Single game handhelds/tabletops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:37 am

BSA Starfire wrote:It's so weird, I found my old frogger tabletop in the top of the wardrobe yesterday, forgot I even had it! Put some batteries in and it still works a treat, shame the battery cover is lost.
It's pretty neat however, good version and nice style :-)
Was it this one?
I used to have one - I remember as a kid on Christmas Eve thinking I would be too excited to sleep and would be awake all night bored.

So I got all my hand helds, some sweets and a drink and hid them in my bed, ready for the long night ahead......
....and then proceeded to fall asleep!

Top hand held though
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

mariomario

Safebuster

Post by mariomario » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:00 pm

I am 13 and own only one "Retro" handheld a Nintendo Game and Watch Safebuster(Multi-Screen) It is very addictive,
I was wondering if anyone knew what it's worth, it has no packaging but in fine condition Thanks

Antiriad2097

Re: Safebuster

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:47 pm

mariomario wrote:I am 13 and own only one "Retro" handheld a Nintendo Game and Watch Safebuster(Multi-Screen) It is very addictive,
I was wondering if anyone knew what it's worth, it has no packaging but in fine condition Thanks
Loose Safebusters have been selling on ebay recently for around £10-15, give or take a couple of quid. Cheapest completed listing is £8, with a couple more at £13 and £16. There's a little variation depending on condition and extras. A boxed one with instructions will go for more than double that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm

After having owned Astro Wars as a child and recently feeling all nostalgic about it I ended up a couple of weeks ago purchasing two Grandstand tabletop systems. They are Scramble and Star Force.

However, after browsing the 'net I've had no joy in determining which power adaptor/s I need to purchase. Can anyone please advise? I assume they would both use the same adaptor. If I'm recommended to buy one of those universal switchable power adaptors then which setting do I select?

I really would appreciate the advice as I don't want to risk taking a guess on which power adaptor and then fry one of the systems! :oops: :(
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:21 pm

I only had Mini Munchman, wind up Safari drive(which I still have)BMX Bandit, and Star Force which I bought from woolworths as a kid.. But I was lent a lot..

Seem to have a lot more these day, being older and having the money
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 am

God I loved these old machines, and so cool to collect! My faves from a visual point of view were the Coleco tabletops and the classic Simon, but my ulta faves to actually play were Snoopy Tennis & Fire Game & Watches

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:31 am

Astro Wars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:04 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:After having owned Astro Wars as a child and recently feeling all nostalgic about it I ended up a couple of weeks ago purchasing two Grandstand tabletop systems. They are Scramble and Star Force.

However, after browsing the 'net I've had no joy in determining which power adaptor/s I need to purchase. Can anyone please advise? I assume they would both use the same adaptor. If I'm recommended to buy one of those universal switchable power adaptors then which setting do I select?

I really would appreciate the advice as I don't want to risk taking a guess on which power adaptor and then fry one of the systems! :oops: :(
BUMP!
Does anyone please have an answer to my above query since I restarted this old thread?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:06 am

The manual for Star Force doesn't give much away:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Manuals/G ... rce600.pdf
It does tell us the tip should be negative polarity which is useful.

The forum at that site is probably a good place to ask though, they really know their tabletops there.

I'd assume that as it takes 4 x 1.5V batteries, it runs off 6 Volts.
Looking at the Grandstand Universal Mains Adapter:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Grandstan ... dapter.htm
That starts at 6V so does support my theory.

Or just buy a decent set of rechargeable batteries. Mains adapter was a necessary evil for me bitd, but its more than a little annoying when it comes loose or moves and your game cuts out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 am

I had the pocket Scramble which was fantastic and bought it again in a carboot a few years ago for £2 (what a bargain!) and it's still as good as I remembered it.

Had Demon Driver and could easily beat all comers due to the judicious use of reverse (one game I would love to have again, time for a search on Ebay tonight) and Galaxy Invader 1000 which I played on the plane to Spain and beat an air stewardess who kind enough to play with me (not in that sense, I was too young for those kind of hijinks!).
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:56 am

I just love Firefox F7. That little machine has it all. Superb gameplay, smart visuals and really impressive sound.

Tron and Caveman are also wonderful.

I'm really getting into collecting these. I only have a handful at the moment but I love em all. I think it's because, moreso than old consoles, these really hit the nostalgia button for me.
I'll never forget the back of Bagnalls toyshop in Stafford in the mid 80s. They had two long tables with pretty much every machine available all at the time, all wired up, all to play. I pretty much shat myself!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:02 am

Thanks for the advice, Antiriad2097. :)

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:21 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:After having owned Astro Wars as a child and recently feeling all nostalgic about it I ended up a couple of weeks ago purchasing two Grandstand tabletop systems. They are Scramble and Star Force.

BUMP!
Does anyone please have an answer to my above query since I restarted this old thread?
I have an official 'Grandstand' adapter somewhere as I had a number of the Grandstand games. I'll see if I can find it and provide some information.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:25 am

That would be much appreciated, thank you. :)

DreamcastRIP

Re: Single game handhelds/tabletops

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Bump!

Did you manage to find out that info' regarding a suitable PSU?