Parting with your collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Neilos626

Parting with your collection

Post by Neilos626 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:32 am

Have any off you sold all of or part of your collection?
How did you feel once it was gone? Did you end up recolecting?

The reason I ask is that I mainly collect for the SNES and have a collection of close to 400 games + a modified US console. With the mental prices for all things SNES related I have been priced out of adding to my collection. Most auctions on Ebay are overpriced BINS and carboot finds have dried up.

When I look at my collection I now see a few thousand £s sitting on the shelf. I still use it most weeks, but have been thinking for some time about cashing in at current prices, although I have always talked myself out of it.

Anyone else thinking along the same lines?
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

kiwimike

Re: Parting with your collection

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 am

I sold all my stuff a few years ago, and it doesn't bother me all that much. Occasionally I might feel a tinge to play a burst of Mega Drive streets of rage or road rash...but not enough to justify collecting again.
I had a smidgen of regret initially, but the sun still comes up, I got some good money from it which got a nice TV, and I don't really miss them as I simply didn't play them that much.
Now, I simply have a PC for MAME, a jamma arcade machine for my fave classics, and a current machine. And that's it. TBH, I probably enjoy reading and collecting books & mags on retro games than playing them now. My faves on an arcade machine and a current system to get your teeth stuck into a decent sized game...and that'll do me. Otherwise it all gets too cluttery.

Thought about collecting for one machine though, to keep it simple. Something like NGPC which takes little room and has a small library of terrific titles. :)

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:32 am

I've never sold mine, aside from my original Gameboy stuff (the monochrome one). Kinda regret doing that.

Well, I did sell off the 64 and GCN, but I honestly just didnt really like them.

Everything else.....and it's alot of things.... I've kept. I see no reason to part with them. I dont really need the money for anything, and I do get a good amount of use out of the old consoles.

The damn 2600 needs to be replaced, though.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:04 am

My collection originally encompassed a PSone, Atari 2600, Master System and a Saturn as well as all the Nintendo stuff. When I moved in with the missus there was no room for all of it, so we made the decision to keep the NES, SNES, N64, GC and Wii and sell the rest since we both loved Nintendo games. We're now married and have a kid on the way, so it was well worth it. If we'd split up a week later I might feel differently about it!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 am

Sold off a lot of mine.

IN THIS LIFE I HAVE NO REGRETS!!!

Seriously, when was I going top play 30 Vic 20 games?
Also sold off a few project cabs.
NOT A SINGLE F**K WAS GIVEN!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:08 am

Sold all my Speccy stuff a fair while back, kept it for sentimental reasons but then i thought what the hell ? Just in a box only being used once in a blue moon, sold it. I've tended to do that to a fair few things now, dvds (if i wont watch them again i might as well sell them, just looking 'pretty' on a shelf otherwise), same for cd's, if anything rip them and sell them. I never used to keep the originals in my car anyway in case they get scratched

I was slowly moving towards the scary horder image where i wouldnt want to get rid of anything 'in case i might use it/play it/listen to it' despite for years not. Felt good to finally break out !

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 am

400 SNES games? You probably needn't sell them all then, you could probably keep modest collection of 50 or so and still make fantastic money from the rest.

Though before purging you might want to take photos of your collection for keepsake, perhaps even record a video tour of your collection for yourself. That might help with actually help with lettting go of the physical items themselves.

I think you should decide which games you will actually play, and then perhaps also include some other favourites and games with sentimenta/nostalgic value, and keep those. You may find that it's actually the more rarer and valuable stuff that you're not even playing anyway, and you just own them for the sake of how how rare and valuable they are.

Here's the way I'm trying to look at this sort of thing:

A guy called Jim Wendler from the powerlifting scene wrote a workout program consiting of doing one big barbell lift a day followed by a few "assistance" excercises. People often write to him and ask "Ok so I know which big lift to do, and the sets and rep scheme for that, but what should I do for assistance work?" To which Wendler usually replies "Don't overthink it. It's assistance, it doesn't matter."

The "it's assistance, it doesn't matter" idea helps me sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak. I recently got rid of some DVDs, only keeping my favourites and the DVDs I knew I'd watch again. The DVDs I got rid of were mostly really good films however to me they were "assistance", compared to the favourites I kept they didn't matter.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 am

Just sold a good chunk of my gear...i feel much better for it, tbh. Not one single feeling of regret.

No-one here can tell you if its the right decision or not, only you know that....you'll get plenty of advice for both yes and no. Its a toughie, for sure! Good luck with whatever you decide.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:22 am

psj3809 wrote:Sold all my Speccy stuff a fair while back, kept it for sentimental reasons but then i thought what the hell ? Just in a box only being used once in a blue moon, sold it. I've tended to do that to a fair few things now, dvds (if i wont watch them again i might as well sell them, just looking 'pretty' on a shelf otherwise), same for cd's, if anything rip them and sell them. I never used to keep the originals in my car anyway in case they get scratched

I was slowly moving towards the scary horder image where i wouldnt want to get rid of anything 'in case i might use it/play it/listen to it' despite for years not. Felt good to finally break out !
Yeah, that's it, isn't it? It all gets a bit hoardey. It accumulates to room sized amounts that is so packed in you're unlikely to use it anyway...It gets to the point where you collect for the sake of it.
I do like the idea of a single system, but even then if you aren't going to play it, it feels like whats the point? That said, I still have my G&Ws in the cupboard... :lol:
Retrogamer mag, and books on the history of gaming tend to do the nostalgic job for me, and more likely to get use out of them! Of course, if you still use them there's no reason why you shouldn't keep them (unless it is causing issues with the other half). I just wasn't though, it all seemed such a waste of time and space- And gave me some spare cash to enjoy! :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:26 am

In the last year and a half, I've sold an Atari 7800, Colecovision, SMS, 2x SMD, SMD II, Saturn, 2x SNES, N64, 3x NGPC, DSi, Wonderswan & my NEC Core Grafx II. And the majority of games - still have a couple lying around.

I wish I'd kept a couple of them (I wish I had the space to keep them all!) but I never really gave them the time so I figured I didn't need them.

I still have more games than I can realistically play so more will eventually go but because I've already been through the "trimming down" process it won't be as hard.

Actually the main thing that led to me selling a lot of the systems was having my modded xbox.
Now I could have the majority of systems in one place, sitting under my tv.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 am

I just traded my GBA games off and I don't regret it (yet). I wasn't really collecting for the system and those games are ones I have had from new. In fact, it went so well I'm thinking of getting rid of the 360 and PS3 games I've finished. I didn't really love playing most of them and I doubt I'll ever get the urge to play them again.

Like pratty says, it is all about keeping what you really really like.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 am

I have only sold one game ever and that is because I had two copies of it (one was given to me by a mate who disliked it - Sonic 1 of all things!)

Other then that I still have essentially every game I've ever owned, bar my C64 as it broke and I was young so wasn't really a massive gamer back then!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:14 am

I own maybe 20 games, used to own over a thousand.

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 am

I sell a few here and there, maybe just the games. The systems are what i more interested in.

If i sell something i more than often end up replacing it once i have the spare cash.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Since starting to play games again ten years ago I have not sold any games other than duplicates or stuff that I bought and actively dislike, knowing that I will never play again.
Xbox Live: RetroBob