RPGs on the 16 bit computers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ferret Oxide

RPGs on the 16 bit computers

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Back when I first got an Amiga, I got a demo disk with a game called Abandoned Places on it. I later saw glimpses of its sequels and similar games like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master and Knightmare. I never had the chance to own any of these games, though, so I've always wondered what I was missing out on.

Did these mouse controlled first person rpgs work? Or were they a poor substitute to the jrpgs the consoles had?

Antiriad2097

Re: RPGs on the 16 bit computers

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Yes they worked, and this gamer would rather play those than just about any JRPG.

Fond memories of the Ishar series, some great (for the time) artwork and atmospheric audio that really sold the environment.

JRPGs are a poor substitute for a proper adventure game ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 am

While I am biased since I hate jRPGs, speaking strictly technologically 16 bit western RPGs were way ahead of jRPGs. They run on superior hardware (Amiga-Atari ST vs. Master System-NES), they were far more complex and of course non-linear.

Just to give an example: 1987: Dungeon Master vs. Final Fantasy

Or...1986: Faery Tale Adventure (It's not first person, but it's a 16 bit western RPG :) ) vs. Dragon Quest.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest JRPGs were superior. I was simply trying to contrast the kind of fare the console owners had with the rpgs on the 16 bit computers.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Well basically the west RPGs and the jRPGs have become two very distinct types of games. They grew differently although they share the same root (Dragon Quest was influenced by Wizardry and Ultima). jRPgs rely on the story and are linear affairs, while western RPGs are more open ended. The first person RPGs you mention are all influenced by Dungeon Master and their basis is the classic dungeon crawl. They are far more difficult in many respects than jRPGs: They are very deadly, combat is real time, before automapping you had to make your own maps, there's a lot of resource management (from food, to torches, to spells, to inventory space, etc.),many devious puzzles, etc. You need to think a lot and often you have to think fast. They are also very interactive. You can drop items to find them later (or someone might even steal them) you can throw items (and you get various results depending on the situation), you can kill mummies by crushing them down automatic doors, etc.

Since they are so skill intensive, playing them and completing them is very satisfying.

llj

Post by llj » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 pm

I played both JRPGs and western CRPGs back in the day (and still do) and I enjoyed them about the same. Liking one over the other is basically a matter of how you perceive an RPG "should" be like, or whether you think there is a "should" at all. IMO, I consider them different genres with different gaming mindsets. I don't think of them in a way like "RPGS SHOULD BE LIKE THIS."

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:45 pm

At the time, Dungeon Master on the Atari ST, really was bloody mid blowing, among the 1st games i saw to really show what was possible on the 16 Bit hardware. Amazingly atmospheric game, loved that game to bits (Although the add-on disc, Chaos Strikes Back, was a difficulty spike too far for myself).

Best i played on ST/Amiga, Captive by Tony Crowther.Also poured hours into Bloodwych.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:34 pm

I've had some great gaming moments playing the likes of the Eye of the Beholder and Ishar series on the Amiga. Black Crypt is supposed to be pretty good too.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:11 pm

thevulture wrote:At the time, Dungeon Master on the Atari ST, really was bloody mid blowing, among the 1st games i saw to really show what was possible on the 16 Bit hardware. Amazingly atmospheric game, loved that game to bits (Although the add-on disc, Chaos Strikes Back, was a difficulty spike too far for myself).

Best i played on ST/Amiga, Captive by Tony Crowther.Also poured hours into Bloodwych.
I couldn't deal with Chaos Strikes back either. Start way too tough, you could carry your save game from DM over though. Dungeon Master at the time was simply amazing!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 pm

sscott wrote:
thevulture wrote:At the time, Dungeon Master on the Atari ST, really was bloody mid blowing, among the 1st games i saw to really show what was possible on the 16 Bit hardware. Amazingly atmospheric game, loved that game to bits (Although the add-on disc, Chaos Strikes Back, was a difficulty spike too far for myself).

I couldn't deal with Chaos Strikes back either. Start way too tough, you could carry your save game from DM over though. Dungeon Master at the time was simply amazing!
:oops: I inported my D.M save and still got a hammering moment i started.Know it was aimed at folks who'd completed D.M but too much for myself.