For Retro fans not interested in the Next Gen.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Re: For Retro fans not interested in the Next Gen.

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:25 pm

thevulture wrote:@shiftytigger:ref:PS2-Won mine, a launch model, £300, was'nt that impressed by it (owner of PS1+DC at time), liked Extermination, Ring Of Red, Z.O.E, hated MGS 2, was'nt till SH2 and GTA3 hit that i really saw potential of hardware.Anywho, soon sold it after those last 2, bought an Xbox....

Skip forward to PS3 launch, friend gave me his PS2+60 games!-so going through them, saw system had really 'grown up', things like God Of War 2, bloody impressive indeed, started on the slippery slope of:

Onto Amazon, buying hordes of cheap PS2 games i'd missed out on.Got to point postie said i was reciving more post than anyone else in the Village, looked at huge unplayed pile and..thought this is getting beyond a joke.Packed PS2 away.

Gave away good % of games in my PS2 collection, never looked back, but for a time, i was buying just for the sake of it.Not good...

I am quite a late arrival really I was (and still am) a DC owner by priority - bought a PS2 Phat from a charity shop for £2 about 4 years ago - was going to trade it but then bought a game just to check it. That game was God of War and was the start of a collection that has peaked and troughed a few times - Blockbuster clearance sale with soooo many cheap titles (only to sell them off a while later) - recent massive scale sealed game 'investment' (its what I thought at the time) purchase and many many bootsale bargains. I could probably trim 60% of my collection and not really miss the rest - for me I play retro compilations and things that dont feel new to me,God of War made me think at times of a slightly more violent/gory Shenmue and was probably the only new-ish thing i really enjoyed apart from Okami.

Im not a fan of the GTA series just because all i ever really do is drive around without playing the game 'proper' - dont enjoy 'war' games / FPS's as none really grab me. I enjoy Urban Reign and God Hand , SF Alpha Anthology and many more old games.I am probably missing out on many great games and its not because I'm blinkered against other game types,they just fall outside my interest.

So as a newcomer of sorts , maybe thats why PS2 doesnt feel retro to me as its something I havent explored fully - I havent had my Gunstar Heroes moment with (something that made me go 'wow' cant believe this is on this console)

I understand others way of perceiving retro though - Ps2 has only just gone from mainstream sale - it is only a bit younger than DC , older than the Xbox - yet both of those are considered retro.

Its each to their own at the end of the day. for me retro is an unquantifiable , undefinable and liquid state. Its what you make of it.

Jonboy1977

Post by Jonboy1977 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Jonboy1977 wrote:You are totally right, I did do all those things and probably should not have.
Apology accepted.
The question is, are you man enough to do the same.
Life is What passes you by while you are too busy making plans.

Maturity is Overrated.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Jonboy1977 wrote:The question is, are you man enough to do the same.
The question is, are you a bad enough dude to save the president?

Do you think we could maybe have ONE WEEK where there isn't a thread that devolves into squabbling? Please? I'm finding myself ignoring so many users there are whole PAGES where I don't see any posts.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:55 pm

shiftytigger:Tried Gregory Horror Show, Project Zero 1-3, Shadow Of Rome or Mark Of Kri, PS2 wise? those i found stood out rather well on the system.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:06 pm

I skipped straight from the first page but the opening post seemed entierly reasonable. I have no intention of buying any current or next gen console, though not because I hate them or anything, I just don't really care for games all that much nowadays.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 pm

thevulture wrote:shiftytigger:Tried Gregory Horror Show, Project Zero 1-3, Shadow Of Rome or Mark Of Kri, PS2 wise? those i found stood out rather well on the system.
Some stand out moments for me have been how much i enjoyed some games

Samurai Legend Musashi - apart from annoying tutorial by numbers i found it quite entertaining.
Kuon - apart from Resi Evil 1/2 and Dino crisis never really played much Survival horror - enjoyed this one for being a bit weird and quite good played in the dark
Okami - looks very nice - plays like a grown up spyro (which i dont think is such a bad thing)
God of War - Pretty nice to look at and a fair smattering of slashy action - i think one of the best of its type.

I've heard of Gregory horror but not found one in the wild yet . Is project zero 2 the one that starts at a frat party or something? if so I quite enjoyed it but never actually found where I put it....?

Also think I may have had Mark of Kri but wasnt impressed by first 5 minutes.May have to try it again.

One thing that really annoyed me was finding out about the Sega Ages compilations (and others ) that we didn't get over here.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Project Zero here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGjJNx0 ... re=related

Never tried Haunting Ground on PS2, nor PS2 Clock Tower, think i did try the horror game featuring American students, but name escapes me at moment.

