Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Bizarre, I can download crash 2 and 3 to my vita from the store, but not crash 1.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Bizarre, I can download crash 2 and 3 to my vita from the store, but not crash 1.
I forget exactly how I purchased Crash 1 now. I assume it was from the web store and not the Vita store directly. Pity that the Vita store is so unreliable - other than (some) PSOne games being missing certain Vita games are also missing from the shop for no reason. So usually I stick to the web store just to be sure.

I know there is also some silly issues with having to download PSOne games from the PS3 and then transfer them onto the Vita for some bizarre reason...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:31 pm

I've literally just been playing PS1 stuff on mine thus far and enjoying the novelty of my old faves without setting up the original hardware :oops: . Burnt through a load of PSN credit and still have other stuff I want to grab. Noticed both Tombi games too...argghhhh. Will have to at least get the original since I loved the demo back in the late 90's but have never fancied paying the going rate for a physical PS1 copy.

Driver for £1.99 was too good to pass up :shock: Will have to check out the online version of the store to see if Driver 2 is also available! I have all these games for the PS1 anyway but a few quid to double dip for the privelidge of convenience isn't so bad.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Bizarre, I can download crash 2 and 3 to my vita from the store, but not crash 1.
I forget exactly how I purchased Crash 1 now. I assume it was from the web store and not the Vita store directly. Pity that the Vita store is so unreliable - other than (some) PSOne games being missing certain Vita games are also missing from the shop for no reason. So usually I stick to the web store just to be sure.

I know there is also some silly issues with having to download PSOne games from the PS3 and then transfer them onto the Vita for some bizarre reason...
at least the vita store has a minis section unlike ps3 where it was removed.

i highly recommend pinball dreams and pinball fantasies oj vita they ar psminis and are remakes of the amiga games and can vita played in a horizontal mode which with the vitas big screen and aspect ratio makes for great pinball simulation.

my vita was sort of an impulse buy but after 2 days i'm loving it and its so much better than the psp
This guy are sick

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Pinball Arcade is awesome as far as Pinball games go. I put tons of time into that, still need to buy the second season pass to get another batch of tables to play. Its insanely addictive. I need to look into if Pinball Dreams/Fantasies is still available on the store (as the minis section was taken offline I think a while back?)

Anyway, not much new Vita wise on my end, I've mainly been stuck to my PS4 but I have been playing Steins Gate here and there which has been excellent.

New purchase wise I've only had the following limited run releases arrive in the last couple of weeks (waiting on The Swindle at the mo):

Imageimage by gouki16uk, on Flickr
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:15 pm

No the minis section is still active but not all games show sometimes you need to go on the web store or PS3 store and search by title the psmobile store is the section that was closed what do you get in the 7.99 pinball arcade? I had the first 2 seasons on disc on PS4 but might get them all on vita would I still need a season 1 pass
This guy are sick

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:04 am

I got Pinball Arcade via PS+, but I assume the base version is the same - you get 3 (or was it 4?) Pinball tables complete with trophies for clearing certain challenges. Then if you want any other content you can either by the tables separately or buy season passes to get a good 10-15 tables per pass. Its pretty pricey, but I think the quality is there (I certainly got my money's worth that's for sure!)

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun May 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Just picked up a Vita for the 2nd time. Not gonna sell it so soon this time.

Anybody looking forward to Drive Girls? Its getting a English release soon.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 21, 2017 5:57 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 4:32 pm
Just picked up a Vita for the 2nd time. Not gonna sell it so soon this time.

Anybody looking forward to Drive Girls? Its getting a English release soon.

I'm interested in it yeah, then again I'd literally play anything on the Vita so I'm probably not the best person to ask!

I've started getting back into importing Vita Japanese games, since I have a pretty good idea of which ones are not getting physical (or English) releases. Next months target is to go after the Tecmo/Koei "Warriors" games that aren't getting physical Vita releases - stuff like Berserk, Warriors Allstar, Samurai Warriors 4 Empires, Samurai Warriors Spirit of Sanada, Dynasty Warriors Godseekers etc.

Meanwhile I've been carrying on my goal of finishing off all the Vita launch games. This week I played through Army Corps of Hell, an above average action game with Pikmin style combat. Its main problem is that it gets fairly repetitive and grindy really quick, and the middle of the game isn't that fun to play. It kinda won me back though since the last 10 levels of the game were actually very fun. Nice heavy metal soundtrack as well.

I'm now focusing on Guacamelee (not a launch title, just been meaning to finish it for ages) and F1 2011 both of which I'm enjoying very much. F1 seems like a decent racer with plenty of content, the challenge and time trial stuff is probably my favourite bits of the game, the career mode seems pretty fleshed out as well (it'll take a while to play through all 7 seasons...)

Makes me wonder how long my backlog will last me... While I expect this year to basically be it for Vita English releases, I'm still pleasantly surprised that its getting new releases on a monthly basis (physically). I've got another 3 games coming that were released last week + the Limited Run Games stuff.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun May 21, 2017 7:12 pm

I remember a couple of years ago some of the people on here thought the Vita was dead with no new releases forthcoming. Boy were they wrong!

I sold mine shortly after that and I wish I hadn't as I now have a bocklog of games to play most of which aren't cheap. Trails of Cold Steel and Persona 4: Dancing All Night are particularly tempting...

Currently playing Trailblazer, a PlayStation Mini reboot of the 8bit original. Excellent game especially if you have fond memories of the original.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 21, 2017 9:15 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 7:12 pm
I remember a couple of years ago some of the people on here thought the Vita was dead with no new releases forthcoming. Boy were they wrong!
Yeah, I think I remember reading something similar. That said, I'm still a bit surprised at how many new English releases we get, I can't imagine they are setting the charts on fire, yet we still get a nice mix of RPG's, Visual Novels and other strange games - Rose in the Twilght for example - a really nice, dark puzzle platformer with a twisted story was recently released.

Its also a surprisingly great platform for fighters. Its gotten a nice number of Blaz Blue games (though the latest one unfortunately is skipping the Vita), Ultimate MvC3, Street Fighter X Tekken got a decent port (with ALL the content!), Dead or Alive 5, Dengeki Bunko and other great 2D fighters plus all the PSP fighters like Tekken 5, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max etc.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon May 22, 2017 7:21 am

c0nfu53d wrote:

Currently playing Trailblazer, a PlayStation Mini reboot of the 8bit original. Excellent game especially if you have fond memories of the original.
Wow thanks for that! Thought it never came out, was announced for iOS but disappeared, off to buy it ta!

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm needing some recommendations for playable Japanese imports.

Vertical/horizontal shooters, scrolling beat 'em ups or just quirky stuff that's playable without knowing Japanese. The more anime styled the better.

Any recommendations greatfully received :)

General Opulence wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:21 am
c0nfu53d wrote:

Wow thanks for that! Thought it never came out, was announced for iOS but disappeared, off to buy it ta!
Enjoy - let us know what you think of it

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:26 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 pm
I'm needing some recommendations for playable Japanese imports.

Vertical/horizontal shooters, scrolling beat 'em ups or just quirky stuff that's playable without knowing Japanese. The more anime styled the better.

Any recommendations greatfully received :)
Scrolling beat em ups wise I can only think of Dragon Crown (that got an EU release) and Phantom Breaker (digital only game, also EU). Also there is Guacamelee which is more of a metroidvania game but it has an amazing combat system so definitely give that a shot (again, digital). Oh, and import wise you've got Uppers which is actually somewhat close to a 3D Final Fight. Its nowhere near as good mind you but I still enjoyed it quite a bit (just annoyed at how much better it could have potentially been). Only thing on Uppers you won't get language barrier wise is the optional requests in each level. This only effects rank so unless your a completionist it won't affect you (and trust me, it can be a real waste of time to do them all!)

And if you want to go slightly further afield you have the various Dynasty Warriors/hack and slash games - like Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends (insane amount of content), One Piece Warriors 3, Shin Gundam Musou (if you want giant robots), Samurai Warriors 4, Kamen Rider, Drive Girls, Neptunia U etc. Bar the banter between officers its not exactly hard to work out what you need to do!

Shooter wise, I recommend Darius Burst. The mission mode alone will take 10's of hours to clear, its brilliant and its got the entire arcade mode (the graphics are reduced in size in arcade mode to try and incorporate the 3 screen set up of the arcade mode, I think its fine but some people felt it came out a bit small). It only got a physical release in Japan (and getting a limited run soon in the USA but that'll sell out in minutes) but is also available digitally in the EU. Its got plenty of DLC themed around various Shmups which I can't get since I've got the Japanese version on a English profile...

Another excellent shoot em up is Soldner X2 which looks and plays incredibly (its also very hard!). Again, its gotten a physical limited release in the USA (and is incredibly sort after these days) and more recently a Asian physical release that is easier to get hold of. And the physical versions include the DLC which is a great bonus.

Then you've got other indie titles like Aqua Kitty, SHÜTSHIMI, Velocity and Velocity 2X (2X is actually getting a physical release very soon!)

Also, Vita wise I finally took an updated pic of my collection. As of the moment I'm up to 336 games (and more on their way!):

Games wise at the moment I just finished off F1 2011 (excellent racer), Guacamelee (100%ed the entire game and DLC, absolutely brilliant), Grim Fandango (excellent story, impossible puzzles for someone like me to solve). Currently playing Malicious Rebirth (its the worst game I've played all year, I though Willow for the Famicom was bad (that was just soul destroyingly boring) while this is just plain awful. I also spent the entire day playing Steamworld Heist which is absolutely brilliant. Its a turn based RPG, but executed in a really impressive way. Second boss is quite the difficulty hike though!

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:35 pm

:arrow:

Thanks. I'm a big Kamen Rider fan so I'll definitely check that out. Drive girls is on my list as its got an English language release incoming. I'll add Uppers to my list as well and probably get the digital version of Darius this week.

Gonna try to get mind zero as well.