3D GAMING - JUST ORDERED 3D TV

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thebear

3D GAMING - JUST ORDERED 3D TV

Post by thebear » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:27 am

How good is the gaming in 3d??
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Lorfarius

Re: 3D GAMING - JUST ORDERED 3D TV

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:45 am

Well its rounder.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:11 am

Yeah, it has more Ds.

It probably depends on the game... and the TV.

I tried COD World at War at an event - it looks nice enough but it's just a bit "uncanny valley" for me and I couldn't do long stretches. I wouldn't get one just to have 3D, put it that way - only if my current one went kaput and 3D happened to be a feature on the one I replace it with.

I've also checked out movies on 3D TVs in John Lewis - again, I wouldn't want to do long stretches or wear the glasses. 3D cinema is generally gash, poorer quality image to make up for the extra Ds.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:35 am

I'm a huge supporter of 3D movies, they look absolutely fantastic and in a lot of cases it makes the film more enjoyable.

3D gaming however isn't quite the same standard, the only game I've played so far that benefits from it is Shadow of the Colossus (which is an amazing game to begin with!), everything else is either hardly noticeable or just a pain...

thebear

Post by thebear » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:50 am

RetroBob wrote:. I wouldn't get one just to have 3D, put it that way - only if my current one went kaput and 3D happened to be a feature on the one I replace it with.
Is what I've done, didn't have HD in my bedroom

Looked around and found 27" 3D HDTV reduced from 400 odd quid to 260 and thought why not!
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:03 am

But Tetris 3D is shite

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:24 am

My 3D gaming experience is limited to a brief run about in Zelda on the 3DS. I liked it, but as others say it's a good bonus feature rather than a "game changing" experience.

I don't think it really altered the gameplay much but it does feel more immersive for whatever that's worth. I did feel like I was more "in the game", not that I was actually Link because it's still in 3rd person, but more like I was sort of tagging belong behind him.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 am

Rayne wrote:I'm a huge supporter of 3D movies, they look absolutely fantastic and in a lot of cases it makes the film more enjoyable.

3D gaming however isn't quite the same standard, the only game I've played so far that benefits from it is Shadow of the Colossus (which is an amazing game to begin with!), everything else is either hardly noticeable or just a pain...
Depend's how much you extra enjoyment you get out of things being pointed at you occasionally and the film being much darker I suppose.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:51 am

For me 3D gaming is neither worse nor better - Wipeout HD in 3D adds great depth, but the graphics go a bit 'bittier' and the colours a little muddier. Not in 3D it looks 'flat' but the resolution looks better and smoother. I've played a number of PS3 games in both 3D and non-3D for long lengths of time and I honestly don't prefer either. It's good to have the choice though.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:56 am

I wonder what's 'Child of Eden' would be like in 3D as it one of few games in 3D! :)

thebear

Post by thebear » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 am

How about games not designed for 3d

I know the tv can still convert 2d images to 3d but surely this can't come out looking half as good as a 3d designed?

On one of amazon reviews a guy says he loves playinjg Skyrim in 3d

But as the game is 2d designed I can't see the effect being all that great surely?

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:55 pm

thebear wrote:How about games not designed for 3d

I know the tv can still convert 2d images to 3d but surely this can't come out looking half as good as a 3d designed?

But as the game is 2d designed I can't see the effect being all that great surely?
I havent tried that mode with a game on, but it certainly isnt as good with films. Killzone 3 in 3d is impressive but I found it a bit distracting to play it that way if im honest. I spent too long admiring the effect rather than concerntrating on what I was doing! Im glad I got a 3d tv overall, but I dont use it as much as I thought I would tbh.

Eat your nans pants

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:24 pm

thebear wrote:How about games not designed for 3d

In my experience it's a dull effect, it looks a little bit 'off'

Shadow of the Colossus is definitely the best game I've seen, by it's very nature you're supposed to sit back and be wow'd by the views, so the 3D really adds to that!

The depth is impressive in fighting games like Mortal Kombat but the extra distraction actually makes playing them HARDER :lol:

Crysis 2 had a pretty impressive mode if I remember rightly.

thebear

Post by thebear » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:00 am

Played wipeout hd earlier thought looked great in 3d

Then made mistake of trying to play gran turismo 5

Should be called grand download 5

Gimme another couple of hours and I may actually be able to Olay it

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:51 pm

I've played a few 3D games at my brother's place. I was well impressed with some of the games. It really makes a difference for some games. I won't buy into it however, my eyesight is not what it was and I definitely feel my eyes struggle after 10 minutes playing these games. Shame really.