What about Forbidden Siren? Found it too clunky for myself, PS3 remake improved things.

S.O.S? another one that might be of interest (just throwing names out here).

I was gutted we never got the Sega Ages stuff over here.Bought the Sega Classics collection...hmmnn.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Yeah, not giving us the Ages compilation was a total own goal by Sega if you ask me.

Eat your nans pants

CaptainN

Post by CaptainN » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:12 pm

mandelbrot78 wrote:Let me put it plainly: NO.

XBLA, PSN? It's an effing joke. If you want decent independent titles, the PC is the only way to go. Far, far bigger variety, tons of remakes, tons of retro inspired games. All far cheaper than the console rip-offs (lke...free).

But still, why would I want that? If I want to play old games (I do) I'll play the original thing created by skillful designers: Not cheap knock-offs from untalented developers with no innovation bone in their bodies.

What I want from indy developers is to boldly go where no man has gone before (sorry), not crappy knock-offs of old ideas.

Seriously, XBLA? Would I spend my time playing crappy twin stick shooters, or would I play the original games, like Robotron, created by truly talented developers like Eugene Jarvis? Hmmm...

Truly Talented, but also the same guy in charge of the Cruisin series. Its funny because the Era you are talking about was by far a lot worse than now for lack of innovation and copycat games. The sheer amount of copycat games that were released was stupid. The 16bit Era was showered with scrolling and one on one fighters. Every Era has lack of innovation and knockoffs. I love retro games but take off your rose tinted glasses and talk some sense.

Are you telling me that the people who produce games nowadays have no talent. what an idiotic thing to say.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:56 am

crusto wrote:Yeah, not giving us the Ages compilation was a total own goal by Sega if you ask me.
Not sure why we were passed by there - historical excellence on other formats makes sense to me.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 am

Gutted, especially about the phantasy star remakes. I loved the series and would definitely have snapped them up.

Eat your nans pants

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:32 am

With each new generation I hope for better retro compilations etc. They could do a complete Sega A based one those we didn't get. Oh and they could wham power drift on too for me.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:33 pm

CaptainN wrote:
mandelbrot78 wrote:Let me put it plainly: NO.

XBLA, PSN? It's an effing joke. If you want decent independent titles, the PC is the only way to go. Far, far bigger variety, tons of remakes, tons of retro inspired games. All far cheaper than the console rip-offs (lke...free).

But still, why would I want that? If I want to play old games (I do) I'll play the original thing created by skillful designers: Not cheap knock-offs from untalented developers with no innovation bone in their bodies.

What I want from indy developers is to boldly go where no man has gone before (sorry), not crappy knock-offs of old ideas.

Seriously, XBLA? Would I spend my time playing crappy twin stick shooters, or would I play the original games, like Robotron, created by truly talented developers like Eugene Jarvis? Hmmm...

Truly Talented, but also the same guy in charge of the Cruisin series. Its funny because the Era you are talking about was by far a lot worse than now for lack of innovation and copycat games. The sheer amount of copycat games that were released was stupid. The 16bit Era was showered with scrolling and one on one fighters. Every Era has lack of innovation and knockoffs. I love retro games but take off your rose tinted glasses and talk some sense.

Are you telling me that the people who produce games nowadays have no talent. what an idiotic thing to say.
You should probably read more carefully something before replying rudely.

First of all: When I mentioned Robotron I was obviously not talking about the 16bit era, but many years before that, when we truly had new stuff come out often (normal, since it was during the rise of video games, so we had a lot of experimentation).

Second: I was not talking about modern developers in general being untalented. That would be idiotic. I was talking about certain indy developers who instead of trying new stuff, experimenting, innovating, they choose to take the safe road (probably because of incompetence or lack of fresh ideas) and simply do subpar "tributes" to old games.

I'm not saying "don't do it at all" but the remake-remodel to new stuff ratio is horrible. For big projects, where millions of dollars are spent, it's normal to take a safer approach. So we expect innovation, something to push the medium forward, from smaller projects, from smaller developers. And what do we have? Same old, same old.

So why play the poor copies, since I can play the originals? Just because they can do better graphics now? I'll bet that the originals have better gameplay and feel more fresh than the copies. Why? Because they were created by talented (and professional)developers who did innovate when they created these games, not by mediocre amateurs who can just badly copy old ideas.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
crusto wrote:Yeah, not giving us the Ages compilation was a total own goal by Sega if you ask me.
Not sure why we were passed by there - historical excellence on other formats makes sense to me.
Translation, and lack of market.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 pm

^ They've have sold at least one copy of quite a few of them... :wink: :lol: