Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Rayne » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:23 am

Ferret Oxide wrote:
Rayne wrote:I must admit I'm seriously tempted to get rid of it all now that I have extensive travelling lined up..

My only trouble is I'd rather sell joblots than individual. If I sold a £3 Xbox game on the bay, by the time I cover a jiffy bag, postage, paypal & ebay fees I'd likely be making a loss :shock:

If I am to sell I'll be starting with my Vita and moving downward...suppose it depends if any soul actually WANTS the stuff :lol:
Are you sick of your Vita already?
Quite the opposite, the vita is the nicest handheld I've ever owned (and I've owned a boat-load!) realistically if I'm to be travelling it'd make more sense to take a PSP as the games are way cheaper, plus the Vita still holds its value ATM - hence my temptation to sell..

I still think it had one of the best launch lineups of any system in recent history too :)
Image

User avatar
Babbage
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Babbage » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I don't really have a collection beyond a modest Dreamcast haul, and I don't think I really want one as it would just sit there. I might get into a 2nd console at somepoint, but that really would be it.

User avatar
Ferret Oxide
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Loading screen

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Rayne wrote:
Ferret Oxide wrote:
Rayne wrote:I must admit I'm seriously tempted to get rid of it all now that I have extensive travelling lined up..

My only trouble is I'd rather sell joblots than individual. If I sold a £3 Xbox game on the bay, by the time I cover a jiffy bag, postage, paypal & ebay fees I'd likely be making a loss :shock:

If I am to sell I'll be starting with my Vita and moving downward...suppose it depends if any soul actually WANTS the stuff :lol:
Are you sick of your Vita already?
Quite the opposite, the vita is the nicest handheld I've ever owned (and I've owned a boat-load!) realistically if I'm to be travelling it'd make more sense to take a PSP as the games are way cheaper, plus the Vita still holds its value ATM - hence my temptation to sell..

I still think it had one of the best launch lineups of any system in recent history too :)
Good reasoning. You're less crazy than I thought. :D

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:02 pm

This is the first lot to go
I have the following US N64 cartridges I'm planning on getting rid of.
Ocarina Of Time
Pokemon Snap
Mischief Makers
Smash Bros
Pilotwings 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Mario Kart 64 Gauntlet Legends
Goldeneye
Super MArio 64
1080 Snowboarding
Diddy Kong Racing
Perfect Dark
Conkers Bad Fur Day
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox 64
Majora's Mask

I also have Sin & Punishment.
Are they worth selling seperately or in a bundle?
Image

shiffy
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:37 am

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by shiffy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:This is the first lot to go
I have the following US N64 cartridges I'm planning on getting rid of.
Ocarina Of Time
Pokemon Snap
Mischief Makers
Smash Bros
Pilotwings 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Mario Kart 64 Gauntlet Legends
Goldeneye
Super MArio 64
1080 Snowboarding
Diddy Kong Racing
Perfect Dark
Conkers Bad Fur Day
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox 64
Majora's Mask

I also have Sin & Punishment.
Are they worth selling separately or in a bundle?
Personally, I think you'll get more selling these individually rather than as a job lot. Are these boxed with instructions or cartridge only? Even as cart only, you'll still get a pretty penny for these! Although if you're planning on the Ebay route it's a little hard work.
I have to admit that I'm a little out of touch with what NTSC N64 games go for now, but you've got most of the big-hitters there which will easily sell. I recently helped a mate out with an Ebay listing for Sin & Punishment that I was told ended at about £40.00 (6 months ago maybe).

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:20 pm

They are just cartridges unfortunately
Image

User avatar
SpecChum81
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:11 am
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:17 am

No, never been tempted to sell my retro games/systems, they mean to much to me and I love them too much!

However, if someone came up with an offer of say a couple million then that could possibly twist my arm... :wink:
Press Play On Tape

User avatar
Evermore
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Evermore » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:58 pm

shiffy wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:This is the first lot to go
I have the following US N64 cartridges I'm planning on getting rid of.
Ocarina Of Time
Pokemon Snap
Mischief Makers
Smash Bros
Pilotwings 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Mario Kart 64 Gauntlet Legends
Goldeneye
Super MArio 64
1080 Snowboarding
Diddy Kong Racing
Perfect Dark
Conkers Bad Fur Day
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox 64
Majora's Mask

I also have Sin & Punishment.
Are they worth selling separately or in a bundle?
Personally, I think you'll get more selling these individually rather than as a job lot. Are these boxed with instructions or cartridge only? Even as cart only, you'll still get a pretty penny for these! Although if you're planning on the Ebay route it's a little hard work.
I have to admit that I'm a little out of touch with what NTSC N64 games go for now, but you've got most of the big-hitters there which will easily sell. I recently helped a mate out with an Ebay listing for Sin & Punishment that I was told ended at about £40.00 (6 months ago maybe).
Those are some of the greatest video games ever made :shock: You really aren't going to make a whole lot out of selling them though. Why not stick them in a box and forget about them for a few years, then go back when you want some classic Nintendo gaming? censored like Starfox and Ocarina never get old. Sin & Punishment is astound too.

In general, I think if you be very selective with what you buy you won't end up with stuff that you regret getting and feel the need to sell off. Thats from my own experience anyway. I never feel like offloading my Saturn or Ninty wares as I love their libraries.

Looking at my own collection, the only games I would be tempted to sell on are the EA / Activision titles of this world. I've only got a few duffers. But I can't be bothered in all honesty to sell as they are near worthless. Might as well keep them and play them in years to come out of curiosity or something. You never know when you might want to play a particular game again.

ulala
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:19 am

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by ulala » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:They are just cartridges unfortunately
You simply cannot sell your retro collection. Say it ain't so?

:(

AmigaJay
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Been tempted, sold it, started another collection, sold it..you get the picture, unfortunately real life gets in the way of my gaming life and numourous times Ive had to sell stuff to get some money.
I'd love to collect and keep it all but I don't have a house big enough or enough money just to spent on games.

User avatar
Evermore
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Evermore » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:15 pm

ulala wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:They are just cartridges unfortunately
You simply cannot sell your retro collection. Say it ain't so?

:(
I'm very surprised Darran is thinking of selling on his Saturn shooters - they are some of the best, most collectable games out there, and he's the editor of a retro games mag, so it seems rather strange as he has mentioned his passion for shmups in the past.

Maybe Darran is getting jaded with games - after all its his profession to play them and edit a magazine about them - maybe he's fed up of it all? As much as I love games, they are a hobby to me and I certainly wouldn't want to play them as a job. I get tired of the things too from time to time - hopefully he's only going through a period of meh right now and he won't do anything too silly without some serious consideration.

jb1014
Posts: 384
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:56 pm
Location: woking

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by jb1014 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:34 am

yes, and I did, a few years ago. I had md, snes, n64, ps1, gamecube, speccie, c64, pc engine, game gear, neo geo pocket colour, atari lynx, modded xbox and sega nomad. got rid of everything except the nomad and xbox. Reason? work, kids, space etc. usual stuff.

now kids are a bit older, I've dusted off the modded xbox and that's back on the tv and have then playing sonic etc. its loaded up with thousands of games across all the main 90s consoles as well as arcade stuff. Nomad and 200+ loose games kept in bedside drawer (for when I wake up early and everyone else is alseep!). I don't let them touch the nomad!

User avatar
ninty
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:39 am

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by ninty » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:51 am

I'm currently selling of my jpn ntsc snes stuff and using the money for my other collections. Getting rid of one collection to increase another :D win win I say :D

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:54 am

Well I've sold my 360 shooter collection, my lynx, mega drive and a lot of n64 stuff.
I'm not going to get rid of my Saturn Though :)
Image

User avatar
ninty
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:39 am

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by ninty » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:13 am

Well I've sold my 360 shooter collection, my lynx, mega drive and a lot of n64 stuff.
That's why I saw you driving that ferrari f50 the other day although the girly in front didn't have blonde hair :wink: :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests