What gimmicky effects amaze you every time?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: What gimmicky effects amaze you every time?

Post by Rayne » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:45 pm

The moment the soldiers follow your footprints in the snow in Metal Gear Solid, that was awesome

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Uridium - the drop dead gorgeous sprite animation when you switch directions when controlling the Manta class space fighter.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:29 pm

The classic MegaDrive waterfall effect, cheesey, over used, but mesmerising.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:25 am

Fog! Yes fog in Lotus Turbo Challenge 2. My jaw dropped when I saw that. It looked like the real thing :lol:

In subsequent years, Foggy weather would become commonplace in PSone games to hide the short draw distance.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:19 am

Nemesis wrote:Fog! Yes fog in Lotus Turbo Challenge 2. My jaw dropped when I saw that. It looked like the real thing :lol:

In subsequent years, Foggy weather would become commonplace in PSone games to hide the short draw distance.
I still think the rain effects on the Storm level are the best on any game I've ever played.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:36 am

I'm a sucker for impressive water effects too. I remember coming back from the pub one night, early 2000s, switching on the Gamecube to play Wave Race Blue Storm and instead of playing we sat back to discuss the impressive, mesmerising, water effects on the title screen.

Gears of War had some impressively dark and brooding water. Whilst playing co-op with a friend, a different freind, we took a moment out of the melee and stood side by side to admire the rolling waves. More than a little surreal.

I'm almost always lured in by slick human animation in 8 & 16 bit games. Impossible Mission was almost too good to be true when I saw it in '84 and I still love to see Agent 4125 stride around Atombender's lair like he owns the place. Then there's the obvious Flashback and Another World. I'm sure there are more, but I can't recall them.

I used to be impressed by the idle animations of characters. I think a lot of 16 bit characters developed some kind of nervous twitch when you left them standing for too long and some were actually pretty funny. I seem to recall a thread about this recently.....

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:01 am

The parallex scroll used in 'Destiny Mission' for spectrum - ace effect. Game not so bad.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Lighting effects. I always tend to think of Need for Speed 3 on the PSone. There's a track called Hometown which you can play at night in stormy conditions. I was impressed when I first saw it. Racing at night, pitch black with only your headlights breaking the gloom. Interspersed with flashes of sheet lightning together with the red & blue lights of the police cars as they give chase.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Playstation GranTurismo; the way the wheels would do that optical illusion and appear to spin backwards. I LOVED THAT! Do they still do that in newer GTs ?
Usually I found it's the subtle things, though.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:43 pm

In leisure suit larry 3 I got impressed with the effect of seeing larry's reflection in the mirror in the hotel!

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Fading the palette into different colours so it looks like the sun is setting in Ridge Racer Revolution. Also, I can't remember the first game I saw do it, but a similar trick to make the screen whiter to mimic the blindness of coming out of a tunnel into bright sunlight.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 am

I tend to like the early clean polygon look in arcade games i.e. Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:55 am

joefish wrote:Fading the palette into different colours so it looks like the sun is setting in Ridge Racer Revolution. Also, I can't remember the first game I saw do it, but a similar trick to make the screen whiter to mimic the blindness of coming out of a tunnel into bright sunlight.
That reminds me, Super Burnout on the Jaguar does this.

Day turns to night and the moon even rises and the lights on your bike come on, it's amazingly subtle and so impressive.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Me? You want to know what wows me? Well, I just love a scrolling message. You simply dont get them anymore. A programmer friend of mine said Hi to me in a couple of commodore 64 demo scrolling messages back in the 80's, you can imagine how elated i was. I think one of the demos was called Freakout and was a fairly basic arkanoid clone with several selectable tunes... ah, scrolling messages.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:43 pm

As an ST owner i was always impressed by any game that featured smooth scrolling (especially horizontal) and ran at a half decent speed!
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink: