Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:41 am

Resistance has the easiest lot of trophies you could ever hope for in a game. Heck you get a gold trophy for simply playing one match in the online mode! Its the definition of an average game - the controls worked for the most part well (bar the touch crap) and proved that FPS games can work well on the Vita thanks to the dual analogue sticks but other than that and the weapons which I really liked there is nothing that really makes this game good.
Not sure what to make of COD Vita as it doesn't look/sound all that promising either, still debating whether or not to cancel my pre order...

Unit 13 is a cool little game - good controls, fun arcadey gameplay and its pretty replayable with some cool online implementation. I passed on it the first time due to the tutorial in the demo turning me off to the game but gave it a second chance and loved it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 am

ShadowMan wrote:
DJ Max I really want but don’t want to really pay more than £35 to import it, not had any luck on getting it that cheap yet.
Are you talking about the US version? I was hoping to order via VG+ but it's not listed yet. I checked the press release & it said about buying direct from the DJMax Technika Tune website, Amazon & multiple online retailers.

http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthread ... ional-Info

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 am

Morkin wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
DJ Max I really want but don’t want to really pay more than £35 to import it, not had any luck on getting it that cheap yet.
Are you talking about the US version? I was hoping to order via VG+ but it's not listed yet. I checked the press release & it said about buying direct from the DJMax Technika Tune website, Amazon & multiple online retailers.

http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthread ... ional-Info
Japan or US versions, they are both in English so the language barrier wasn't a problem. I'd actually looked at ordering the USA version from the official site a week ago but was put off by the high shipping. I'll check Amazon.com out and see if they will ship it to me. Its to bad it isn't getting a wide release in retail stores, Gamestop.com are great for shipping abroad for relatively cheap and insanely fast postage.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:46 am

Project Diva f simply hasn't left the cart slot from my Vita since I bought it. An absolutely perfect game that I can't seem to get enough of right now :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:54 am

Rayne wrote:Project Diva f simply hasn't left the cart slot from my Vita since I bought it. An absolutely perfect game that I can't seem to get enough of right now :)
Any game with a song called 'Cat Food' is good.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:04 am

Haha! That is true :)

I did have a quick go of Resistance on my Vita, it took about 15 minutes for the initial 'WOW a portable FPS game that controls well' to wear off and for me to realize it's the most generic game ever. I'll get all the trophies from it at some stage but god it is boring.

Also had a quick go of Mortal Kombat again today, absolutely stellar port.

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Hope you all don't mind me mentioning this again, but a beta for Playstation All-Stars is out now on Vita for people with PSN+, and it opens up for everybody else starting tommorow. There's a cross-play feature where people on the PS3 can play with people on the Vita, which is nice.

...I'm wondering if I should make a thread about this instead of bringing it up here again, or if that'd just be a terrible idea.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Rayne wrote:Project Diva f simply hasn't left the cart slot from my Vita since I bought it. An absolutely perfect game that I can't seem to get enough of right now :)
I do not want to hear this. :wink: :lol: (want but can't afford)

In other news, I cancelled my Monkey Ball pre-order. I've got plenty to keep me busy, so I might pick it up later when it's sub £10.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 pm

I ended up cracking and ordering DJ Max off of eBay as the USA release is delayed by "a couple of weeks". Got it from the same seller that I got Dokuro from so I should have it in a couple of weeks hopefully. I've also got Street Fighter x Tekken coming tomorrow from Shopto.

Speaking of Dokuro, I've been trying to finish the game for the last couple of days. I'm really close but can't clear a couple of stages, damn hard sussing out exactly the right way to move the blocks so that you can clear the level and get the coin at the same time! I'm so glad that the game gives you a limited number of level skips as otherwise I'd have been stuck on the same level for hours, plus it helps coming back to a level a while later as sometimes it just "clicks". The boss rematch levels were unneeded though, somewhat annoying in places and really just pointless filler compared to the rest of the game so far in my opinion.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:31 am

Street Fighter X Tekken arrived yesterday and I've been giving it a try. I already owned it on the 360 and while I didn't hate it I did find it fell a bit short of what I was hoping for.

As expected the controls in the game are pretty decent. MK, UMVC3 and Blaz Blue all control excellent on the Vita so I didn't expect anything less. The only potential problem is performing attacks that require more than one punch/kick button to be pressed. Thankfully these can be mapped to one of four squares on the touch screen (as well as two more on the rear touch screen) and actually work incredibly well. I've managed to link specials, EX moves and supers into combo's with reletive ease just like on the 360 version. Controls wise its not quite as good as using a stick but I never expected it to be.

Graphically it looks almost like the console version. They've had to tweak a few graphical features here and there (shadows apparantly) but otherwise it looks just like the console version. Annoyingly I've found the frame rate isn't a solid 60fps like MK or MvC, it holds at 60 most of the time but does faulter at times. Nothing bad as its not affected my inputs but it is sorta distracting.

As its the Vita version, all the characters that should have been in the console version are here, including DLC characters and the sony exclusives like Megaman and Cole from Infamous. 55 characters in total so it'll take quite a while to try them all out. Without going into the whole DLC mess again I quite like what they've done with the new characters - Elena, Jack X and Bryan especially. I'm also really liking Megaman even though he's really not that good!

Content wise there seem to be more trophies this time round than the console versions, some relating to the touch controls while others just encourage you to play through other modes like the Kumite mode (fight 100 characters back to back). Its also worth noting they've reduced the conditions on a fair few of the trophies, so you don't have to get 100 perfect matches or whatever anymore, just 30 etc.

There's also a load of stuff that makes use of the Vita's online functionality, but seeing as the game isn't officially out until tomorrow I've not managed to really try these out yet.

So if you hated the game before this won't change your mind, but it does seem like a fun portable fighter that has been ported across incredibly well (minor frame rate issue aside).

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:22 am

Despite having no money I bought Little Big Planet last night for £19.85 via Shopto/eBay. :oops:

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Morkin wrote:Despite having no money I bought Little Big Planet last night for £19.85 via Shopto/eBay. :oops:
Cheers for the heads up, I could not resist picking it up at that price either.

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:05 pm

im going to order little big planet tomorrow when i get paid. If anybody wants to play(if you can do that) then my username on psn is montytom same as here

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Got Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz earlier, and whilst it's a fun game that I'll proably keep going back to on and off, I'm glad I didn't pay any more than £15 for it as it doesn't really feel any different to any version of Monkey Ball I've played before. Seems to be a lot of trophies in it, and some of them seem extremely difficult so it should last a fair while at least.

I can also only echo what other people have said about Resistance: Burning Skies....there's an initial 'wow' factor about playing a dual analogue stick FPS on a handheld, but it soon just feels extremely generic and the forced touch screen controls for things like grenades and secondary weapon functions are extremely poorly thought out and feel tacked on just for the sake of making use of the touch screen.

Still very much looking forward to Assassins Creed Liberation. :) Will likely pick up Little Big Planet at that sub £20 price point too.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Flint

Post by Flint » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:24 am