Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Misery wrote:Ugh, I wouldnt even consider doing this myself.

I have no real hobbies beyond this. Not to mention there isnt exactly much else for me to do. Gaming is pretty much the main thing I've been into for as long as I can remember.

The money wouldnt be of any use to me anyway.
Now, about 10 years ago I would have been exactly the same, but my interest has decreased to almost nil, especially in the last year or so. Save for a little of the retro stuff I have no interest in games whatsoever. I grew-up with CPCs, Sega MS, SNES, N64 & PS1, PC, DC, Xbox, GC and so on so it felt very strange.

I sold my '360 last year and haven't missed it at all, though I quite fancy an (original) Xbox now I think about it....

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:58 pm

CIH wrote:

I have no real hobbies beyond this. Not to mention there isnt exactly much else for me to do. Gaming is pretty much the main thing I've been into for as long as I can remember.

Now, about 10 years ago I would have been exactly the same, but my interest has decreased to almost nil, especially in the last year or so. Save for a little of the retro stuff I have no interest in games whatsoever. I grew-up with CPCs, Sega MS, SNES, N64 & PS1, PC, DC, Xbox, GC and so on so it felt very strange.

I sold my '360 last year and haven't missed it at all, though I quite fancy an (original) Xbox now I think about it....
I felt the same...lost interest in having a personal game museum. In the end, it just seemed so pointless, when a few books could bring back the memories instead. Selling them got rid of clutter and gave me heaps of room, and wasn't too shabby in the $$$ dept either! I'm into art so the cash got me some decent art gear for that hobby (and a nice new tv as well).
I still have the gamecube (that was my 'current' console until buying the 360)- but that will go in the next few weeks- If the reserve gets meet! If not, it'll go back in the cupboard for a year or so until the demand spikes.
That is certainly one thing about selling your collection- Got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...demand flows & ebs, there'll be no interest on one occasion, and a crazy bidding war the next :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:19 pm

...Of course, it is something that is totally up to the individual. Selling them all was right for me. For others, who really treasure them, or still play them a lot, it seems as silly for them to sell them as it was for me to keep them!
If you don't need the money, and your spouse/what have you is interested in the hobby as well, there isn't an issue in keeping them. If you find they're just clutter, you find you aren't interested anymore, and especially if the piles of old games are making the better half unhappy- then it's a good idea to give it serious though as to have a bit of a cull.
Sell 'em, treat your family to a new TV or holiday! :)

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Sold various bits of my collection over the years - bought some of it back - and then sold other bits again. What is left of my collection now resides in the loft and I'll probably trim it back again on an ebay free listing weekend. Made a small fortune over the years - paid for most of my deposit for my 1st house. Sold items all over the world via ebay - USA, Canada, Singapore, Japan etc etc. Also sold my Retro gamer collection and now just collect the "collections" and the odd issue that interests me. I hardly ever play on the real hardware now, and use emulation for my "fix".
I still like looking through the old boxes and manuals occasionally though - I have an Origin/Ultima collection and the manuals, cloth maps, coins etc can't be emulated ;-)
c64 > spectrum 48k

aazdogg

Post by aazdogg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Relatively new to collecting games so i cant imagine selling a collection, In the last year i have managed to pick up about 8 consoles and close to 3-400 games. I have a few things that i have bought that i would let go but i view my collection as a passion and not to make money on.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:38 pm

I've sold my collection about 8 times now :lol:

I had a brilliant GC collection at one point with all the 'rare' titles. Then there was the half-baked sealed collection, the giant DS collection...part of the problem for me was that I was collecting desirable items that I had no intention to play or use because they didn't personally interest me (games like Tales of freaking Symphonia).

I do have the collector bug though, I can't deny :oops: in one week I went from 1 PSP game to 30...

At the end of the day, they're just games. Life is about so much more than that! If getting rid of a dusty collection of games funds a holiday abroad, a new car, a wedding, then do it!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:44 am

Yep, flogged a lot of it last year to have my entire house refitted and redecorated.
They're just games, man. Just games.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
RetroBob wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:No..
What a strange thing to even consider.. :?
Haha, yeah I wouldn't consider it either to be honest.
Well we're all different I guess. I can't justify hoarding stuff I simply don't play at the moment.
See, that's exactly the reason why I don't understand people who complain when collectors don't play their games often enough. It is very simple: If your only reason to buy a retro game is to play it, then don't buy it. Unless you're smart enough to sell it on immediately after completing it. And even more so, don't buy games to play them "one day" if that's your only reason. Collecting will only be a lasting hobby if you also care about the historical backgrounds, love to compare games, love to try rubbish ones to find out about them, love digging for hidden gems, enjoy reading manual, LOVE (not loathe) the fact that they fill entire shelves, love to read through old magazines. If you only want to play them, just either do it on an emulator or use the buy-play-sell method one at a time. Obviously it is pointless just storing a lot of cartridges in some box that you have marked off as "finished". No wonder people sell off sets like that.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:48 am

