For Retro fans not interested in the Next Gen.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jonboy1977

For Retro fans not interested in the Next Gen.

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:09 pm

People who are not interested in next gen games are totally entitled to feel that way, but maybe they need to look at things in a different light.
Who says you have to play the latest 3D blockbuster extravaganza that uses every single stick, button, and trigger.

I have a friend who pointblank refuses to play any Cods, Halo, GTA, or 3D updates of classic series. He is 2D all the way, its is preffered form of gaming and dislikes modern games.

He now owns a 360 and is in love with it, he is discovering a whole plethora of fantastic titles he now loves.

I introduced him to RAYMAN origins, Deathsmiles, Blazblue, and he really enjoyed them, but the real clincher was XBLA.

He plays nothing but XBLA games. which has plenty of oldschool style games to play on it, including some absoloute classics.

He also hates modern pads, but solved that problem by buying a Streetfighter 2 fightpad and an arcade stick.

So if any retro fans want to finally get a next gen machine, just letting you know that there are dozens of games that suit your tastes perfectly.
Life is What passes you by while you are too busy making plans.

Maturity is Overrated.

retrojc

Re: For Retro fans not interested in the Next Gen.

Post by retrojc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:10 pm

what kind of bullshit post is this?

Ids this you againt Chiptune?! :lol: (I am joking chip/actraiserbdubs)

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:17 pm

retrojc wrote:what kind of bullshit post is this?

Its in response to many people on here who have said they are not interested in a current gen machine because they dislike modern games.

Simply pointing out that if used right it is a fantastic machine for Retro gamers and gamers who like retro style games.

Maturity is Overrated.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Jonboy1977 wrote:

Its in response to many people on here who have said they are not interested in a current gen machine because they dislike modern games.

Simply pointing out that if used right it is a fantastic machine for Retro gamers and gamers who like retro style games.
Things like the superb Shadow Complex inspired by classics of yesteryear (Metroid in this case), then you have HD remakes/collections, online play on things like Final Fight etc.Current generation consoles offer best of both worlds, likes of PSN/XBL the place to look.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Jonboy1977 wrote:

My brother has a 360 and I have played all those games you mentioned. Didn't change my mind.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Fair play to you Jagfest, i'm on a similar 'stance' with touch screen gaming-friends say how fantastic it is, tried a few games on their iPhones, few more on my iPad...did nothing to change my mind, but least we've given them a shot.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:17 pm

thevulture wrote:Fair play to you Jagfest, i'm on a similar 'stance' with touch screen gaming-friends say how fantastic it is, tried a few games on their iPhones, few more on my iPad...did nothing to change my mind, but least we've given them a shot.
I have yet to play any touch screen games apart from Bejeweled that I liked.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 pm

I've never play Cods,Battlefield, Mass Effect or any EA Sports game etc, hated all the GTA games and Red Dead but like Saints Row 3 getting 1000g on that.. The only games coming out that I will be buying are Silent Hill Downpour, Resident Evils and Ninja Gaiden 3.. And Wii Pandora Tower if that even gets a release over 5 copies over here.. Possibly Max Payne thats if Rock Star don't ruin it and make it like GTA
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:23 pm

thevulture wrote:Fair play to you Jagfest, i'm on a similar 'stance' with touch screen gaming-friends say how fantastic it is, tried a few games on their iPhones, few more on my iPad...did nothing to change my mind, but least we've given them a shot.

Gotta try the right ones though, and I think that's usually part of the problem with this sort of thing. Because it's REALLY difficult for a new player (with obscure tastes) to find the right things right away.

Honestly, I wouldnt have a 360 at all myself if I hadnt found a very specific set of games for it.... and I mean things even more obscure than what the OP mentioned there.... and I honestly sorta heard about them through pure luck. And even then, I'm using a JP 360.

