Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:49 am

Flint wrote:More DLC issues from Capcom.

http://kotaku.com/5955083/its-a-thursda ... t=53875693
Unless I'm reading that wrong its slightly misleading... It seems to insinuate that the 12 extra DLC characters are not available from the go on the Vita version, that's not true - its just that the redemption code (which gives you the 12 DLC characters for the PS3 version) is not working properly which is still pretty damn bad (seeing as it was a selling point at one stage!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 am

Finally ordered myself a Vita, been waiting for a decent priced 3G + Uncharted deal for a while and the other day I spotted that shopto had just that very thing:

http://www.shopto.net/psp/PSPHWV49-ps-v ... lden-abyss

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:34 pm

I see Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is garnering some very impressive reviews -
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... ic-reviews
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:36 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Finally ordered myself a Vita, been waiting for a decent priced 3G + Uncharted deal for a while and the other day I spotted that shopto had just that very thing:

What made you go for the 3G option?
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am

Lorfarius wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Finally ordered myself a Vita, been waiting for a decent priced 3G + Uncharted deal for a while and the other day I spotted that shopto had just that very thing:

What made you go for the 3G option?
The addition of GPS and the fact I'll be using it most dinner times at work, no wifi access in my office. Personally I use the internet a load at work and It's always good to have another point of access.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 am

I just got Everybody's Golf off the store... It's lovely.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:22 am

I've been giving the Vita version of Assassins Creed 3 (Liberation) a try and I'm liking what I've played so far. It feels like a full fledged AC game on a portable and works really well from what I've played so far.

The new character is fairly interesting to play as, the different persona's (costumes) are a cool change of pace as are a couple of her other abilities like charm (basically hypnotising a guard into assisting you in combat etc.) Each have there own strengths and weaknesses that make certain ones better to use in different situations.

From what I've explored so far the city seems just big enough for a portable game. Don't expect a console sized city as its mainly designed for the quick pick up and play nature of a portable title. Ditto for the missions. It doesn't feel half assed at all. Though I only got to use the Assassin persona for a short time so far it was really cool to be able to perfectly leap around the city on a handheld, controls wise it feels just like a console title.

Graphically its a mixed bag. It looks nice overall but there are a few bits that are rough round the edges. The frame rate can be a little hit and miss at times but after you start sinking a few hours into the game you'll barely notice/care.

Combat feels a little iffy, countering especially. It just doesn't feel as solid as it did in AC2. That's not to say it doesn't work, its functional at worst but as of now its probably the weakest link in the game. Its musch easier (and more fun!) to just do the whole stealth/assassination thing instead
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:05 am

My Vita will be here tomorrow, finally bit the bullet and bought a memory card - I fu$%ing hate you Sony

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:41 am

gmintyfresh wrote:... I fu$%ing hate you Sony
Don't buy their products then!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
That would be way too easy! Don't have a thing against Sony except charging daft money for what I suspect is an SD card in a different shaped plastic case.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:20 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
That would be way too easy! Don't have a thing against Sony except charging daft money for what I suspect is an SD card in a different shaped plastic case.
I contemplated giving a reasoned response but...

Death to DOGMA! :wink: :lol:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Been playing Assassins Creed 3 Liberation myself (in between bouts on Assassins Creed 3 PS3 :) )....
ShadowMan wrote:From what I've explored so far the city seems just big enough for a portable game. Don't expect a console sized city as its mainly designed for the quick pick up and play nature of a portable title. Ditto for the missions. It doesn't feel half assed at all. Though I only got to use the Assassin persona for a short time so far it was really cool to be able to perfectly leap around the city on a handheld, controls wise it feels just like a console title.
I think it's a nice sized city too, and whilst it not on the scale of Venice from Assassins Creed 2 or Rome from Asassins's Creed Brotherhood, it doesn't actually feel that much smaller than Constantinople from Assassins Creed: Revelations TBH. That, and it's not the only map in the game either...did the whole second section earlier on and it was all set in the Louisiana swamps, which I don't think I even covered half of, though it looks like you have to go back there later on.
ShadowMan wrote:Combat feels a little iffy, countering especially. It just doesn't feel as solid as it did in AC2. That's not to say it doesn't work, its functional at worst but as of now its probably the weakest link in the game. Its musch easier (and more fun!) to just do the whole stealth/assassination thing instead
Haven't had any problem with the combat myself, other than now and then with counters, I'll hit Circle to counter and then Aveline will grab and throw the guy before I've had a chance to hit another button. When she does that though, you can always just chase after them and kill them on the floor before they get back up :lol: Once you start a 'kill streak' off and get the timing right, it's pretty fast and fluid, I managed to get the 'Machete' trophy earlier with pretty much no effort. Did have problems at one point with a couple of guards that seemed to keep blocking my moves but problem was solved by chucking a smoke bomb onto the ground to distract them.

All in all, I think it's a cracking game, certainly very impressive for a handheld. I also like the 'persona' gimmick a lot as it's almost like having 3 different characters to play with. There seems to be tons to do as well....the first section is very much about ust getting to grips with the game but the second section starts introducing sidequests as well (like hunting and murdering alligators and stealing their eggs :? :lol: ). It's not on the scale of Assassins Creed 3 but for what it is, it's still got a lot more meat to it than a lot of other console games I've played over the last couple of years. It was one of the games I originally got the Vita for, and it hasn't disappointed, that's for sure.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 pm

Combat is getting better for me. Countering especially has just "clicked" and its way easier to dispatch hordes of enemies with ease (especially with your assassin sword :mrgreen: ). Its still not as fun as using the smart lady costume and walking up to guards and sneakily stabbing them and walking away innocently before anyone realises just what is going on :twisted:

How does kill streaks work? I've not figured out how to do them properly as of yet, instead I tend to just counter kill everyone instead.

I'm loving the swamp area in the second chapter. Most of my time has been spent climbing trees and traversing the area without touching the ground, its a really nice quiet area compared to the heavily populated city.

No doubt its a great game. It has minor issues here and there but I'm really impressed with how well the game works, and how close to a console version of AC they managed to get on a handheld.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 pm

OK, so I've got a nice little collection of Vita games now...

Resistance: Burning Skies - 4/5 really enjoying this one, the dual stick controls are perfect for the 1st person shooter. It's certainly not ground breaking and the multiplayer could be improved but it's still my favourite title so far... bring on Killzone Mercenary!

Little Big Planet - 4/5 only just got this one, but early impressions are very good. Great use of touch screen; very similar to the quality of LBP 2 on PS3.

Wipeout 2048 - 4/5 super fast racer and possibly the best version yet. Cross platform play with PS3 too!

Ridge Racer - 2/5 solid enough, but the lack of content is really disappointing and we've seen it all before only in a better package. Only paid a tenner for it though!

Modnation Racers - 3/5 on par with the PS3 version, but I still prefer the mechanics on Mario Kart.

Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz - 3/5 budget price, but nothing original. The mini games are probably the best part... really enjoying the bowling!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 am

Quite a decent week for the vita games wise for me. Apart from assassins creed liberation I also picked up need for speed, silent hill book of memories and dj max (import).

Nfs is a quality racer. It looks like its got all the content as the console version and runs really well (no real frame rate problems for me and it has an excellent sense of speed!) there seems to be a fair bit of content to it - all cars have their own races and challenges based on the parts you unlock and you can find different cars everywhere so your spoilt for choice! It plays more like a burnout game than most Nfs games I've played (no surprise when you look at who made the game). Well worth it for anyone that wants a decent portable racer on the vita.

Silent hills main problem is the name. I find it's actually a fairly fun dungeon crawler with some interesting mechanics and ideas but it's not a silent hill game.

Dj max is a bastard hard music game that probably has the best use of the rear touch pad yet. It's got plenty of songs and unlockables and The harder difficulties really challenge your coordination as you have to be able to hit notes perfectly on bother the front and back touch pad. It's also insanely addictive!