The Game Gadget

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

fujiHunter

Re: The Game Gadget

Post by fujiHunter » Sat May 12, 2012 9:09 am

Given the ongoing problems with the GameGadget, I guess one could be forgiven for thinking they were conducting a live beta test of the Hardware/Software! Thorough, proper and extensive testing of the whole system (hardware + software) should have been completed inhouse months before launch. It's common sense really! Can you imagine Sony, Nintendo etc unleashing a console to the public in this way.... ?

Anyway, given that the whole project is UK based/designed I still really hope they pull it off.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat May 12, 2012 10:22 am

fujiHunter wrote:... Thorough, proper and extensive testing of the whole system (hardware + software) should have been completed inhouse months before launch. It's common sense really! Can you imagine Sony, Nintendo etc unleashing a console to the public in this way.... ?
Yes... because Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have all done just that!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 12, 2012 5:36 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
fujiHunter wrote:... Thorough, proper and extensive testing of the whole system (hardware + software) should have been completed inhouse months before launch. It's common sense really! Can you imagine Sony, Nintendo etc unleashing a console to the public in this way.... ?
So true :lol:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat May 12, 2012 6:13 pm

fujiHunter wrote:Given the ongoing problems with the GameGadget, I guess one could be forgiven for thinking they were conducting a live beta test of the Hardware/Software! Thorough, proper and extensive testing of the whole system (hardware + software) should have been completed inhouse months before launch. It's common sense really! Can you imagine Sony, Nintendo etc unleashing a console to the public in this way.... ?

Anyway, given that the whole project is UK based/designed I still really hope they pull it off.
If you're going to compare yourself with an established download environment such as iTunes where product consumption is mostly seamless, then yes, you really need to be up & running on day one of release. From the anecdotal evidence I've read, it appears there are many issues to overcome before it gets to an iTunes level of service. If a new product is released without most of the kinks being ironed out beforehand (plus no download store) then it looks a bit unprofessional & worse doesn't instil much confidence in the consumer who is looking for a hassle free way to get their retro kicks. I realise that Sony, Nintendo & Microsoft may not be perfect in this regard either but Blazes entry into the console world is in a much more precarious position & needs time it may not have. The release date should've been set for the latter half of the year rather than the beginning based on the evidence so far.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat May 12, 2012 6:19 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
I think you can add Atari (STe DMA chip, Lynx button jams) and Commodore (1200 cpu problems) to that list, most have to date made some errors, no company is perfect! Its all part of the colourful gaming history :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 12, 2012 8:18 pm

AmigaJay wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
I think you can add Atari (STe DMA chip, Lynx button jams) and Commodore (1200 cpu problems) to that list, most have to date made some errors, no company is perfect! Its all part of the colourful gaming history :lol:
True dat...many companies have had their issues with hardware launches. The particular porblem here is this hardware was launched under the guise of being something that (atm) it clearly isn't. Other launch hardware had issues with title delays...but I can't think of many other HW launches that have promised so many games-yet over a month after release not only does not have those games, but refuses to tell you WHAT games or WHEN! Then there's misleading advertising (Games collections onto SD card- which does not look like being the truth, only games from a certain 'mode' or your own ROMs or something like that can go to SD, NOT the games you buy from their itunes type store) which IMO is skating so close to fair trade it isn't funny.
You could go into the gazillions of HW & SW hassles coming up on the forum daily...but meh, **** it! :lol:
I will reconsider a purchase in the latter part of this year IF they have their censored sorted...and IF I haven't bought something else instead. IMHO, you would be nuts to jump in yet without letting them sort some things out first- or possibly the thing flops. Way too much opposition hardware you won't have the hassle with.
That said, I really hope it becomes what it claimed it was going to. I loved the sound of it. :)

subzero

Post by subzero » Sun May 13, 2012 3:11 am

ive finally had enough and am thinking of returning it for a refund

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun May 13, 2012 3:34 am

kiwimike wrote: but I can't think of many other HW launches that have promised so many games-yet over a month after release not only does not have those games, but refuses to tell you WHAT games or WHEN!
When you have followed the Gizmondo for some years like I did, then and only then you will understand the true meaning of lies and corruption :lol: seriously though, I think this was a dingoo machine released in sheeps clothing, i honestly don't think apart from some freeware, megadrive, maybe master system and the odd game a lone developer hopes to get rich on, that's all thats going to happen for it, I've seen the signs, we all have, sales won't have hit even four digits, the price has dropped already and the only thing going for it is emulation...either get a refund or wake up to the situation that's likely to happen...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun May 13, 2012 4:00 am

