PS1 Games Collecting.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

norm7446

PS1 Games Collecting.

Post by norm7446 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Been scanning the usual suspect's for new games to add to my growing PS1 collection. When a thought accrued to me. Does anyone else not buy a Platinum Edition of the games they are looking for even if it is available.

Of my small so far 40+ games collection I have only one Platinum game and that is only because I was given it by my bother. Other than that I would not spend 1p on that copy. OK if the case was in top nick then maybe 1p other wise for me it might as well a, a.. ( own imagination required ).

Am I missing out or am I just being ... Anal about it.
Rise from your Grave...

noobish hat

Re: PS1 Games Collecting.

Post by noobish hat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:56 pm

I don't think I've ever bought a platinum edition, but I do have quite a few. Not sure where they came from. They look like ass - the horrible cheap colouring makes them stand out (in a bad way), they don't have picture discs, and the instructions are in black and white. From a collector's perspective, they are a blight. From a gamer's perspective, however (and I've recently been leaning more towards actually playing games, no matter the condition), I would say if it's a great game and cheaper than black label, buy it!

van

Post by van » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:58 pm

something about them almost feel "diet" to me. Like it's ALMOST there, but lacking something.
The box/case art seems so cheap with the unintended "PLAYERS CHOICE" or "PLATINUM" banner running across the cover.

In the USA, Sega was a terrible offender...

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:04 pm

It never really bothered me. As a young teen, i used to spend a lot of my money on PS1 games and all i cared about was playing them! Not big on collecting for the PS1 now as i have most of the games i want on the console (and many are platinum!) Now im more interested on playing games i missed out on on the PS2.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I think this one takes some beating. There's a box on the box. DOUBLEBOX.

I really don't know why they chose do to this. Is there some sort of legal problem, that means they're obliged to make budget editions look ten times crummier?

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:19 am

I always just bought the game the cheapest way I could find it to play, so packaging is not an issue, I would have an issue if parts of the budget games content were edited in anyway though, I like to go for the full uncut versions of things, be it films/music/games etc.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:22 am

Price is the arbiter.
The lower, the better!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:12 am

When I bought games it was to play them, didn't give ten sh*ts whether it was platty or not!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

norm7446

Post by norm7446 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Yea. If I want just wanting to play games. It would not be a prob.. But for me there is just something about them that I do not like..
Rise from your Grave...

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:06 pm

I'd like to know the heirarchy of the different labels to be honest. I know Platinum versions were released once a game became really popular, with a lower price tag, but what about Black Label or Playstation The Best versions? Where do they fit in? My Raiden Project is a "The Best" title but it's so hard to find under any label these days at a reasonable price that I'm happy just to own and be able to play it!

Of course if you're talking about being anal about originality etc, then there's the whole spinecard debate... :shock:

Ant
PAL PS2, GC+freeloader, PAL PS1 (Jp-import-chipped), Jp Sega Saturn, PAL DC
Sore thumbs