as usual...tumbleweeds rolling past...
Sub hasn't received a reply yet, guess they are too busy with their publishers dragging their heels and e3 stuff...
Interesting add to the subject though, about the Lord Sugar tweet coming out after someone received emails hinting games were already in the can... :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:55 pm

kiwimike wrote:Popped over to gg forum, bugger all happening as usual...tumbleweeds rolling past...
That can't be right! One of the five star reviews on Amazon.co.uk states, "Active forum for discussion and information on developing, extra emulators etc"! :mrgreen:

Source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-r ... centReview

This very same person has the following items listed in their review feedback history,

* Xploder Ultimate Edition - Xbox 360
* Xploder Ultimate Edition - PlayStation 3
* Xploder Cheats System - Ultimate Edition (Xbox 360)
* Blaze Sega Megadrive Handheld with 18 games built-in : Streets Of Rage - Special Edition
* Blaze PSP to TV Adaptor
* Blaze Mel B: Fitness First - Gym Pack (Wii)
* Blaze Blink Now
* Blaze Sega Ultimate Portable Console with 20 Classic Megadrive Games built-in
* Blaze Wicked Monsters Blast with 2 Blasters - Bundle Edition (Wii)

Purely coincidental I'm sure! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The item in said person's review feedback history that had me laughing the most though?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marketing-Plan- ... r-mr-title
:shock: :lol: :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Him saying "wide range of games available with more being added all the time" made me laugh the most :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:Him saying "wide range of games available with more being added all the time" made me laugh the most :lol:
:lol: I had to pledge my computer screen cos I sprayed coffee over it...
He needs a new marketing book I think :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Lol I love the little conversation on the gg forum about Freeware Doom, and one Mod conceding not being able to change weapons is a 'slight issue'...and another guy disagreeing, saying he had to take on a final Boss with a pistol cos he'd used all his cool weapons like BFG on trivial stuff :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:35 am

kiwimike wrote: :lol: I had to pledge my computer screen cos I sprayed coffee over it...
He needs a new marketing book I think :)
Amazon.co.uk has just the thing!

Another book they could perhaps do with too...

Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:24 am

I sent a detailed e-mail to the review enquiries people at amazon a couple of days ago, about all the five star reviews for the GG, including the Xploder registration domain evidence, etc, they have sent back this reply:

Hello

Thank you for bringing these customer reviews to our attention.

We have taken action to remove the customer reviews you reported as they do not comply with our guidelines and will shortly disappear from the amazon.co.uk website. Our intention is to make the customer review forum a place for constructive commentary and feedback.

We thank you for taking the time to report this. Feedback from conscientious customers such as yourself helps us maintain the quality and integrity of our website.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website.

Warmest regards,

Joel M
Amazon.co.uk
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

I have just checked and the positive reviews have gone, and there are just the eight one star ones left...excellent.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 pm

@ adippm82

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Blaze dont seem to be selling them through amazon anymore either. strange.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:03 pm

adippm82 wrote:I sent a detailed e-mail to the review enquiries people at amazon a couple of days ago, about all the five star reviews for the GG, including the Xploder registration domain evidence, etc, they have sent back this reply:

Hello

Thank you for bringing these customer reviews to our attention.

We have taken action to remove the customer reviews you reported as they do not comply with our guidelines and will shortly disappear from the amazon.co.uk website. Our intention is to make the customer review forum a place for constructive commentary and feedback.

We thank you for taking the time to report this. Feedback from conscientious customers such as yourself helps us maintain the quality and integrity of our website.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website.

Warmest regards,

Joel M
Amazon.co.uk
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

I have just checked and the positive reviews have gone, and there are just the eight one star ones left...excellent.

Nice work!

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:04 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
That can't be right! One of the five star reviews on Amazon.co.uk states, "Active forum for discussion and information on developing, extra emulators etc"! :mrgreen:

Source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-r ... centReview

This very same person has the following items listed in their review feedback history,

* Xploder Ultimate Edition - Xbox 360
* Xploder Ultimate Edition - PlayStation 3
* Xploder Cheats System - Ultimate Edition (Xbox 360)
* Blaze Sega Megadrive Handheld with 18 games built-in : Streets Of Rage - Special Edition
* Blaze PSP to TV Adaptor
* Blaze Mel B: Fitness First - Gym Pack (Wii)
* Blaze Blink Now
* Blaze Sega Ultimate Portable Console with 20 Classic Megadrive Games built-in
* Blaze Wicked Monsters Blast with 2 Blasters - Bundle Edition (Wii)

Purely coincidental I'm sure! :lol: :lol: :lol:
@ Dreamcast RIP, I actually put all this in the e-mail, asking that this person have all their reviews removed as they are obviously fake, shill reviews, I am a bit disappointed they only removed the ones for the Game Gadget, but at least that it is something.

There is an Elite and Super Elite on the Xploder forum, both moderators.
Last edited by adippm82 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Glad to have been of assistance. :D

Amazon.co.uk's action of removing that gg 'review' is the main thing and a small but still significant victory in the propaganda war. :mrgreen:

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:34 am

FIGHT THE POWER! :D

Very pleased to see the gg is down to a more deserved rating of one star
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com