The Game Gadget

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

The Game Gadget

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Apologies if there's already another topic on this new handheld already....

I really like the look of this thing. I love it's design, and I love the whole idea/concept on which it's based- I think it's a fantastic idea. The price too is very attractive, I received an email this morning stating I can preorder it for $160 NZ, including p&p, and the launch 30 MD titles. Nice. That is a very tempting offer.

BUT

What is bothering me, and I replied to the email to ask (so may get a reply yet) is lack of info on what games are 'coming soon', what games are being rounded up for release later on- and even what games (aside from the free ones listed) can I get NOW, from the moment I receive this little beast.
And that's my worry- buying the thing, it doesn't take off, and you struggle to get games for it. Otherwise, this could be a brilliant solution to people like me who like retro games, and want a nice compact way to have them without a room full of old stuff, or simply looking for computer emulators. And legal!

Just wondering who's ordered straight away, who's interested but holding off to find out more about the download titles (that's me), and who's just simply not interested in it?

Jekylls Phd

Re: The Game Gadget

Post by Jekylls Phd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 pm

I initially ordered one but have since asked for a refund. They've been very quiet on what games will be comming out on it and the megadrive games they have shown you can get on one of those Blaze handhelds for half the price. The other thing is that it would appear the games are now going to priced at £4.99 not the £1.50 t0 £1.99 they first suggested, at that price you could get the original cartridge games. I really do hope it takes off the ground and if it does I'll perhaps consider getting one.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:15 am

Jekylls Phd wrote:I initially ordered one but have since asked for a refund. They've been very quiet on what games will be comming out on it and the megadrive games they have shown you can get on one of those Blaze handhelds for half the price. The other thing is that it would appear the games are now going to priced at £4.99 not the £1.50 t0 £1.99 they first suggested, at that price you could get the original cartridge games. I really do hope it takes off the ground and if it does I'll perhaps consider getting one.
Yes, they have been very quiet on 'coming soon' games, a current library you can get straight away, and so on. That's what worries me. I'm heisitant to use the word 'cagey' in regard to the library...but unless a decent list comes out stating what games you can get NOW, what games are going to be available in the next month, then two months, and so on...it concerns me enough not to purchase.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:01 am

I registered in an interest in the GameGadget so when I received an E-mail notification from them on Friday, I was quite excited to see what titles would be available from day one.

When I heard the word "SEGA" & saw it was the same Megadrive games endlessly recycled on their own Blaze consoles & other retro compilations, the disappointment set in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised in the slightest that those games were available from day one but I was hoping for a more varied buffet of formats than just the Megadrive. When you can buy their own Blaze units for less than half the prices of a Gamegadget (£79.99 if you pre-order) then it does appear less appealing. However, I do note that those 30 games are also free if you pre-order too. Still, I need to see more variety before I commit to what appears to be a promising venture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmaPXv4i93Y

Additionally, I would also say that £4.99 for each title is a bit steep in the i-tunes era.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:36 am

This thing will fall on its face, unless the get the price structure right for it. £80 is a bit steep for the console it self in the first place and £4.99 to download a ROM is not appealing at all.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:42 am

The price is something I can stomach, but only if we can start with a decent range very quickly, that is added to quickly. But I know I'm in a minority and many think 4.99 is too much, so that will be something needing addressing fast.
This had so much potential, but it will die a fast death unless a few things are ironed out quickly

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:54 am

£30 for the unit and £2 max per game and it might have stood a chance. £4.99 is even more than MD games cost on VC, and there you can play them on a proper telly with a classic controller.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:07 am

>Buying Virtua fighter 2 on MegaDrive

Seriously
If I was given it id want my money back

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:49 am

Seriously what have they done at the last minute?! As someone said above for the last month or two its been made public the games would be £1.49-£1.99 each with bundles of 10-15 games for £9.99 (its even still listed on Zavvi among others) and now they are asking £4.99 EACH GAME!! sorry they have lost the plot if that is the case, even at £1.49 a game it will struggle in a niche market, but you can write it off for anything other than being hacked for emulation purposes.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:21 am

...And no reply to my email, in regard to games lists: What will be available now, soon, and upcoming, what systems/titles are definately upcoming...aside from what you get with the preorder machine, it's all just vapourware.
And their lack of reply on the matter makes me very uneasy. I certainly will not be going near it until they can answer a few questions...

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:53 am

Expecting 'Joe Public' to fork out £4.99 price per game is just not realistic IMHO. Quite simply, the revised price point per game being bandied around will simply kill this console stone dead. It won't work!

No doubt if/when the GameGadget falls flat the lesson will be learned. However, by then I'm afraid it could well be too late and this will simply be consigned to the dustbin of history as yet another failed quirky console. Real shame.

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Looks pretty decent but is a bit too pricey for me.

The unit itself would have to come down a small amount maybe £20 or so and the games would have to be around the £1 mark nowhere near the £4.99 suggested

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:09 am

...And still no reply in regard to the games library. If they cannot answer genuine customer enquiries- and with something like this you do have a right to know what games/systems are lined up and when you can expect them- They can frankly **** off.
Shame, it was a good idea in principle.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

i was trying to decide between this and the SNK machine. The retarded 4.99 pricing and lack of game details has made choosing pretty easy. SNK it is.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:00 am

SNK for me too, as they have STILL not replied to my email. IMO this answers my question: They have no other games yet ready and available, and do not want to say. So you'll buy it, and in the meantime will be stuck with those MD games you could have got much cheaper.
Bad service, bad PR, and a bad way to entice customers to your new system that will need a user base quickly. Appalling really.
Anyone associated with the console: Feel free to reply in public right HERE. Why so expensive, why so cagey about what titles will be available, and when? Is this because there are no other titles ready to go yet?