The same goes for iOS. Games get even MORE obscure on there, and obscure games on there are REALLY hard to find if you dont know about them in advance. I can think of games I could recommend to pretty much any gamer with any sort of taste, but this is only because I know EXACTLY where to look. And the App Store itself is bloody AWFUL.... there's no getting around THAT fact. It is what makes the really good games hard to find.

Though I do still like some of the "main" ones like Angry Birds and whatnot, they arent what I own the thing for. Stuff like Forget-Me-Not, or the Cave games, or things like the Galaga anthology, or others, are what I own it for.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:28 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Maybe it's all these years of having a controller and buttons etc, but try as i might, i just cannot get on with either motion control or touch screen gaming, even when carefully implemented, rather than tacked on to a port.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Shinobi wrote:I've never play Cods,Battlefield, Mass Effect or any EA Sports game etc, hated all the GTA games and Red Dead but like Saints Row 3 getting 1000g on that.. The only games coming out that I will be buying are Silent Hill Downpour, Resident Evils and Ninja Gaiden 3.. And Wii Pandora Tower if that even gets a release over 5 copies over here.. Possibly Max Payne thats if Rock Star don't ruin it and make it like GTA
Just started playing GTA:VCS on PSP (properly) tonight, love it, where as Rockstars more recent GTA offerings GTA4 and the GTA in Wild west Red Dead, i just loathed.Looking forward to the S.H HD Collection, Mass Effect 1-3? loved, but for myself, logical step on from SW:KOTOR, Res.evil 5? i found huge step back from last gen.Res Evil 4.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:47 pm

thevulture wrote:
Shinobi wrote:I've never play Cods,Battlefield, Mass Effect or any EA Sports game etc, hated all the GTA games and Red Dead but like Saints Row 3 getting 1000g on that.. The only games coming out that I will be buying are Silent Hill Downpour, Resident Evils and Ninja Gaiden 3.. And Wii Pandora Tower if that even gets a release over 5 copies over here.. Possibly Max Payne thats if Rock Star don't ruin it and make it like GTA
Just started playing GTA:VCS on PSP (properly) tonight, love it, where as Rockstars more recent GTA offerings GTA4 and the GTA in Wild west Red Dead, i just loathed.Looking forward to the S.H HD Collection, Mass Effect 1-3? loved, but for myself, logical step on from SW:KOTOR, Res.evil 5? i found huge step back from last gen.Res Evil 4.
I'm told now Silent Hill HD will be download only, but Silent Hill 1 is being totally remastered for HD with Konami hiring new voice actors and released on X Box live.. If this is the case I can't wait, years since I played Silent hill 1.. Mass Effect 3 I was told I would need to finish the first 2 games as how the story progressed in theme affects achievements and Story on ME3
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Not heard of a SH remake (HD) though IF done properly would be amazing.

Mass Effect 3? Well PS3 owners never had 1st, so Mass Effect 2 starts with a Previousily on...type thing where you can choose decisions/get gist of story, think Mass 3 has similar?. Cannot say as imported my character from Mass 1 to Mass 2, then that character to Mass 3...

Been mentioning this (next) point in reply to Sscot regarding my expectations in another thread, but personally finding it's not power or age of hardware that's hindering game design at present, rather the scope.Potential to improve/try new approaches to a genre, replaced by play it safe/mass market approaches:Regenerating health, focus on online side, QTE events, gore, guns+space marines and same old gameplay etc.

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
I can at least agree to that. I detest touch screen games, even to the point of refusing to buy DS and 3DS games if you have to use the stylus.

Maturity is Overrated.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:17 pm

thevulture wrote:
Re 4 was a major disappointment for me too. Rockstar totally lost the plot with it. Rather than increase the fun factor, which is the whole point imo, they toned it down in favour of realism, story etc. I did try to persevere with it but ended up completely bored. Now Vice City on the other hand, that is the pinnacle of the series for me. Would love to have seen GTA 5 set in Vice City rather than San Andreas. But either way they need to return to its fun filled roots with number 5.

Eat your nans pants