I sold my entire retro collection a few years ago as we needed cash at the time and the vast majority of it just lived in the loft. It consisted of pretty much every major system from every major manufacturer dating all the way back to the late 70's, literally scores of systems, thousands of original games, loads of peripherals and some very nice rarities. Sold it all as a joblot. While emulation fills any gap that might have been left by being able to play any of the old systems, and the fact that I know I would never have been a*sed to bring them down out of the loft and set them up when I fancied playing something, I started to miss owning them from the second the guy picked it all up. A lot of it was to do with the fact that my collection consisted mostly of machines I had collected over 30 years of gaming and had owned and used when they were still contemporary systems.

I still think it was the right thing to do as they would have just been deteriorating in a dusty loft whereas now at least they're being used again, and the money did come in handy, but every now and then I do have a wistful browse on ebay, just to see how much it might cost to own them all again. I think when I eventually have a dedicated game space that will do them justice I'll probably buy most of the systems back simply to have them on display.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 am

CIH wrote:

But you have 600 + posts on a forum talking about that doesn't interest you? Not taking a pop at you I don't see the logic, same with everybody who sold there collections, how many DVDs or CDs do you have and how often do you listen to that or are they gathering dust..

A lot of these people who say they don't play games spend all there time on several forums talking about them

Darren I would have thought mists of those blue rays where only good for one watch unless they where comedy!
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:59 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

Normally I wouldn't and if it was just me it wouldn't be an issue. I have a wife and two kids though and it's not fair on Mel that the house is turning into a veritable aladdin's cave of retro crap. Well not crap, but you know what I mean. It's the letting go that's the hardest part. I recently culled my Blu-Ray collection down from 350 to around 290. It wasn't easy, but you do feel better once you start doing it,
Why not just sell the Blue Rays how many films are so good that you watch them more than once? If I had Total Recall or the Wraith on Blue Ray as I watched those two films loads of times..

Same with that Video thread I sold all my games but I have 500 video's.. I kept one video Red Riding Hood Horror channel material which is practically unwatchable the video is so grainy, and how people think games take up space but Videos don't.. The skips are full of video's, Video Recorders and CRT TV's and the Charity shops refuse to take Video's.. DVD's are almost as worthless in work they where selling stuff like Amelie, Leon, all the Harry Potters and all the Pirates of the Carribean on DVD 50p each
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:00 pm

get rid of the lot :D

seriously though, ive been toying with it for a while now, i've said a few times to people if there was someone who offered me a good price to take the lot in one go then i would consider it (got about a thousand games or so and every system). i have 2 kids, no time to play games hardly (as i work evenings) but the one thing thats saved me so far is the fact my missus is ace and loves old games (and i have a loft kitted out so its all out of the way - bar the mame cab in the living room).

i've sold all my 8-bit and most of my 16-bit computers leaving just consoles, even sold the stuff i'd had since i was 4 (now 33) and thought it would be hard to part with some of it. Actually, once i sold it i never thought about it since. I quite enjoy selling bits too.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:21 am

Shinobi wrote:
CIH wrote:

But you have 600 + posts on a forum talking about that doesn't interest you? Not taking a pop at you I don't see the logic, same with everybody who sold there collections, how many DVDs or CDs do you have and how often do you listen to that or are they gathering dust..

A lot of these people who say they don't play games spend all there time on several forums talking about them

Darren I would have thought mists of those blue rays where only good for one watch unless they where comedy!

I didn't say that I didn't play games (just speaking for myself here), simply I'd lost interest in keeping and collecting past systems, it felt pointless to me. I still love and have a passion for games. Which means playing on the one current system I have, or the one retro machine I kept- and still enjoy reading/watching about games history through mags/books/dvds, and discussions on forums like this. I probably enjoy reading about them more than playing them. But everyone's different of course. :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:40 am

Well thanks to Nakamura I now have a rather nifty little retro set-up. It has a SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2 in it. I'm going to see how that goes and with any luck having a dedicated room will get me back into playing. I personally don't see the point in collecting stuff just for the sake of it, but I'm glad people do, because it's going to help document stuff a hell of a lot easier in the future.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 am

Im giving my PS2 collection those "what dont I want" looks