The all new 2012 'What is Retro?' thread!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

The all new 2012 'What is Retro?' thread!

Post by GarryG » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:01 am

Please don't hate me for re-posting this old turky! I have a reason...

Ok, so it's 2012 and RG has publisher 100 magazines over 8 years. And in that time there have been many 'What is Retro' discusions/arguments over the two forums (this and the old one).
The thing is, I was looking through some of these old threads recently and found myself disagreing with some of my own old posts. So I started to wonder if you are an old-timer, like me, isn't it about time we 'officially' updated our views to an all new thread.
And if you are a newer retro-head, it would be intertesting to see your take on this...

My question is simple: Have your views on what is and isn't retro changed since RG begun with issue One 8 years ago?

If so, what views have changed and why?
If not, why not?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

NorthWay

Re: The all new 2012 'What is Retro?' thread!

Post by NorthWay » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Haven't changed my view at all I think.

And much to my silent amusement, I think RG is damn close to proving my point: The future classic column. What happens when one of those games are given a HD makeover and shipped out again? Do you have to remove it from it's status as a future classic? What is the difference between the HD makeover and new games?

The moment the games started being created with a 3d thinking behind it all was the day it isn't really retro. All you have to do is to re-tool the assets to new hw and a new resolution (I know that is simplifying it insanely much, but in principle m'kay?) and you can sell the same game over and over again.

You might say that what I am saying is that I'm giving RG credit for focusing on retro as a style/design rather than how old it is. I think I'll grudgingly have to agree to that.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:19 pm

NorthWay wrote:The moment the games started being created with a 3d thinking behind it all was the day it isn't really retro. All you have to do is to re-tool the assets to new hw and a new resolution (I know that is simplifying it insanely much, but in principle m'kay?) and you can sell the same game over and over again.
That isn't any different with 2D.

And using that reasoning, you're saying a game like Driver will never be retro, because it can always be resold with a few simple changes to make it HD (or whatever).

I'm pretty sure RG treats age as a determining factor of "retro" (ten years, wasn't it?). There are a few sections where it's about new games on old systems, new games in old franchises, and new games in an old style, but it's mostly old games.

---

Anyway, yes, my views on what is/isn't retro have changed a lot since eight years ago. Mainly because, eight years ago, I was 12. As a general rule, I usually treat two or more generations back as retro (so, Saturn, PS1, N64 games are, but DC, Xbox, PS2, NGC aren't). I wouldn't treat Jet Set Radio as retro (not yet), but I'd be fine with someone who thought otherwise.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:27 pm

For me at least, i still feal the same anything up to and including the Dreamcast is retro, anything after the DC isn't, but thats just me, everyone has their own feeling towards this, so there is no clear-cut answer.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 pm

I am still of the opinion that anything not currently being supported with official new software in a 'mainstream' manner, is retro. I'm quite happy to accept the Wii into my Retro fold soon enough.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:43 pm

My take is any machine whose commercial life ended seven or more years ago is retro.
So DC is, GC/Xbox/GBA will be in a year or two, PS2 in 2018, PSP/DS/Wii in 2019/20.

Why seven? IMO, five's not enough, ten's too many.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:59 pm

I haven't changed my view either...my take is still that the term 'Retro' game applies to any that is previous to the last gen, so two gens previous. To use Sony for the example... PS3 is current, PS1 is retro...PS2 is that missing link that is neither one nor the other! :)
Of course, when you say 'Retro' the specifci image that shoots into the mind is the games of your childhood/teen years, and so the image is different for each person. My image is that of Spectrums, C64s, Colecos & Atari VCS's...for a younger guy it'll likely be NES/Master system or even SNES/MD :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Anything before 2000 (so up to and including the Dreamcast basically)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Dear lord no!

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:46 pm

kiwimike wrote:To use Sony for the example... PS3 is current, PS1 is retro...PS2 is that missing link that is neither one nor the other!
You've missed the PSP ;)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:03 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:And using that reasoning, you're saying a game like Driver will never be retro, because it can always be resold with a few simple changes to make it HD (or whatever).
Yep. Was my opinion, and still is.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:47 pm

NorthWay wrote:Yep. Was my opinion, and still is.
Fair enough. Seems silly to me that something will never ever be retro, but as you said, it's your opinion, and I can't argue with that.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Val Doonican

Post by Val Doonican » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:18 am

I think that any definition with a time stamp or linked to generations us just too limiting.

Personally retro for me is anything that "feels' retro. It is such a personal thing that it renders classifications useless. So yes it is something from the past as obviously retro is looking back in time, but I happily include anything from my Binatine Mark Iv when I was a lad, to more recent stuff from the last 10 years,
Currently Playing: Rage Racer, Resi 2, Super Chase HQ, BLOPS2
Complete: NES, SNES, N64, MS, MD, PSX
Current: WiiU

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:15 am

I think everyone has jumped on the 'retro' bandwagon now and the meaning has become null and void :lol: so i vote for a name change for the magazine;

Vote A: - classicGAMER

Vote B: - antiqueGAMER

Vote C: - under128bitGAMER

Vote D: - physicalgamemediaGAMER

I think you'll agree there's some catchy titles right there! :shock:

Anyway we could have a definite answer once and for all after the end of the next generation....if the games become download only then surely 'retro' gaming would be classed as having to actually physically go out of your chair and put the game into the slot of the machine! People have missed the point with 32bit, 3D, 7-10 years old not being retro....its the idea of the whole experience of gaming in its original form which is changing in front of our very eyes!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:49 am

stvd wrote:
kiwimike wrote:To use Sony for the example... PS3 is current, PS1 is retro...PS2 is that missing link that is neither one nor the other!
You've missed the PSP ;)
No I just ignored it! :lol: Yeah PSP is not retro yet. For H/H I'll use Nintendo: 3DS is current, DS is currentish(!), GBA is retro :wink: