Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mootown

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Mootown » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:21 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Mootown wrote:Ridge Racer - where's the game?!
On 3DS the career mode went on foreverrrr....on Vita there simply isn't one!
One extreme to the other. Sort it out Namco.
Ridge Racer (Vita) £20 SRP plus cost of DLC.

Ridge Racer 3D (3DS) £40 SRP.

Thank you.
Have you played the Vita one? It's not even got £20 worth of content. You literally pick a race, then when you're done you quit back to the menu. There's no 'ending' or anything. The actual game is great to play, but there's no point to playing it. No incentive to carry on playing other than levelling up...I'm a bit sad about it as I want to have a reason to play.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:21 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Tell me about it. I had a voucher to get the game for £7. Why not? I thought. Waste of money at the moment. There really is no game or content, you can upgrade your machine and level up and such but you get so little from races that it would take forever to get anywhere and with next to no tracks to race on you'll have seen the entire game in 15 minutes. Motorstorm is way better, costs a fraction of th price and has much more to do. Rr at the moment just feels incredibly boring :( and this is from someone who played rr6 and rr 3ds to death.
I share your pain.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Mootown wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Ridge Racer (Vita) £20 SRP plus cost of DLC.

Ridge Racer 3D (3DS) £40 SRP.

Thank you.
Have you played the Vita one? It's not even got £20 worth of content. You literally pick a race, then when you're done you quit back to the menu. There's no 'ending' or anything. The actual game is great to play, but there's no point to playing it. No incentive to carry on playing other than levelling up...I'm a bit sad about it as I want to have a reason to play.
You won't find me defending the Vita version of RR! In fact it was me who first posted news of the game's, ahem, limitations in the other Vita thread. While the game has been available to pre-order for the lower price of £15 for some time and, afaik, has some free DLC too it's still less than impressive from pretty much all the reviews I've read. I personally hope the game bombs at retail as I really don't want to see Namco and/or other publishers being encouraged to follow the game's business model with future titles.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:... I like Ninja Gaiden, but it's hard to give it a high score as it gains nothing from the port.

... We'll be doing a similar round-up of relevant games like we did with the 3DS. Expect it in issue 101.
Shouldn't Retro Gamer be reviewing games based on their own merits?

I'm sure the readership is capable of deciding for themselves whether to buy a game or not in the instances it already exists on another console.

If I'm reading a review of, for example, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Vita) then I want to see it reviewed and rated as a game in its own right regardless of whether it already exists on another platform. Sure, make reference within the body of the review to the similarities/differences to the home console version/s but to mark down the review score as you've implied the magazine will do seems misguided in the extreme imho.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:... I like Ninja Gaiden, but it's hard to give it a high score as it gains nothing from the port.

... We'll be doing a similar round-up of relevant games like we did with the 3DS. Expect it in issue 101.

I'm sure the readership is capable of deciding for themselves whether to buy a game or not in the instances it already exists on another console.

If I'm reading a review of, for example, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Vita) then I want to see it reviewed and rated as a game in its own right regardless of whether it already exists on another platform. Sure, make reference within the body of the review to the similarities/differences to the home console version/s but to mark down the review score as you've implied the magazine will do seems misguided in the extreme imho.
I can't help thinking about the re-hashes the 3DS has recieved that have got incredibly high ratings, Zelda: OOT for example. Surely the Vita should be on a level playing field and judged on its own strengths too?
Last edited by The Laird on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Thats a decent point DCrip, but ninja Gaiden sigma is knocking on a bit now. Maybe more could have been done to add to the original experience. I was very impressed by it when it came out on the ps3 but I wouldnt be as excited if it came out just last week.

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:

I can't help thinking about the re-hashes the 3DS has recieved that have got incredibly high ratings, Zelda: OOT for example. Surely the Vita should be on a level playing field and judged on its own strengths too?
OOT was rebuilt from the ground up though. More than just a rehash imo.

Eat your nans pants

dpadbro

Post by dpadbro » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Glad to say mine arrived today, got with it Wipeout and Lumines and also picked up Super Stardust. Absolutely astonishing machine, and I think the naysayers will end up eating their hats on this one. The dashboard interface is sleek and responsive, with some great ideas in there (peel back to close windows, for example); the starting screens for games are great, and then the games themselves for launch games are fantastic.

Always enjoy Lumines because it's just one of those games you can get lost in without having to really think too much, plus the sound design in the game just gets you pumped unlike anything other than Rez really.

Wipeout is Wipeout, but done so well and a great way to show off the system. Plenty of longevity it seems in this one.

Super Stardust is pretty cool, but not really the 5-10 minute session game I was expecting it to be. First play through on the normal mode lasted at least 30 minutes or so, which kind of dragged on a bit really...Lumines can get away with it because of the every shifting skins and music. Having said that, still a great game for the price.

Overall, I'll be picking up a few more games and have to say the future is looking very very bright for this one! :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:07 am

I gave a couple more games a go last night:

Wipeout 2048 shows up ridge racer in a big way - when you first start the offline campaign I was overwhelmed by all the events that would be available (and looking at the trophies there are 3 seasons). It's a shame that the frame rate isn't as solid as the ps3 versions but that doesn't bother me that much. The game looks amazing and has some excellent tracks from what I've played so far.

Ninja Gaiden sigma plus also falls fowl of a reduced frame rate which is now capped at 30fps does take a few minutes to adjust to. Otherwise it plays just like it did on the ps3, controls work perfectly and although ninpo is now assigned to the touchscreen it's still worlds better than the ps3s use for the six axis when casting ninpo. It also seems like they've added a whole load of new missions to the game (the only new thing added for the game) which are like sigma 2s which put you in portions of the game and task you with eliminating all the enemies while only letting you use certain weapons.
It does look pretty nice though thanks to the oled screen, especially the openi part of the game in the valley.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:13 am

I'm liking the positive feedback for the machine so far. It's great to think what it'll be capable of in a year or so when developers really get a chance to figure the hardware out.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 am

greenberet79 wrote:I'm liking the positive feedback for the machine so far. It's great to think what it'll be capable of in a year or so when developers really get a chance to figure the hardware out.
+1 :D

Considering these are only launch games the future would perhaps seem a positive one for PSV.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 am

I now really really want one :(

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:23 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:

Our review process is simple really.
Is the game still good or good? (if you're going to ignore the fact that it's an 8 year old game and certain readers might not had played it)
Does it offer you any additional reasons to buy it over the other 3 versions that are already available?
Does the Vita integration add anythng new to the game?

Ninja Gaiden is showing its age, it's a sad cold fact.
The combat remains wonderful, but its structure, level design, poor save points and atrocious camera do let it down badly. The genre has moved on massively, and a lazy port for £40 isn't good enough. It's still getting a good score but unlike Zelda it gains nothing from being on a new system and it's hard to recommend over previous iterations.

Snake Eater 3D on the other hand is great. It takes an already great game and adds new mechanics that massively improve it, thereby justifying its price point.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:16 am

Orrrrrrrrr.........................

you could maybe not bother reviewing brand new games on brand new consoles!!?!??!?!

Maybe leave that to PSP/NDS magazines?? Just a thought.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:31 am

stvd wrote:Orrrrrrrrr.........................

you could maybe not bother reviewing brand new games on brand new consoles!!?!??!?!

Maybe leave that to PSP/NDS magazines?? Just a thought.
Is it issue 19 again?