Single game handhelds/tabletops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:30 pm

LeeT wrote:
andy vaisey wrote:Sorry if the description is fuzzy; it was a long time ago... :oops:
See my above post! It think it was a TomyTronic product? :wink:
Whoops - missed that post somehow! :oops:

I also used to love my Tomy Demon Driver Auto Raceway. 8)

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:15 pm

SirClive wrote:
merman wrote:Another vote for Galaxy Twinvader here - err, snapped the joystick on mine! :oops:
Don't remember this, so as it has been rated I just did an ebay search to see what it would set me back. Just one on there, but it is buy it now for £55. Sounds a bit steep but I suppose it is the only one!
That's more than my parents paid back in the day!!!

I could have sworn the joystick was on the left though, I'm going to have a look in their loft this weekend, and if they haven't thrown it out I'm going to see if I can fix it..... Would love to play this again, but I'm not blowing £55 on one.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:58 pm

Ah man, Yep Mini Munchman and Grandstand Scramble. Scramble was sooo kuul. Had all six stages of the arcade on the tabletop. Totally wicked game.

Mini Munch man was a hand held LCD version of the original tabletop. I could clock it (999 with no lives lost) but the AI was basic on both hand held and tabletop so it was a case of finding the "Routine".

My mate had a cool table top. It was an official Pacman game. It had the basic Pacman but it had a two player mode where one of you was Pacman and the other was a ghost on the second set of controls. Totally cool tabletop.

Have a look HERE!! for some kuul tabletops.

Also Coleco done sum kuul tabletops HERE!!

And theres a hand held electronic game museum HERE!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:54 am

stigodump wrote:
Spiff wrote:I only had Astro Wars, until I swapped some stuff to get the simplistic but compulsive Battlestar Galactica game from a mate.
I think you are the only other person I know who has that. Still got mine although I lost the battery cover. :cry:
Dunno where my BG is, sure I've got it somewhere tho, with battery cover.

Smegaman

Post by Smegaman » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:49 pm

I had a couple of Konami handheld LCD games, my fave was the Turtles one but I could never ever finish it. Please tell me it was impossible! :P Also had Top Gun and Star Trek which had some digital speech if I remember properly.

beesty

Post by beesty » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:23 pm

The only one i had was a Space Invaders clone.
Cant for the life of me remember the name,but all it was,was little red dots been shot at by my little red dots,it was in a black plaggy case but if anyone can tell me the name or even better try and send me a picture of it,i would love to see it again as I was the only kid to have one of these(my dad was out of work at the time),but it was very playable and I never clocked it.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:28 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
SirClive wrote:
merman wrote:Another vote for Galaxy Twinvader here - err, snapped the joystick on mine! :oops:
Don't remember this, so as it has been rated I just did an ebay search to see what it would set me back. Just one on there, but it is buy it now for £55. Sounds a bit steep but I suppose it is the only one!

I could have sworn the joystick was on the left though, I'm going to have a look in their loft this weekend, and if they haven't thrown it out I'm going to see if I can fix it..... Would love to play this again, but I'm not blowing £55 on one.
Another vote for Galaxy Twinvaders from me :D I could clock its count of 200(?) levels, though it took ages.

Joystick went on mine too, the left contact went on it so it wouldn't always move the ship. I'll track one down again someday, though it probably won't have the nice box mine had.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:30 pm

The TOMY 3D ones were pretty cool. Never had one but always played them to death in boots.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:06 pm

ImageImage
My favourite is Climber, the see through Crystal Screen version. It plays like an lcd version of Ice Climber. Lots of features and varied gameplay.

Antoher great site for hand held games is http://www.handhelden.com
And also try to pick up the book Electronic Plastic, you can check it out here.

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:
SirClive wrote: Don't remember this, so as it has been rated I just did an ebay search to see what it would set me back. Just one on there, but it is buy it now for £55. Sounds a bit steep but I suppose it is the only one!

Another vote for Galaxy Twinvaders from me :D I could clock its count of 200(?) levels, though it took ages.

Joystick went on mine too, the left contact went on it so it wouldn't always move the ship. I'll track one down again someday, though it probably won't have the nice box mine had.
Exact same problem here!!! I have an old bust C64 joystick and I was thinking I could butcher it for parts.

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:31 am

i used to have the round yellow grandstand munchman

now
i have a pocket scramble (boxed)
firefox (only part working) (boxed)
and a bandai las vegas game (where you have to run left and right and catch coins, then after 1000 you do a 3 of a kind bonus game) (unboxed)

i also used to love playing astro wars back in the day too
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:41 am

Amidar it's great, colour screen you can play it in the dark, and proper Joystick. I'll post a photo when I dig it out

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:45 am

There is a site that has all these emulated running in skins that mimic the original machines, you can even use the mouse to manipulate the buttons and joysticks onscreen if you don't want to use the keyboard. Its really quite good.

I'm not sure about the legality of linking it here so I won't, but Google is your friend as is the little PM button.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:47 pm

A friend of mine has a Grandstand Munchman, it has a crack in it but its quite nice wouldnt mind somthing simlar myself, but I need to find somthing Im happy with the price and playability of. The friend in question has acctualy registerd, but I cant seem to be able to get him to pop his head in
Watching you sleep since 1990

bolda

Post by bolda » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Well it looks like I used to have the 3 most popular ones from reading this thread... Munchman, Scramble and Caveman!

Still got Munchman somewhere at my folks' place... it's pretty good but I'm not so keen on the 4 direction buttons - would have preferred a joystick like "proper" Pac-man! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage