The all new 2012 'What is Retro?' thread!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: The all new 2012 'What is Retro?' thread!

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:52 am

Val Doonican wrote:I think that any definition with a time stamp or linked to generations us just too limiting.

Personally retro for me is anything that "feels' retro. It is such a personal thing that it renders classifications useless. So yes it is something from the past as obviously retro is looking back in time, but I happily include anything from my Binatine Mark Iv when I was a lad, to more recent stuff from the last 10 years,
...So a new release that has archaic ideas and control/gameplay is retro...? :wink:

...God, I'm gonna need a panadol if we start this discussion again! :lol:

Val Doonican

Post by Val Doonican » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:35 am

Yes to new releasess being retro, just as a piece of art can be 'retro' when painted today. It is the idea of 'backward-ness' in games that make them retro, from concept to controls to cartridge. Retro as a term does not relate to age.

Retro racing on ios is a great example of a modern retro game.
Currently Playing: Rage Racer, Resi 2, Super Chase HQ, BLOPS2
Complete: NES, SNES, N64, MS, MD, PSX
Current: WiiU

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:41 am

Could entire genres be looked at this way? I think there's an argument for saying most shmups are essentially 'retro style', with a core design that hasn't changed a massive amount over time.

Mostly though, yeah, it has to be age for me. And nostalgia! So for me, retro is strongly associated with the CPC, Megadrive.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 am

kiwimike wrote:...for a younger guy it'll likely be NES/Master system or even SNES/MD :)
Bless you kiwimike. I haven't been called (or felt like) a "younger guy" in many many years :mrgreen:

Like most people (I guess), I still regard the Dreamcast as the cutoff point. I suppose I might start accepting the earlier PS2 titles into the fold soon. The system had such an incredible life span, I suppose it is hard to include the entire PS2 library as "retro".

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:47 am

I think anything up to two gens ago (including the current one) shouldn't be considered retro. So GC, PS2, 360 (not counting Dreamcast because of its shortlife and it came out much earlier) are not quite retro to me yet but when the next gen comes they most likely will be.

However I don't usually nit pick, and sometimes looking at the current stuff allows you to be subjective on the retro stuff, so it's all good in my opinion!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:47 am

I think anything up to two gens ago (including the current one) shouldn't be considered retro. So GC, PS2, 360 (not counting Dreamcast because of its shortlife and it came out much earlier) are not quite retro to me yet but when the next gen comes they most likely will be.

However I don't usually nit pick, and sometimes looking at the current stuff allows you to be subjective on the retro stuff, so it's all good in my opinion!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:22 pm

This is a tough question, the PS1/N64/Saturn generation is most certainly retro, then the line blurs a little. GBA is, I think - same with Dreamcast. Xbox and GC have been overshadowed by their successors to the point they FEEL retro, whereas the PS2 is still hugely popular despite being of the same generation. I'm not sure what I would consider it to be. It's not quite retro, and it's not quite current. Weird middle ground.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:43 pm

I think it's retro if it makes you go 'christ, I remember playing this!'.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:00 pm

I cant remember if ive posted on these threads before or not. But my opinion can change as frequently as the weather so...Currently, I think anything thats not current gen and is a minimum of say 7 years old or so can qualify as being retro. Whats narcing me though is when does something stop being retro and become archaic?

Eat your nans pants

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:56 pm

theantmeister wrote:
kiwimike wrote:...for a younger guy it'll likely be NES/Master system or even SNES/MD :)
Bless you kiwimike. I haven't been called (or felt like) a "younger guy" in many many years :mrgreen:

Like most people (I guess), I still regard the Dreamcast as the cutoff point. I suppose I might start accepting the earlier PS2 titles into the fold soon. The system had such an incredible life span, I suppose it is hard to include the entire PS2 library as "retro".
I was at a friends house and their kids were talking about PS2s as the 'games machine older dudes used to play' :lol:

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:34 am

It's not a matter of how many years ago, or how many generations ago. Something becomes retro when there's a paradigm shift. The current paradigm holds from the so called PS1 era onward: 3D gaming, emphasis on online play (first on PC, much later on consoles) and most importantly the increasing popularity of certain genres (like the FPS) and the appearance of gameplay mechanics which hold to this day.

Obviously there are games before '93-'94 which can be viewed as "modern" in terms of game design, but these can be covered by a magazine like Retro Gamer, since they were pioneers. And of course there are many games appearing much later (well into the "PS1 era" or even today) which have roots to an older paradigm, so these too should be covered.

Talking about generations or years seems irrelevant. Is PS2 retro? Obviously not, since we play the same kind of games with better graphics and refined gameplay. But if you asked me in the PS1 era the same thing about MD and SNES I would have said "absolutely", since then in a very small amount of time we had a huge paradigm shift in gaming.

If there's a huge paradigm shift in the next generation (highly unlikely) and we somehow grow nostalgic to military shooters which look like a bad Michael Bay film (Gosh, I hope not) then the current generation will immediately become "Retro".

On a more personal note, for me the "heart" of retrogaming lies in the '80s when we witnessed the rise (and fall) of home computers, Atari, the arcades.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 am

"Retro" is totally subjective and dependent on the individual. To a 10 year old, "retro" is anything not current gen.
To a 40 year old, "retro" is anything they played when they were 10, with maybe a few consoles or computers until their early teens.
Retro Gamer's trick (and their curse), is to try and get the balance right for as many of their readers as they can.

yasw

Post by yasw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:55 am

If someone asks me why I am playing such an old and outdated game, then I will consider that game to be retro.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:31 am

Space_turnip wrote:I am still of the opinion that anything not currently being supported with official new software in a 'mainstream' manner, is retro. I'm quite happy to accept the Wii into my Retro fold soon enough.

+1

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:42 am

NorthWay wrote:
DigitalDuck wrote:And using that reasoning, you're saying a game like Driver will never be retro, because it can always be resold with a few simple changes to make it HD (or whatever).
Yep. Was my opinion, and still is.

So Space Invaders and Pacman aren't retro as they'ver been updated on PS3, 360 and IOS etc fairly recently?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee