Cauldron and Cauldron 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Cauldron and Cauldron 2

Post by Shinobi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these, did anybody complete them let alone get anywhere on them??? Back in the day I thought Cauldron 2 was brilliant because of the Graphic's now I just think what idiot made the Pumkin bounce!! I did get the Scissors on Cauldren 2 just because one of the start points you start near it, looking at a you tube vdeo of somebody complete it seems impossible, even your energy goes down when you fire
Last edited by Shinobi on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ewjim

Re: Cauldren and Cauldren 2

Post by ewjim » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:51 pm

really fun games, I had both on one tape I remember. Had no idea what I was doing but they were great fun. It reminded me quite a lot like the same controls as Whizzball, so anything like that was always a good game for me.
FEEL FREE TO ADD ME ON XBOX LIVE

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Loved the look of both Cauldron games, but got bloody no-where with either, even using an an action Replay code (if my memory serves) on 2nd game, i just loathed the ruddy bounce on the pumpkin.

People must have struggled on (and been far better players than i) though, as recal Zzap 64 printing a map in the tips page.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:47 pm

In a word...

Nails!

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:30 pm

I must admit I hated Cauldron, hated it.
It was both ridiculously hard and damned boring.
Cauldron 2 though was a totally different matter. It was hard yes but not so bad as to put you off. Plus, the bouncing mechanic was great fun and put me in good stead when I got Wizball :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Too bloody hard, the pair of them. :evil:

I loved the concept and thought the graphics for both games were great for their time, the idea of controlling the pumpkin in Cauldron 2 was very original.

But way too difficult. I don't know if it was just a problem with the Speccy version of Cauldron or the others suffered it too, but the collision detection was atrocious, you'd often fall through platforms to your death if you didn't land right in the middle of them, or would fall through them if you stood on the edge for longer than a second. Made it impossible.

Cauldron 2, while not having those kinds of problems was just brutal.

So my thoughts are...great idea, great visuals, shame about the actual games. :(
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Cauldron would have been great if it wasn't for the platforms. The fact you had to land, and slowly walk to the entrance, unabble to do anything about all the baddies hitting you was frankly ridiculous. And then the platformy bits were too hard. The shooty bits were ok, and the graphics were pretty good. Didn't play Cauldron II much , but it was a totally different kind of game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:31 pm

Cauldron was brilliant IMO, but far too bloody tough for its own good! The platforming sections were just utter, utter hell to navigate. I never got anywhere with the game, but would still play it now and again. I defy any human to complete the whole damn thing.

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:55 pm

I can remember playing coldron on my cousins c64,and it was a few years later that I played caldrun 2.

I felt that kauldrawn was an extremely difficult game but cawldrone 2 was a tad simpler.

I dont think back about any coldran games with much fondness if i'm being honest but culdren was certainly a good idea with neat graphics.

Perhaps now is the time for somebody to update cualdrown on the iphone or a maybe a 3ds kowldrean game.

:wink:

Yes,i'm being wide. Sundays are very boring days. Morrisey nailed that particular lyric.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

andyc

Post by andyc » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:17 pm

All 3 Cauldron games (yes, there was a third - Super Cauldron) were absolutely rock hard. Personally I always found that rather off putting, it might have been less so if there had been a bit more of a difficulty curve so that you could at least get a little bit into the game before it started punishing every little mistake. It didn't really help that what you had to do next never felt particularly obvious either. Cauldron II was definitely the worst though, losing energy for shooting was a horribly unfair idea.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 pm

I had both on one tape for the CPC464

Both really nice games ruined by the idiotic difficulty. The whole 8bit micro era was riddled with good ideas spoiled by poor difficulty level design.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:38 am

I think this thread deserves some sort of award for finding so many different ways of spelling CAULDRON!

I've played both on the C64 but never tried them on other formats.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 am

Must admit back in the day i did enjoy Kaldron, I mean Kooldron, you know what i mean ;)

First one was pretty good for its time, think its aged pretty badly. Second game was great with a lot of caves/platforms to explore but agree with the others, was very tricky !

necronom

Re: Cauldron and Cauldron 2

Post by necronom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 am

I only played the first one a little, but I bought the second (C64) and liked the music and graphics. It was far too hard, though. I played it quite a bit, but didn't get too far.

I watched a YouTube walkthrough of it last year. I'm amazed anyone could ever finish it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Dizrythmia

Re: Cauldron and Cauldron 2

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:12 pm

I enjoyed them back in the day, but as everyone else here has said, the difficulty was too high.

Now Super Cauldron on CPC I've never played. I don't believe it was ever an official sequel, though it seemed like it was implied...