Near the end of a generation: Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which has given you the most enjoyment, Wii, PS3 or 360?

Wii
27%
Xbox 360
44%
PS3
29%

Total votes: 96

slacey1070

Re: Near the end of a generation: Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360?

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:20 am

I didn't like the ending at all, great build up...then a disappointing end. A real cop out for me. Didn't spoil a cracking game though, just made the end feel like a bit of a chore.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:40 am

I'm not arguing with that - there's no reason at all why anyone should think the same way as I do. All I'm contesting is the idea that anyone who has played the ending knows that it's "horribly shitty", or some such. Or that the developers don't read books, or any other sweeping statement anyone might care to make.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 am

I've got all 3...played the 360 the most by far, PS3 mainly just sits there for Blu-Rays (and PS1/2 cos it's a 60GB) but the Wii was innovative and fun, although it's been ages since I've been on it. Wii Fit board in the corner of the conservatory!

So my vote goes to Wii for the happiness factor... :D

Chapperz
Long live the C64!!

SomeScrub

Post by SomeScrub » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:13 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:im sure if we look back on every review from every era we will find countless games that were overrated, and hasn't there always been highly rated games that didn't sell?

Not sure how retro shows doing well means modern games aren't cutting it, retro has always been popular in music, film, books etc, gaming has just taken an age to catch up and things like steam and XBLA have provided a way for more people to play the games of years gone by. I think the best games of today are at least as good, and in most cases better, than the best games of previous gens.
This. If anyone is seriously going to argue that this generation of consoles is inferior to generations past I would love to hear it. Many genre's are the best they have ever been, FPS, RTS, third person shooters, characters action games, platforming, even shumps and side scrollers are doing great. What in the world could the 32 bit generation bring to bear against this generation? What does it have that could compare to bayonetta in terms of character action? Oh that's right, that genre scarcely existed at the time. Even games like guardian heroes and radiant silver gun have simply superior versions on modern systems with online play.

Since I've started playing video games people have voiced this sentiment. That games glory days are past and the modern times are nothing but derivative decadence. This wasn't true then and it isn't true now. The genre's that are in vogue certainly have changed, but every genre under the sun is readily available through xbla or steam, psn. I just can't imagine giving up my 360 with all it's fantastic games new and old in lieu of pretty much any retro system. Now you get the best of both worlds, and emulation can supply anything retro that's missing for legal purchase. I just don't understand the modern is bad point of view, it just seems like people are wearing some very thick rose tinted glasses.
Fighting game, side scroller, shmup, and general arcade enthusiast.
Sfxt:Rufus, Hugo SF4:Bison, Gief, Rufus 3s:Hugo down to play fighter's, shumps, wudeva over xbla
WTB saturn/psp games

SomeScrub

Post by SomeScrub » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:I'm not arguing with that - there's no reason at all why anyone should think the same way as I do. All I'm contesting is the idea that anyone who has played the ending knows that it's "horribly shitty", or some such. Or that the developers don't read books, or any other sweeping statement anyone might care to make.
You aren't alone, I think red dead has one of the best endings in a video game.
Sfxt:Rufus, Hugo SF4:Bison, Gief, Rufus 3s:Hugo down to play fighter's, shumps, wudeva over xbla
WTB saturn/psp games

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:45 pm

SomeScrub wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:im sure if we look back on every review from every era we will find countless games that were overrated, and hasn't there always been highly rated games that didn't sell?

Not sure how retro shows doing well means modern games aren't cutting it, retro has always been popular in music, film, books etc, gaming has just taken an age to catch up and things like steam and XBLA have provided a way for more people to play the games of years gone by. I think the best games of today are at least as good, and in most cases better, than the best games of previous gens.
This. If anyone is seriously going to argue that this generation of consoles is inferior to generations past I would love to hear it. Many genre's are the best they have ever been, FPS, RTS, third person shooters, characters action games, platforming, even shumps and side scrollers are doing great. What in the world could the 32 bit generation bring to bear against this generation? What does it have that could compare to bayonetta in terms of character action? Oh that's right, that genre scarcely existed at the time. Even games like guardian heroes and radiant silver gun have simply superior versions on modern systems with online play.

Since I've started playing video games people have voiced this sentiment. That games glory days are past and the modern times are nothing but derivative decadence. This wasn't true then and it isn't true now. The genre's that are in vogue certainly have changed, but every genre under the sun is readily available through xbla or steam, psn. I just can't imagine giving up my 360 with all it's fantastic games new and old in lieu of pretty much any retro system. Now you get the best of both worlds, and emulation can supply anything retro that's missing for legal purchase. I just don't understand the modern is bad point of view, it just seems like people are wearing some very thick rose tinted glasses.
Ehh, mostly, I think it's just that some people (not all, of course) are kinda disappointed with how this particular console generation turned out.

