GAME exits Administration

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: GAME files for Administration

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:05 pm

I would love to see a space game on the consoles. It was understandable years ago that there werent any, because consoles simply lacked the power. Not the case now. If someone 'got it right' they could indeed be the next big thing imo. Theres so much potential.

Eat your nans pants

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:08 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Or is it because they aren't being released right now, that they're not popular right now. I'm confused. :?

You can't play what isn't there.
Companies do this thing called market research. If they thought they could make a profit on a space shooter, they'd make it.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Well all a company has to do then is pay a brief visit to egosoft's forum. Plenty of love for them on there. Im sure theres more too, I just havent looked. Whats your opinion on them btw?

Eat your nans pants

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:12 pm

crusto wrote:I would love to see a space game on the consoles. It was understandable years ago that there werent any, because consoles simply lacked the power. Not the case now. If someone 'got it right' they could indeed be the next big thing imo. Theres so much potential.
:wink: If PSone can get:3 Colony War's games, Blast Radius, Xenocracy, WC3, 2 G-Police Games, Darklight Conflict and Star Trek:Invasion, i'd hope PS3 had enough power to do something just as worthy.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:14 pm

thevulture wrote:
crusto wrote:I would love to see a space game on the consoles. It was understandable years ago that there werent any, because consoles simply lacked the power. Not the case now. If someone 'got it right' they could indeed be the next big thing imo. Theres so much potential.
:wink: If PSone can get:3 Colony War's games, Blast Radius, Xenocracy, WC3, 2 G-Police Games, Darklight Conflict and Star Trek:Invasion, i'd hope PS3 had enough power to do something just as worthy.
I havent played any of them tbf, but I was talking in terms of the X series, if they were similar to that then I am shocked tbh.

Eat your nans pants

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Downloadable only media will work if they get the right mix of price and availaility of software. Unfortunately games companies don't seem to know what the censored they're doing 99% of the time, so it's bound to end in complete disaster.

A multi-billion £ industry and the main player on the high street goes bust; there's something really wrong going on there.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:19 pm

X-games totally different kettle of fish, but at least the PSone offered up something of it's own, in form of Colony Wars.Potential with the online aspect alone for a Colony Wars reboot on PS3 makes for interesting prospect (even if not commercially so).

Did download Beta for Starhawk, but size of patch/chronic dl speed and fact you could'nt set it running in background to dl put me off.That's a % of gameplay in space, if vids i've seen are fair rep.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:26 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Downloadable only media will work if they get the right mix of price and availaility of software. Unfortunately games companies don't seem to know what the censored they're doing 99% of the time, so it's bound to end in complete disaster.

A multi-billion £ industry and the main player on the high street goes bust; there's something really wrong going on there.
Its probably chronic mismanagement by people who know nothing about or who are out of touch with the industry. Incidentally, they are also probably paying themselves far too much money. They will move on from this with a damaged ego, but a lovely nest egg. The rest will suffer considerably more.

Eat your nans pants

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:32 pm

What's a "space game"? I'm asking because hasn't there been plenty of games set in space this gen? :?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:37 pm

^

http://www.egosoft.com/news/current_en.php

Nice clip in there, scroll down a bit.

Eat your nans pants

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:05 pm

crusto wrote:^

Ok I think I get it, some kind of Open World Space RPG type of thing? Would something like Infinite Space on the DS count?

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:09 pm

pratty wrote:

Ok I think I get it, some kind of Open World Space RPG type of thing? Would something like Infinite Space on the DS count?
Didnt know that existed. I know the X games are very complex, but very rewarding if you put the effort in. So if its similarly deep then yes.

Eat your nans pants

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:14 pm

crusto wrote:
pratty wrote:

Didnt know that existed. I know the X games are very complex, but very rewarding if you put the effort in. So if its similarly deep then yes.
I've not played Infinite Space myself but I've heard it's long and fairly deep RPG. Looks more like a "JRPG in Space" so perhaps not quite the same though.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:17 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Or is it because they aren't being released right now, that they're not popular right now. I'm confused. :?

You can't play what isn't there.
Companies do this thing called market research. If they thought they could make a profit on a space shooter, they'd make it.
Please, tell me more about this 'market research', I've never heard of such a thing. :roll: :wink:

But, ignoring your attempt at patronisation/sarcasm/whatever it was, they've been wrong before, plenty of times. No reason why a game with a Mass Effect-like storyline, but with more of an emphasis on flying around shooting things and trading couldn't work. At least in theory.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:20 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:[
But, ignoring your attempt at patronisation/sarcasm/whatever it was, they've been wrong before, plenty of times. No reason why a game with a Mass Effect-like storyline, but with more of an emphasis on flying around shooting things and trading couldn't work. At least in theory.
EVE Online, perhaps?