Space shooters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ferret Oxide

Space shooters

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm not really sure what the genre should be called, but I'm tlaking about the gmaes that gave you full control of a space ship and let you fly around shooting stuff, rather than keepign you on rails. SO the likes of Elite, Wing Commander, Epic and X Wing.

Which games from this genre do you like, or hate? Would you like to see new games like this, or is it best left to our memories? Oh, and was there a worse entry in the genre than Darklight Conflict?

JetSetWilly

Re: Space shooters

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:53 pm

I had a game called Tachyon, which had Bruce Campbell in it, and was pretty decent. Starlancer was great too.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:04 pm

The X games are pretty decent, lost a lot of hours to X2. I dont really know of any others tbh (modern) but I do really like the genre. Seems it could do with a shot in the arm.

Eat your nans pants

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Freelancer for me. Sure, it may have paid a rather large debt to a certain other game, but I got totally involved in it, and it played (and plays) brilliantly!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Personal fav.genre of mine, criminally ignored on the current console generation.Damn YOU MS for canning the 360 Freelancer sequel (Loved DC Starlancer+Freelancer on PC).Damn YOU Sony for not bringing a Colony Wars game to PS3 (or previousily PS2), Red Sun was the weakest of the PS1 trilogy, but still damn fine, series ripe for a reboot.

Darklight Conflict, i liked on PS1, rock hard, but far worse examples of the genre, Xenocracy for example, which i bought new.

Halo Reach had the nearest 'fix' i've had on this generation, thought about Darkstar One on 360, but it's a port of aging and average PC game, so have'nt bothered.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:40 am

I loved Elite(Oolite is brilliant as well), X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, and Freelancer.

Tie Fighter really stands out for the storyline. Plus, flying alongside Vader.

Freelancer's storyline was engrossing, as well. Shame there will be no sequel! :evil:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:34 am

TIE Fighter was the absolute danglies, lost hundreds of hours to that.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:11 am

Love these games...

Elite - The true classic
Privateer - This wasnt bad, quite funny seeing Clive Owen in the video clips when you dock at a station and get missions etc
X2 - These are the modern day Elite games, exceptional.

There was a game for the Amiga which had a 'basic' Elite style theme to it but when you docked at a space station it then went to an 'Ultima' type view, eg simple graphics seem from overhead which was superb. Wish they would do something similar, eg you dock at a space station and then it turns to a 'quake' FPS type view where you go to various shops to buy things etc.

Wish i had the time for X2 as its a brilliant game

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:20 am

Time for my regular Independence War plug.

Newtonian physics for the flight model, some varied and interesting ship designs and a compelling story to boot. Best space game I've played by far. Takes a bit of getting used to, its rock hard in places, but worth the perseverance.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:24 am

This was probably my favourite genre throughout the 80s and early 90s. I had loads of games like Timegate, Codename MAT, Dark star, Star Fox (the Real Time Games one, not the Nintendo rail shooter, although that's a great game too), Elite, Frontier, Epic, Damocles, assorted Wing Commanders, Privateer, X Wing, etc. and they were just the good ones. Tau Ceti, in my avatar, is set on the surface of a planet so doesn't quite qualify, but it shares a similar feel to these games.

There are still a few good ones about, of which EVE Online hasn't been mentioned yet.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:55 am

The old school Battlestar Galactica game for the PS2/Xbox is half decent. Closed missions, but flying the vipers against the cylons is decent fun. Ditto Robotech Battlecry which has some epic space battles, but isnt purely about space.

Love me some Wing Commander IV as well
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:58 am

I liked Rogue Squadron II on the Gamecube as you got some freedom do things!

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:05 am

I remember Warhead on the Amiga being a bit of a time-sink for me.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:51 am

A big shout for 3D Starstrike & a slightly smaller one for Starglider. Elite was the daddy of course.

Other notables are the Colony Wars series. & Rogue Squadron on the GameCube.

Oh & Blast Radius is not too bad either if a little lightweight. :)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:29 am

psj3809 wrote:There was a game for the Amiga which had a 'basic' Elite style theme to it but when you docked at a space station it then went to an 'Ultima' type view, eg simple graphics seem from overhead which was superb. Wish they would do something similar, eg you dock at a space station and then it turns to a 'quake' FPS type view where you go to various shops to buy things etc.
You mean Space Rogue? Brilliant game.

And let's not forget the daddy of them all: Star Raiders! Really great game. And the grandaddy is SPASIM back in '74 (multiplayer and 3D back then!), but very few had enjoyed it.