Me, for instance. Of the three consoles, I, well, to start with I *hated* the Wii, of course.... then there's the PS3, which I originally bought because of LittleBigPlanet, and which I still have...... because of LittleBigPlanet, the damn thing doesnt have a whole lot of other use... I'll play fighting games on it sometimes, but that's seriously about it. There just is very little for me to do with it. And then, there's the 360. For quite awhile I had TWO of them. An NA unit and a JP unit. Buuuuuuut..... the NA unit was a glorified doorstop. It hardly EVER got used, because I found the localized game selection so ridiculously boring. I ended up just giving it away to my cousin. Havent regretted this for even the tiniest fraction of a second. Kept the JP one, which ONLY has 2 uses: 1, import shmups, and 2, pinball. It does literally NOTHING else.

.....and I'm not even gonna speak about the HANDHELDS. Let's just say I dont need anything more than the iPad there.

In all honesty, if it wasnt for LBP, I'd sell the PS3. The JP 360..... well, I KNOW I wont be seeing THOSE games in any other form, so I keep that, but DID get rid of the NA unit. And the Wii was the Wii. So in my case.... this particular console generation could not have BEEN more disappointing. As it is, I found it SO bad that I went from being a pure console gamer in previous generations, to a pure PC gamer THIS generation; and I've no intention of EVER going back. Likely, I'm just not buying the next round of consoles, because they'd be bloody useless to me.

And I really honestly do use the retro games/consoles waaaayyyyyy more than I use the current ones; there's no "rose tinted glasses" for me, it's my honest viewpoint that those are better, and instead of just SAYING that over and over again, I actually USE the things quite often.

So I can definitely understand why others might voice similar sentiments.

I've lost track of where I was going with this. Surprise!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Reading through this thread (and others), and I feel that there's a misconception with some gamers that more powerful hardware automatically means the games must be better. Not the case at all. Games are limited by the scope, imagination and talent of the developer. I've seen plenty of examples this gen where it's been obvious that the hardware wasn't being put to full use and the game itself wasn't any better than something similar I played on the previous gen. Sure, games like Skyrim wouldn't have been possible before. But not every game is on the scale of Skyrim, nor does every game have the development time of the likes of Skyrim.

The consoles that will always be remembered as the best are the ones that had the best games for them. The actual horsepower, capabilities and potential of the console itself are irrelevant if they're not always used in any meaningful way other than 'same old sh!t, shinier graphics!'
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:360... its the ultimate games machine
I think Microsoft have got the software right, especially when it comes to retro... but I'm just so disappointed with the faulty hardware. I know the newer model goes some way to sorting this out... but the RROD has really dented any confidence I had in Microsoft.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:26 am

batman877 wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:360... its the ultimate games machine
I think Microsoft have got the software right, especially when it comes to retro... but I'm just so disappointed with the faulty hardware. I know the newer model goes some way to sorting this out... but the RROD has really dented any confidence I had in Microsoft.
I've been through 6 of them, when the 6th one finally died and MS refused to help, saying that it was obviously my fault for breaking it, I took a hammer to it and bought a PS3 the next day

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Reading through this thread (and others), and I feel that there's a misconception with some gamers that more powerful hardware automatically means the games must be better. Not the case at all. Games are limited by the scope, imagination and talent of the developer. I've seen plenty of examples this gen where it's been obvious that the hardware wasn't being put to full use and the game itself wasn't any better than something similar I played on the previous gen. Sure, games like Skyrim wouldn't have been possible before. But not every game is on the scale of Skyrim, nor does every game have the development time of the likes of Skyrim.

The consoles that will always be remembered as the best are the ones that had the best games for them. The actual horsepower, capabilities and potential of the console itself are irrelevant if they're not always used in any meaningful way other than 'same old sh!t, shinier graphics!'
I think it matters a bit, even if it's not the be all and end all. The Wii obviously missed out on a lot of cross-platform games, and suffered poor quality ports of others, simply because the machine was too far below the baseline spec that the developers were working to. For all the great exclusives it had, it just missed out on too many of the bread and butter games to be capable of pleasing everyone this generation.

At the opposite end of the scale, despite PCs being a lot more powerful than the PS3 and 360, there aren't a huge amount of games with much to show for it other than a little bit of extra eye candy on the graphics, unless you're heavily into modding. Even then it's still things like VVVVVV and Minecraft that I end up playing on it.

