SSX

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

SSX

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:34 pm

When I bought my PS2 SSX tricky was one of the games I got with the console. I never got on with it but I love snowboarding games. I tried again with SSX3 on the xbox and it was just terrible. Again on wii I tried blur but the contols were a pain. Now the new SSX is due out. I tried the demo. it was ok, the courses are a right mess of twists and turns and the graphics seem fairly basic. Still...........it's the only snowboarding game in town. Am I missing something, are these games actually great or is it an over rated series?

Black Ridge

Re: SSX

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I loved Tricky and have been playing it recently. never played 3, On Tour or Blur though (hoping to change this). The only other Snowboard game that I enjoyed was Shaun Palmers Pro Snowboarder. but maybe that was because of the soundtrack :?

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Great demo, they don't seem to have messed with the formula but have added in some nice features such as the wing suit and the '7 deadly descents'.

One of SSX3's highlights was the atmosphere of a solo run down one of the courses with Röyksopp - Poor Leno playing in the background!

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Too many buttons and complications -

That pretty much sums up most games these days.

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:59 pm

Tricky, for my money, was the best game on the PS2.

Never really got in with 3 or On Tour in the same way. Very impressive, particularly the outrageously long mountain runs, but they were a little too overcomplicated, and nowhere near as appealing.

Blur I think I tried once and just gave up. Ridiculous controls.

I'll check this out, but I certainly won't be running to the stores on release day. They need to get the series back to basics and I assume they've done anything but.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:42 am

samhain81 wrote:Too many buttons and complications -

That pretty much sums up most games these days.

I remember getting a Hockey game once, think it was called 2HL 2006 or something, and it was
just ridiculas the amount of buttons you had to remember, so I gave up in the end.

I haven't got the patience for complications in games these days :oops: I know that sounds really bad.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:09 am

Sir Hilary Bray wrote: I remember getting a Hockey game once, think it was called 2HL 2006 or something, and it was
just ridiculas the amount of buttons you had to remember, so I gave up in the end.

I haven't got the patience for complications in games these days :oops: I know that sounds really bad.
The recent NHL games have included the option for 'NHL 94' controls so I think even they realise how complicated its getting.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm a huge fan of Tricky on the PS2, SSX3 and On Tour were OK ish, and Blur on the Wii was awful.

I've been VERY excited about this new one, preordered it and downloaded the demo this week as soon as it was available.

I was not disappointed - this is SSX returning back to Tricky roots, it's bloody brilliant. Cannot wait for next Friday!

The courses are excellent, although I agree they aren't as linear and very confusing at times, but loads of stuff to explore and collect!

I disagree with the controls though - steer, jump, boost and four grabs - that's it! Combining these into enormous tricks and combo's is the key though. It's one of those games that gets more rewarding the better you get at it, and you can become insanely good at SSX.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm not a snowboarder, and I don't watch or have any particular love for snowboarding. But I did love whichever SSX game I had on the Gamecube (I think it was 3). Even though I wasn't very good at it, I realy enjoyed just tooling around mountains... it was either thrilling or therapeutic, depending on my mood.

This demo punched all those buttons, so I'm going to pre-order it because I love having a few games like that on hand, where I can just pick them up and mess about without any constraints or in-game pressures.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Can I be weird and say I prefered the shameless rip-off that was Amped on the Xbox?

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:23 pm

I love SSX, but to say SSX3 is terrible? It was an absolute joy to play.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:07 am

I'm just back from a skiing holiday as it happens and can't wait to play this now!!

I did what would be some of the toughest combos in real life

Unfortunately I wasn't trying to do them at the time, they were the reults of falls and crashes :D
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Roo

Post by Roo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:37 am

I bought a PS3 just for this...

...then reluctantly sold it on as there wasn't much else I was wanting and couldn't justify the cost.

I love the SSX games. Not a single bad one out of the lot, though Blur took a while to get the hang of.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 am

Really looking forward to this new one, with SSX3 being one of my all-time favourite games in the whole world ever - but JUST the Game Cube version. Played it on the Xbox, PS2 and Gizmondo, and none of those seem as "right" as the Game Cube one. It's as if the game was designed around that controller, it can't be faulted!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 am

The thing that wound me up about SSX3 was the arsing about going up ski lifts and menu's then listening to an annoying DJ commentator, it was ugly too.