Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Joey

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:39 am

I've been playing Wipeout today and it's plays great. The sound effects are incredible, they have a real mechanical sound with some Pod Racer thrown in! It really does give the atmosphere of the first year of AG racing.

The ship controll is nice and tight and the level of detail in the graphics is stunning. Looking forward to the HD Fury cross play feature too!

dpadbro

Post by dpadbro » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Haven't gotten word that mine has shipped from Amazon yet :( but considering just ordered it yesterday likely have to wait a bit longer. Problem being I'm off for a long-weekend, so will not get it likely till next week!! Oh, the humanity!

In regards to screen protectors...I can never seem to get them on properly - anyone put one on the Vita yet? Are they good, or bubbly? Screen protectors always make me sad because they just ruin the point of having such a swish screen.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:22 pm

I may be the first person to trade a Vita game in...

Traded in Everybody's Golf (which, although I do love a bit of EG, is something I can wait for) and put it towards buying both Wipeout and Uncharted.
(it was an included game in my bundle btw, I'm not totally mad)

And am loving motorstorm RC!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Well I've been fiddling with mine for a few hours now - WOW! What a piece of kit, the build quality is easily on par with Apple products, very sturdy and eye-pleasing.

I absolutely love the trophy app, for me that's the cherry on top of the cake!

Games wise I've tried the following:

Everybody's Golf - Absolutely brilliant! It's not a graphical powerhouse but all the classic gameplay is right here, the new cast of characters are really cool and there's an absolute tonne of extra content to unlock - I can see myself spending hours on this!

Rayman Origins - Without doubt one of the most amazing games graphically of this generation, the cartoonish sprites literally leap off of the Vita's vibrant screen, half the time I cease playing and just gawk at the scenery! Gameplay is spot on too, it's an exceptionally fun platformer :)

Uncharted (trial) - Truth be told I wasn't impressed with this, graphically it didn't look all that impressive and the controls felt a tad sluggish. I won't be picking this up at full price..

Unit 13 (trial) - A pretty fun 3rd person shooter, it seems to have a strong emphasis on co-op so I'll likely wait until one of my friends picks this up before I buy it myself

Waiting on Ridge Racer to arrive in the post :D

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Got mine today and impressed. Quality piece of kit. Took advantage of the amazon offer and got an 8gb card + rayman for £229. Also brought uncharted from shopto.net. Intending to get stardust, motorstorm and escape plan off psn.

Psn id is jason_trixta for anyone that wants to add me.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 am

Been playing around on mine a little more.

Marvel is excellent, I've been playing this mainly despite playing it loads on the 360. Controls are almost perfect which is really handy as I can just take what I learnt on the console version and transfer it over without having to wrestle with the controls.

Online mode is impressive, no lag for the most part just like the console version. I was expecting it to be more laggy but again it's almost perfect. Very impressed so far.

I picked up a couple of downloads yesterday night - stardust, Motorstorm and sf alpha 3.

Super stardust delta feels just like the ps3 version with a couple of touch screen gimmicks added. The twin stick setup means it plays just like its bigger brother and it's just as addictive and fun as it was on the ps3.

Motorstorm is great, a nice surprise that reminds me somewhat of micro machines. I'm finding it hard at the moment on certain courses to get all the medals but it's cracking fun.

Alpha 3 is great thanks to the new d pad, so much better than my old psp as I can now pull off all th moves properly!

I'm continued to be impressed with how slick and intuitive the handheld is at the moment, now to try out the rest for my games...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 am

I'm still waiting for mine hope it comes today as I have the day off. So far I have sitting on the side waiting to be used is uncharted golden abyss, ridge racer an 8 gb memory card and a ps vita starter kit. Quick question when I do get mine through the post how do you make the screen protector not have bubbles in it?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:46 am

I'm really enjoying Uncharted. It has flaws, but I love all the touch screen interaction, as it's done really well.
Marvel I like, but it's let down by loading times
Blazblue is a better game, but will be getting a lower score because it's not suited to the machine as well as MVC3 is.
Everybody's Golf is brilliant fun, but nothing new
Wipeout very good
waiting for Lumines and Rayman, but I'm hearing good things about them.
I like Ninja Gaiden, but it's hard to give it a high score as it gains nothing from the port. Good fun mind.
Katamari is ace
Ridge Racer not played enough of yet. It looks slick enough, and I think it's a brave business model, but it feels slight.

What I find interesting is that aside from Uncharted and Rayman, all the best games are effectively updates of PSP games (a sad state of the industry more than a slight towards the machine).

We'll be doing a similar round-up of relevant games like we did with the 3DS. Expect it in issue 101.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:50 am

I didn't notice any problems with marvels load times really, took a bit to get on the main menu but from there the game is quite quick between fights.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:54 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm really enjoying Uncharted. It has flaws, but I love all the touch screen interaction, as it's done really well.
I think the gun combat is a little sloppy but I'm enjoying the game more then I thought, feels very much like the first Uncharted so far (I'm on about chapter 6/7).

Also there are some sections where it briefly looks pretty much identical to PS3 version which is pretty impressive for a handheld game.

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:09 am

Finally recieved my vita today and i must say that i am absolutely blown away by the console everthing is so well done and polished. I in my opinion am glad i got rid of my 3ds to get this.
This is the first time with a handheld that i feel like im playing a home console.
I have only been playing uncharted but as a big fan of the series im pleasently surprised at this.
I thought that the touch bit on uncharted wouldnt work but i have been proved wrong they work really well and i find myself just playing with it just moving up and down. Great handheld and i am going to be getting a few more games in the near future. Uncharted and ridge racer is ok to tide me over.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 am

Also have to say I'm glad that Sony finally got rid of the XMB. The App style interface is so much better and the swipe/peel multitasking works a treat.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:33 am

Ridge Racer - where's the game?!
On 3DS the career mode went on foreverrrr....on Vita there simply isn't one!
One extreme to the other. Sort it out Namco.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Mootown wrote:Ridge Racer - where's the game?!
Ridge Racer (Vita) £20 SRP plus cost of DLC.

Ridge Racer 3D (3DS) £40 SRP.

Thank you.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Mootown wrote:Ridge Racer - where's the game?!
Tell me about it. I had a voucher to get the game for £7. Why not? I thought. Waste of money at the moment. There really is no game or content, you can upgrade your machine and level up and such but you get so little from races that it would take forever to get anywhere and with next to no tracks to race on you'll have seen the entire game in 15 minutes. Motorstorm is way better, costs a fraction of th price and has much more to do. Rr at the moment just feels incredibly boring :( and this is from someone who played rr6 and rr 3ds to death.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*