3D GAMING - JUST ORDERED 3D TV

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

speedlolita

Re: 3D GAMING - JUST ORDERED 3D TV

Post by speedlolita » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:08 pm

I played some games in 3D.

Rubbish.

The constant changing of focus pisses me right off.

But of course, revel in your 3DTV purchase. Buy now try later right?
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:35 am

speedlolita wrote:I played some games in 3D.

Rubbish.

This.

What I've seen of 3D has so far been.... well.... unimpressive and bloody pointless.

Be it the 3DS and it's weak gimmick, or 3D TVs, my reaction to trying them (at stores or friend's house) has been something like "Ah, there's some depth to the image. Er..... yay? Can I turn the effect off now? It's annoying."

Is one of the (extremely numerous) reasons I aint buying a 3DS, because I dont wanna pay piles of money for what actually amounts to an extra "feature" that I'll never, ever use.

I'll be glad when 3D is no longer the thing for all these companies to freak out about and try over and over again. It's not just getting old, it WAS old the moment it appeared.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:02 am

speedlolita wrote:I played some games in 3D.

Rubbish.

I played some games in 3D.

Awesome.

Being able to see how far away stuff is is a great help, and pleases me.

But of course, pretend your opinion is fact. Because you don't like it, it clearly means he bought it without thinking about it.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:11 am

DigitalDuck wrote:I played some games in 3D.

Awesome.

But of course, pretend your opinion is fact. Because you don't like it, it clearly means he bought it without thinking about it.

It *really* depends on the player.... and that's part of it's overall problem.

Some people cant even SEE the effect, or they get headaches/nausea/vertigo, or various other screwball issues. I'm fairly certain it's not a good idea for anyone with epilepsy either. All for an effect that, when it comes to gaming, does literally NOTHING to change/improve gameplay. It's not like when Nintendo added the touchscreen onto their handheld.... that could be used for ENTIRELY different gameplay (even though it took most devs forever to figure out WHAT to do with it).

It's literally like paying a pile of extra money so that you can add "bloom" or anti-aliasing to a PC game. Those effects in most games are.... ok.... but I sure as heck wouldnt wanna buy a highly-expensive device JUST to add them. 500 dollars (or whatever) to make a game (or many games) shinier is.... a complete freaking waste of money.

.....and you have to wear those stupid glasses for most of these, too.

But, to each their own, I guess. Some people like adding shiny effects. I'll never understand WHY, but that seems to be the case. ...I dont WANT to know why either (I *seriously* dont care), so dont explain it.

Now, when these damn gizmos (the consoles) start REQUIRING 3D to play them, is when I completely stop buying them.

As long as the effect isnt NECESSARY and can be turned off, then I'm fine with it, and will continue to pretend it does not exist.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:11 am

Are there any Tomytronic TVs? That's a brand I'd trust.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:02 am

Awesome.

Nice post.

Visuals are at the bottom of the agenda for me though, so changing focus is less than desirable and hinders in game performance.

And while you can say try to defend him, why would you post on a forum about 3D gaming after purchasing a 3DTV? :P

Buying an LCD is bad enough, should have got a CRT for 30 years ago.

None of this is relevant though, the OP is probably just showing off their purchase.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:10 am

speedlolita wrote: And while you can say try to defend him, why would you post on a forum about 3D gaming after purchasing a 3DTV? :P
Because you want opinions from fellow like-minded consumers on what products are best?

Say what you want about 3D, personally I LOVE it for movies, I'm 'meh' about it for games.

Had I not won one in a competition I don't think I'd ever have stumped up the cash for one...

thebear

Post by thebear » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:35 pm

speedlolita wrote:

Awesome.

Nice post.

Visuals are at the bottom of the agenda for me though, so changing focus is less than desirable and hinders in game performance.

And while you can say try to defend him, why would you post on a forum about 3D gaming after purchasing a 3DTV? :P

Buying an LCD is bad enough, should have got a CRT for 30 years ago.

None of this is relevant though, the OP is probably just showing off their purchase.
Who te hell are you to judge me and my reasons for doing things?

Idiot

I bought for 3d movies and tv mainly but also wondered what gaming like

But next time before I post here or buy anything I'll ask you to give me my opinion first

What a tool
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks, you can avoid mispurchases in future by doing so.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:00 am

no mis-purchase

Loved watching the football in 3d yesterday and found it greatly enhanced it as the sense of depth made telling exactly where the ball was easier, then me and little bear watched Avatar in 3d

plus having passive I only have to wear glasses the same as the cinema one, no heavy pairs

Tried the 2d-3d mode last night on Skyrim, pretty impressive, certainly better than I expected and the game looked awesome, not as good as a full 3d made game, but the "upscaling" waas much better than I expected to be honest, anything releatively close to your character looked pretty much like a full 3d game

But when looking into the distance say down a castle wall or whatever) the effect wasn't as impressive, but certainly beter than I thought it would be
Last edited by thebear on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:44 am

thebear wrote: Who te hell are you to judge me and my reasons for doing things?

Idiot

I bought for 3d movies and tv mainly but also wondered what gaming like

But next time before I post here or buy anything I'll ask you to give me my opinion first

What a tool

He probably said that because there ARE alot of people who do exactly that. And it's easier to do it online than offline. It's a viable assumption.

Though, I like to think that THIS forum is better than most others, so we dont usually see too much of that sort of thing here. I can think of other forums where it not only would happen, but would devolve into a screaming arguement.

.....and I cannot remember why in the heck I clicked on this topic. Mighta clicked on the wrong one.

So I'll continue to pretend 3D devices do not exist. Good day to you. *bows, steps out*

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:44 am

How do you show off a purchase on a forum? :?

Eat your nans pants

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 pm

speedlolita wrote:But of course, revel in your 3DTV purchase. Buy now try later right?
speedlolita wrote:Nice post.
speedlolita wrote:Thanks, you can avoid mispurchases in future by doing so.
Ignored, for these posts and others. Your opinion is not, has never been, and will never be, fact.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:35 pm

I've had my 3dtv for a little over a year now, by far the best 3d experince is Unchatarted 3, it is really breathtaking at times. Also try Motorstorm Apocalypse and Super Star Dust both look great in 3d.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:53 pm

crusto wrote:How do you show off a purchase on a forum? :?

Pretty easily, actually.

Usually it just boils down to the person saying they bought some expensive thing, and making a topic about it just so they can show everyone, "Hey, I own this, and I obviously have the money to do so!". Some mods will actually close topics like that, on certain forums, since they never go anywhere.

It's like someone inviting a friend over to their house to look at the enormous TV they just bought. Not to WATCH anything on it, mind you, but just to see that it's there, and how big it is. People do this.

Again though, I *seriously* dont think anyone on this forum is gonna do that. Obviously that includes this topic.

....and there was actually something I was going to say/ask related to this, but now I cannot remember what it was. Joy!