AmigaJay wrote:
kiwimike wrote: but I can't think of many other HW launches that have promised so many games-yet over a month after release not only does not have those games, but refuses to tell you WHAT games or WHEN!
When you have followed the Gizmondo for some years like I did, then and only then you will understand the true meaning of lies and corruption :lol: seriously though, I think this was a dingoo machine released in sheeps clothing, i honestly don't think apart from some freeware, megadrive, maybe master system and the odd game a lone developer hopes to get rich on, that's all thats going to happen for it, I've seen the signs, we all have, sales won't have hit even four digits, the price has dropped already and the only thing going for it is emulation...either get a refund or wake up to the situation that's likely to happen...
I don't need a refund mate, I never bought the ****ing thing :lol: As I mentioned, they were very cagey about what games when, and when pushed pulled the non disclosure agreement card. But they keep saying this 'may' come soon and 'that' may come soon...I sadi I'd wait for the Store and see what was available...I did-over a month-and still nothing aside from those same MD games and freeware.
But I was doing some googling before of buildup hype & interviews with the GG people-it made for some interesting reading. In one interview they couodn't say which games/systems they had, but would be announcing some in a couple of weeks- That was in Jan!
In every advert I see and look for, there is NOTHING saying you cannot put the purchased games onto the SDs,yet in FAQ it states clearly the memory consists of the internal space, and SD cards of any size...but still gives no mention you won't be able to use them for your '100,000+ retro gaming titles collection...'
They are full of censored IMO.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun May 13, 2012 4:09 am

I think you're right though AmigaJay, on all counts in regard to this console. I really wanted it to be as good as it sounded...! :wink:

subzero

Post by subzero » Sun May 13, 2012 4:31 am

anyone want to buy a gamegadget with 4gb memory card complete with roms and emulators!!!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun May 13, 2012 4:34 am

Sounds like this thing's selling about as well as PlayStation Vita is! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun May 13, 2012 7:10 am

Lol, it's a joke, it really is. Was just back on the forum, and that'll probably be the last time because I reckon they'll ban me for being a troll! But I'm just asking questions that should be asked, and deserve to be answered.
I've noticed I have had posts deleted- that were not abusive at all, merely pointing out the issue regarding the SD card-which they did not want to answer- so to me things are looking worse all the time. Lol I posted them again. As I left I noticed two GG owners that have had problems, got the issue fixed only to have the problem happen again two days later. And the game issue- what and when, is something they refuse to go into and will not answer.
I'll be watching it, partly with amusement but with real sympathy for those people who have bought these things in good faith- but I think I've wasted more than enough time on this thing. What a mess.
I don't know what your 'Fair trading office' is called over there, but I hope someone does take them to task for some of this crap. IMO the buildup advertising claims crossed the line into misleading, and some of the wording misleading (IMO) intentionally in regard to the SD card storage/games.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun May 13, 2012 9:16 am

kiwimike wrote:... Was just back on the forum, and that'll probably be the last time because I reckon they'll ban me for being a troll! But I'm just asking questions that should be asked, and deserve to be answered.

I've noticed I have had posts deleted- that were not abusive at all, merely pointing out the issue...

... which they did not want to answer
* A refusal to publicly acknowledge hardware issues raised by consumers

* (Potentially) banning forum members who dare to voice concerns regarding said hardware issues

* Censorship in action in a lame attempt to silence genuine consumer concerns regarding said hardware issues

* A refusal to meaningfully engage with consumers on the matter

Exactly like an official Sony PlayStation series internet forum then. :?

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 am

AmigaJay wrote: When you have followed the Gizmondo for some years like I did, then and only then you will understand the true meaning of lies and corruption
Gizmondo... the word I dare not speak just in case it's some sort of jinx for the GG. ;)