Atari is 40 years old!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: Atari is 40 years old!

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:49 am

CaptainN wrote:Or you could ignore the many many negatives, and only concentrate on the few positives.
If you wish to remain ignorant then yes you could.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

CaptainN

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
CaptainN wrote:Or you could ignore the many many negatives, and only concentrate on the few positives.
Or you can remain blind to the many mistakes the company made. After all, even the people who ran Atari and worked there have admitted so. Its just a shame its fans wont.

I have no problem with someone liking atari, just dont pretend it did not end up a mess of a company due to poor decisions and substandard games released.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 am

CaptainN wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Or you can remain blind to the many mistakes the company made. After all, even the people who ran Atari and worked there have admitted so. Its just a shame its fans wont.

I have no problem with someone liking atari, just dont pretend it did not end up a mess of a company due to poor decisions and substandard games released.
I'm quite aware of Atari's history which therefore includes knowing about their many successes and failures.

What is it with you? I logged in to the forum this morning and every Atari-related thread with new posts I've visited has been trolled by you. You've only just signed up to the forum today too.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

CaptainN

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:00 am

I have no problem with someone liking atari, just dont pretend it did not end up a mess of a company due to poor decisions and substandard games released.[/quote]
I'm quite aware of Atari's history which therefore includes knowing about their many successes and failures.

What is it with you? I logged in to the forum this morning and every Atari-related thread with new posts I've visited has been trolled by you. You've only just signed up to the forum today too.[/quote]

I have been around for a while and only decided to join today as I am stuck in Hospital for a while. I spent a lot of time reading through the posts deciding which ones to reply to. As for troll. Pot meet Kettle. Just substitute Nintendo for atari.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:02 am

CaptainN wrote:I have been around for a while and only decided to join today as I am stuck in Hospital for a while. I spent a lot of time reading through the posts deciding which ones to reply to. As for troll. Pot meet Kettle. Just substitute Nintendo for atari.
Nice way to avoid answering the question.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:06 am

I was just about to say the same as DCRIP. Some pretty ballsy posts for your first day on the forum. Not that you should jump around the subject rather than express your honest opinion but its not exactly wise to be seemingly trying to actively annoy Atari enthusiasts and big up Nintendo at the same time.

Also if you dont have anything helpful to contribute (like in the Atari Jaguar advice thread) please dont post. It only serves to derail threads into arguements.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

CaptainN

Post by CaptainN » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:09 am

ShadowNeku wrote:I was just about to say the same as DCRIP. Some pretty ballsy posts for your first day on the forum. Not that you should jump around the subject rather than express your honest opinion but its not exactly wise to be seemingly trying to actively annoy Atari enthusiasts and big up Nintendo at the same time.

Also if you dont have anything helpful to contribute (like in the Atari Jaguar advice thread) please dont post. It only serves to derail threads into arguements.
Hey, advising someone not to buy a Jaguar is considered bloody good advice for a lot of people. as for being Ballsy. Seems you have to be on here due to a lot of other people having pretty ironcast opinions on things.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Okay, I said it'd be nice if we went a week without this...

It lasted twelve hours.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm

For me Atari = Atari Games

Happy birthday Real Atari!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:33 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:Okay, I said it'd be nice if we went a week without this...

It lasted twelve hours.
Well CaptainN & Jonboy1977 were the same person and just came here to troll. They have been banned now so hopefully peace will be restored.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:24 pm

It lasted twelve hours.
Yep 'both' are now permanently banned. Please report posts in the future though as i hadnt seen anything in that thread before so if i'm warned earlier i can nip it in the bud.

Anyway all sorted now, cheers for peoples detective work !

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:

It lasted twelve hours.
Well CaptainN & Jonboy1977 were the same person and just came here to troll. They have been banned now so hopefully peace will be restored.
The penny dropped for me when they both seemed incapable of quoting properly, anyway Atari were founded 40 years ago might be more appropriate, as the one masquerading under the name today has no bearing on the old, a bit like a poor tribute band really.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 pm

^ Nowt stopping you wishing Atari a conditional Happy Birthday - I did, NorthWay did...

No different to celebrating say, Elvis's or Churchill's birthday in a strange way. No longer with us in a real sense, but deserving of rememberance.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Happy birthdayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
A
T
A
R
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII :lol:
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:06 am

Never owned a 2600 at the time (owned a Colecovision) but still vey much a fan of my Atari 800XL (mainly buy carts now where I can) and ST. Was never Impressed by the lynx (or the Game Gear for that matter) and try to get what fun I can out of my Jag and 30 games I own; played PowerDrive yesterday as it happens. The best games in the 2600 are brilliant and the worst are as bad as anything humanity has ever done!