Near the end of a generation: Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which has given you the most enjoyment, Wii, PS3 or 360?

Wii
27%
Xbox 360
44%
PS3
29%

Total votes: 96

LAIS

Near the end of a generation: Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360?

Post by LAIS » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:41 pm

This isn't a "which console is best" thread, that's very go nowhere - but I thought it would be interesting to see which console people have enjoyed the most as we approach the end of this generation and the start of the next. Although it's often slated as pandering to casuals, when I sit down and think about which console I've had the most enjoyment from this generation, hand on heart I'd have to say the Wii.

It opened up gaming to become a more social affair - and whether it's through a blast on Wii Sports or Boom Blox it's just pure fun.

On top of that I think on hindsight people will realize there are some cracking games for the Wii - Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy 1/2, Smash Bros, No More Heroes, Little King's Story and Sin and Punishment to name a few. And then there's the Virtual Console, with a great backlog of retro gems.

Which console has given you the most enjoyment, and why?

ShadowNeku

Re: Near the end of a generation: Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360?

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Definately Xbox 360. Not necessarily for exclusives for the system but just because its been the main console for the household since we got one. Tons of quality games reflecting all genres and XBLA houses some of the best games ive ever played.

The Wii has ashamedly been underused in our house, mainly on the basis i dont have a decent place to set it up.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:05 pm

Despite all of its issues and limitations I've really enjoyed owning a Wii these past few years.

My vote went to PS3 though. The main reason being the utterly sublime OutRun Online Arcade and, er, erm, oh yeah, Blu-ray Disc movies too :wink: .

For the first couple of years from launch I sometimes wondered if I should have bought an Xbox 360 instead of PS3 but, a few XBLA exclusives aside, I'm sure glad I went with PS3... albeit that my expensively purchased 60GB launch model died and had to be replaced with a PS3 'slim' at my own expense due to Sony having somehow gotten away with the YLoD disgrace.

Once bitten twice shy though as I most certainly won't be buying 'PS4' at launch no matter how good it may be.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:22 pm

No surprises here - I've gone for the Wii. The PS3 and Xbox 360 were certainly great machines with some very decent games but I do think the Wii pushed gaming into some new and exciting shapes while those machines were more about consolidation - the same games and genres that were available on the last couple of generations of hardware, just prettier.

Thanks to my PC I've played a fair few of this gen's best HD titles including Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, GTAIV, Oblivion and Mass Effect but I still think Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword were my favourite games of this gen, so it's an easy win for the unassuming white box.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:31 pm

** What Killbot said

I do have both an Xbox 360 and PS3 and have similarly played most of this gens HD games that I actually want to play but by and large a good Wii game usually entertains me a lot more than a good Xbox 360/PS3 game...given that I'm not really a massive online gamer.

The Wii's Virtual Console has also been fantastic too...overpriced in some aspects, but I've been able to try many titles that I didn't really know about before. I've pretty much discovered how great the PC-Engine is/was because of the Wii's Virtual Console and for that alone, it gets a massive thumbs up from me. :)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:40 pm

For me it's been the Playstation 3 for the reasons below:

Exclusives: Yes the 360 had a few crackers but it's hugely outnumbered by the PS3's brilliant offerings. Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Heavy Rain, God of War, Metal Gear, inFamous, I could go on. Then there's all the previous 360 exclusives like Mass Effect 2 that eventually made their way over with more content.

Media Capabilities - The ability to store & display all of my music, photos, Blu Ray playback & digital videos from the intuitive XMB means the PS3 is ALWAYS plugged in to my TV. I think it's the only system I own that can claim that..

Trophies: Scoff if you will but I think they add a lot to a game's longevity. They're also far better than the 360's achievement system, for reasons I won't bother with.

lastly...REAL CONTROLS. A JOY PAD.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:57 pm

i really would want to say Wii, but that has a bit too few titles that i thoroughly enjoyed

i'll have to say Xbox 360, it has been the main console for me the past generation with a host of great titles (not necessarily exclusives) and it isn't even finished at the moment

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Yeah 360 for me because of the amount choice via retail, XBLA & Indie. Plus, the online aspect trounces the Wii quite comfortably.

Bought a Wii initially which had one or two good games (HOTD: Overkill & T vs Capcom) but it was the VC which I used the most. Nice to have the service but there was a lack of quality in Wii releases generally so I traded in for Microsofts baby. Plus the fact it finally had Wi-Fi built in!
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:32 pm

360, its the best machine I have ever had

brilliant games, awesome online, vast amount of retro content, xbla, great control pad, its the ultimate games machine

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:53 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:360, its the best machine I have ever had

brilliant games, awesome online, vast amount of retro content, xbla, great control pad, its the ultimate games machine
As above.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:00 pm

The Wii for sure. It reminds me how fun gaming is.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:55 pm

The Wii. Despite it's specs, truck load of shovelware, and other criticisms others it had, I found many enjoyable games such as the Mario Galaxies, Skyward Sword and many others. The Virtual Console also provided many retro moments I missed and got me really into the retro collecting game, as well as made me discover a little console known as the Turbografx.

360 has been great for me, but I've played my Wii much more then that. STILL don't own a PS3... :/
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:01 pm

I'd agree. While 360 & PS3 have similiar games, because there are so many more 360s around, the games seem to be more plentiful- and because of that- get cheaper faster and more available. So from that point of view, the gaming set up is cheaper, and cheaper to continue buying titles. The controller is my preference as well.
The Wii- had it been earlier in this gen, would've got my vote. But it's like junk food- fun for a while but then wears off. 360 and PS3 offer the more full gaming experience, and the 360 pips the PS3 for gaming specifically- but only just, in terms of value IMO.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:05 pm

FatTrucker wrote:

As above.
I concur. Probably one of the best machines I've ever had the fortune to play, and enjoy.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm

I've voted for Wii. I probably play PS3 more nowadays, but during the 'generation' I've probably enjoyed the Wii more. I've played Mario Kart for many hours, and Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are still amazing. I've still got Zelda Twilight Princess to play through. I started it, but decided to play the games in order, so used the Virtual Console to get Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past and Ocarina of time. The Wii was a great machine to make gaming fun again, and I'm hoping that the new Wii does the same.