SomeScrub

Post by SomeScrub » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:59 pm

.....and I'm not even gonna speak about the HANDHELDS. Let's just say I dont need anything more than the iPad there.
Unless you want games that require manual dexterity and don't revolve around social networks or puzzles. If the 3ds and vita end up being the last bastions of real games that are portable I'll probably hang on to them forever. Words with friends is fun, ninja gaiden is more fun.

Also I don't recall anyone in this thread making allusions to horse power being the most important aspect of a console. All I saw were people listing games that they felt were superior in some facet. Typically controls or online functionality are the reasons cited, not raw power. And why exactly isn't raw power important? I feel like if power wasn't a factor we wouldn't have moved past the vcs. That is obviously not the case. Many, many games from this generation wouldn't have been possible or at the very least would have lost a lot if they had been made on last generation or older hardware. Just look at shadow of the colossus it is just plain better on the ps3 because the ps2 was limited technically. Mass effect would hardly have been the same on the n64. The idea that raw power isn't important is quite silly, more power allows you to do more. That doesn't mean it will be utilized, but it open up possibility previously unfeasible.
WTB saturn/psp games

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:05 pm

^^This

Eat your nans pants

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:17 pm

SomeScrub wrote: This. If anyone is seriously going to argue that this generation of consoles is inferior to generations past I would love to hear it. Many genre's are the best they have ever been, FPS, RTS, third person shooters, characters action games, platforming, even shumps and side scrollers are doing great. What in the world could the 32 bit generation bring to bear against this generation? What does it have that could compare to bayonetta in terms of character action? Oh that's right, that genre scarcely existed at the time. Even games like guardian heroes and radiant silver gun have simply superior versions on modern systems with online play.
I much prefer the last gen to this gen. I don't think this gen has evolved very far in terms of ideas and gameplay, just the online which is a big thing and makes even mediocre games better. Not saying there aren't brilliant games out there, just not as many as I would like.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Definitely agree with Nakamura, there's a lack of obscure/inventive titles this gen due to the inflated development costs.

On a technical level everything is brilliant, it's difficult to play a PS2 era shooter and not lament the lack of various mechanics. That said, I enjoy playing crappy games that at least hold a different setting

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:38 pm

SomeScrub wrote:
Unless you want games that require manual dexterity and don't revolve around social networks or puzzles. If the 3ds and vita end up being the last bastions of real games that are portable I'll probably hang on to them forever. Words with friends is fun, ninja gaiden is more fun.
Ah, I DO get tired of hearing this one from people. Usually only proves that they've never tried it for themselves.

When I bring up the iPad, I DONT mean games like "Words with friends". I mean games like Mushi Futari, Darius Burst, various other shmups, various roguelikes, various arcade ports..... all in all, the sorts of games I play on here are usually the sorts that most gamers would find to be a bit too hard. Basically, lol, the sorts I'm playing on HERE require WAY more manual dexterity than most console/handheld/PC games.

I have over 150 games at this point. Probably about EIGHT of them are the sort that you are thinking of. All of the others? Alot of them are the same sort of thing you'd find on the other handhelds, or on console, or on PC. Hell, a good number of them are DIRECT ports from other systems. Darius Burst and Adventure Bar Story (RPG) come directly from the PSP, for instance. From the DS, alot of games actually, Square for instance putting alot of their FF-remakes on here that were on DS. These games all come with pretty much no changes, and in some cases (the shmups) actually control BETTER.

These things get a bizarre reputation among some players as only being good for casual games. After owning one for over one year and using it *really* damn often, I can say..... that's about 500% false. Dont get me wrong; I've never had a PROBLEM with "casual" games, and I find some of them to be very good. But I play on here the same exact sorts of games I'd buy on any other platform, and anyone that's listened to me yap on this forum enough probably already knows what those are, lol.

AKA, dont bash it before you try it. Though I think part of the problem is that games like Angry Birds get WAY too much press and exposure, and also there's the fact that the App Store itself is bloody horrible; FINDING these games among the 204762904767240607 other apps can be difficult.

Simply put though.... I'll *never* go back to the handhelds, not after seeing what can be done on one of these, and after seeing just HOW MANY games are available. Even the controls are usually spot-on; it depends on the devs though. One of my favorite platformers, Robot Wants Kitty, is a perfect example of someone getting the controls EXACTLY RIGHT. I would not do any better at that game by having a real controller; it'd be EXACTLY the same.

And I'm thinking some of the other iOS fans on the forums here can probably back me up on this, as I know alot of them have played some of the same games that I have.