Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:19 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well thanks to Nakamura I now have a rather nifty little retro set-up. It has a SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2 in it. I'm going to see how that goes and with any luck having a dedicated room will get me back into playing. I personally don't see the point in collecting stuff just for the sake of it, but I'm glad people do, because it's going to help document stuff a hell of a lot easier in the future.
Although I'm not interested in keeping a collection myself, I fully appreciate the gamers that do and can provide some great photo reference for mags and books, and get interviewed on the likes of coin op TV for fellow gaming nerds like myself :)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:21 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well thanks to Nakamura I now have a rather nifty little retro set-up. It has a SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2 in it. I'm going to see how that goes and with any luck having a dedicated room will get me back into playing. I personally don't see the point in collecting stuff just for the sake of it, but I'm glad people do, because it's going to help document stuff a hell of a lot easier in the future.
By god Gradius V looked amazing.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:27 am

So, you've decided to keep the lot then? Wise choice. There's been many times I've sold (or given away) stuff, then regretted it a lot afterwards (like the Jaguar :( I miss Tempest 2K), and if you have a big collection, just one thing gone, and you still would miss it, or want to play it again.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:28 am

JetSetWilly wrote:So, you've decided to keep the lot then? Wise choice. There's been many times I've sold (or given away) stuff, then regretted it a lot afterwards (like the Jaguar :( I miss Tempest 2K), and if you have a big collection, just one thing gone, and you still would miss it, or want to play it again.
I don't think he will be keeping the lot, just sorting out what stays and what goes.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 am

Also giving my PSX collection those same "what dont I like" eyes

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 am

Thanks Kiki :D wasn't be a troll, just thought it was a bit odd how 'CIH' said he/she had no interst in games but had clocked over 600+ posts.. Thing is I couldn't think of one post that they made... I do totally with the Magazines I still read my Super Plays, Mean Machines, Commodore Users the RG's I read once and recycle. I think the old magazines hold up so much better then todays, I think the Chavvy PS1 Magazine era really ruined magazines for me and thats when I stopped buying.. As I never watch TV, only Corrie and things when spending time with the Girlfriend I'd be at a loss without games..

I also like talking about games but I always wondered if somebody doesn't play new games and has no interest in old games, it seems odd posting on a Retro Forum!!! But each to there own
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:38 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well thanks to Nakamura I now have a rather nifty little retro set-up. It has a SNES in it.
Corrected for 'retro' ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 am

PS2 isn't retro :P

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:55 pm

I just dont ever get rid of anything ... i should really, ive got nearly 200 games consoles/pcs/ handhelds, and lost count of the number of games and accessories ive collected over 30 years , i used to list everything but gave up about 5 years ago.
Most of what ive got is in the loft, and only my Atari and commodore stuff is downstairs along with my 360.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:12 pm

I've been tempted a few times to cull down what I have but never to get rid of everything in one swoop.
I usually end up wanting back whatever I get rid of, there's a few things I wouldn't sell such as my first ever PS2 game, the rare stuff in my collection, certain collectors and special editions and a couple of games I really couldn't be without.

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:53 am

I need to have a purge soon. Got a rare Qoob chipped Gamecube that I've been umming & aahing about for some time. Got PS1s, a boxed MD, a NeoGeo Pocket Colour, a GP2X, some weird Far Eastern thing called "Terminator 2" - yes I could do with the cash for other projects so watch this space...

Chapperz :cry:
Long live the C64!!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:07 am

oldtimer wrote:I just dont ever get rid of anything ... i should really, ive got nearly 200 games consoles/pcs/ handhelds, and lost count of the number of games and accessories ive collected over 30 years , i used to list everything but gave up about 5 years ago.
Most of what ive got is in the loft, and only my Atari and commodore stuff is downstairs along with my 360.
200? Is that it :shock:

I have several thousand games now . . . .

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
oldtimer wrote:I just dont ever get rid of anything ... i should really, ive got nearly 200 games consoles/pcs/ handhelds, and lost count of the number of games and accessories ive collected over 30 years , i used to list everything but gave up about 5 years ago.
200? Is that it :shock:

I have several thousand games now . . . .
He said 200 systems, not games.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Never tempted to sell but go through periods of not buying, my games room is underused but still really enjoy using it. When the nephews and friends come around its great, when not it is not as much fun.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:50 pm

DPrinny wrote:Also giving my PSX collection those same "what dont I like" eyes
That'll be pretty much everything gone then, won't it? :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)