Space shooters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: Space shooters

Post by theantmeister » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:03 pm

TIE Fighter was easily my favourite space shooter. Followed by the Wing Commander series. Wing Commander's gameplay wasn't as good as TIE fighter, but it was very cinematic.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:23 pm

The two Freespace games are my favourite space shooters. There are excellent mods to be had for Freespace 2, as Volition released the source code only a couple of years after its release - despite being critically well-received, it was a commercial failure. I got Freespace 2 from GOG a little while ago and there was also an article on GOG about all the mods, containing a link to an application that downloads and installs loads of mods to bring the graphics up to date, as well as loads of missions.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Lord Innit wrote:I remember Warhead on the Amiga being a bit of a time-sink for me.
Warhead was brilliant!
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 pm

SPACE ROGUE, it was a bit of a mix between free-roaming space shooter and early Ultima style RPG.
It was the first game I can remember where you could walk into an in-game arcade and play an arcade cabinet game, and you got an actual poster of the star-system with the packaging... I really shouldn't have sold it! :mrgreen:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Re X2. I got home from work one day to find it had been randomly posted through my front door. I had no idea it even existed up until that point. My brother in Law happened to see it whilst out and about and kindly bought himself and I a copy each. Turned out to be a master stroke! Fair play to him.

Eat your nans pants

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:27 pm

necronom wrote:
Lord Innit wrote:I remember Warhead on the Amiga being a bit of a time-sink for me.
Warhead was brilliant!
It sure was.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:36 am

Battlesphere / Battlesphere Gold

... except I don't fancy spending the £600-£800 it typically takes to source one nowadays! :?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:00 am

Nice to see the Warhead love.Any Inferno fans on here? (By D.I.D).

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Starstrike and Starglider have already been mentioned, both classics. I quite liked Darklight Conflict back in the day.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Minecraft creator Markus 'Notch' Persson's next major project will likely be an open world space game inspired by classic trading sim Elite and cult sci-fi series Firefly.

Speaking in an interview with PC Gamer, Notch revealed that he hopes to make a space game in the same vein as David Braben's ancient 3D classic, but "done right".

"I want the space game that's more like Firefly," he explained.

"I want to run around on my ship and have to put out a fire. Like, oh crap, the cooling system failed, I have to put out the fire here."

'Notch then later clarified his stance on Elite via Twitter. "Please note that I did not wish to imply Elite wasn't done right. I wanted to imply it hasn't been done right since," he wrote.'

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Codename MAT. Got it on a Beau Jolly compilation back in the day.

CaptainN

Post by CaptainN » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Rogue Squadron games for the Gamecube

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 am

CaptainN wrote:Rogue Squadron games for the Gamecube
Those games are a bit dumbed down compared to X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Still good, mind.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:08 am

theantmeister wrote:
Those games are a bit dumbed down compared to X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Still good, mind.
Yeah, those two are basically WW2 flight simulators in space clothing. I don't think they're terribly realistic in terms of space flight but they do a pretty good job of re-creating the feel of movies.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:13 am

theantmeister wrote:
Probably due to the lack of keyboard, I remember being wingman for my bro in law back in the day, basically meant that I was in charge of the keyboard commands while he flew the ships.

Eat your nans pants