Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:04 pm

No..
What a strange thing to even consider.. :?

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:No..
It's been a long time since we last saw you mate! :D

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 pm

No way! I have only just about gathered up most of the stuff I originally had, then sold on, back in the day. I've got most of it all again, all in one room. I don't drink or smoke (any more) so it's all there now for when I wanna go and have a blast.

Pointless selling it, prices are going up and if I did sell, I'd only end up wanting to get it all back again in 10 years time and wouldn't be able to afford to!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:19 pm

games are for playing not collecting, if you are not playing them they may as well be stamps

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Most of the stuff I sold was stuff I never owned originally (back in the day, so to speak) so it didn't have that extra "nostalgic" element to it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:27 pm

resident paul wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:No..
It's been a long time since we last saw you mate! :D

Oh I'm still here 8)
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
games are for playing not collecting, if you are not playing them they may as well be stamps
Oh I play all my games, just not all at once..
For example this weekend I scanned the PC games in my collection and decided to have another crack at Vampire Masquerade Redemption, not a very good game I'll grant you but if I sold it on for a few pence after I last played it, which must have been a few years ago, I wouldn't have had that choice..

Gamers keep their games because they understand, part timers sell because they dont.. :D

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I drag out my whole collection and have a purge every month or so to re-evaluate their worth to me. Im just as obsessed with cutting down my collection as i am with expanding it. Just hate having a huge backlog of games i may or may not ever get round to playing due to having equal interest in new releases and retro.

So many new releases ive got on day one and havent touched due to dipping into my years of game backlog. REAL WORLD PROBLEMS.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Buying releases on day one is pretty stupid.

That's £40. You could buy a whole new system and a ton of games for £40.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Yes.

I very nearly got rid of the whole lot when I was getting divorced. First I thought it'd help save my marriage, then I thought I wouldn't have space for it when I had to move into a smaller flat (and for 2 years, I didn't really and nearly all of it stayed boxed up :( I''m glad I didn't though.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:20 pm

I have been very brutal and sold everything I do not play on regularly, once the balls rolling you eventually get over any attachment you may have to the consoles/games....and you end up with a nice tidy sum at the end of it, to save for a rainy day...or treat yourself to something nice.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Never only thing I sell are my ten a penny PS2 and 360 games as there so cheap I could get them again.. Obviously I would never sell Rule of Rose or my other survival Horror PS2 games.. Agree with Opa even if I don't play them I will come back to them in the future

To me the most worthless things are DVD and Video's and people still hoard them, how much space does a video take up
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm curious to see what people's opinions on VHS tapes will be in the future. I'm assuming they will largely be ignored, like cassette tapes, rather than LPs. There do exist collectors of laserdiscs, but I think VHS tapes are not kooky enough and don't offer any advantage over other formats to attain even that kind of small following. All I can imagine is dedicated film buffs hunting for otherwise unreleased B-movies and video nasties. A shame though, since they will all just be going to landfills now, I suppose.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Shinobi wrote:Never only thing I sell are my ten a penny PS2 and 360 games as there so cheap I could get them again.. Obviously I would never sell Rule of Rose or my other survival Horror PS2 games.. Agree with Opa even if I don't play them I will come back to them in the future

To me the most worthless things are DVD and Video's and people still hoard them, how much space does a video take up
I used to have a massive collection of videos, literally binned the whole lot over the years and replaced most of them with DVDs when the DVDs went down in price....only kept a couple like the original Toxic Avenger on VHS as the copy I've got is a completely uncut version that contains all the gore and deleted scenes (in the extras on the Toxie DVD) actually in the film in the correct places in the correct order. I did keep all the inlays off the videos though, as a lot of them had better cover artwork than the DVDs, with pictures of the original movie posters.....Childs Play for instance had a completely different cover on video to what it does on DVD.

In recent months, I've hardly bought any DVDs or Blu Rays because I don't really watch much at home anymore (mainly just play games and use the internet) and whenever I do watch films I just head over to the cinema as I've got a monthly Unlimited card and only live 10 mins walk away from it. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:43 am

Story ive told a load of times.

Sold off what I dont want.
Kept what I do want

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:13 am

I have collected, needed money, then sold...missed it, then collected, the sold....then missed things again. Now I just try and collect things I will actually play at somepoint. However certainly over the past couple of years family life is more important, I get next to no time to play on stuff (aside on the GBA SP on my journey in). I tend to chip away at parts of the collection as the bills or household needs coming up. Have pretty much sold off my arcade stuff of recently, gone from around 50 pcbs to just 10, to get money in for carpets and clear space. My N64 collection is so so on the brink at the moment, I've got in my opinion the best 50 games for it, pretty much all mint and complete, but not played on it in over a year. I keep think some of those higher value games will help pay to turf the garden, but I have a feeling in my bones I'd regret selling them a year on, maybe I'll just keep Goldeneye :lol:
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.