Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:41 pm

My Grand Edition of Grand Kingdom has turned up and I have Criminal Girls and the LE of Dangonronpa 2 turning up tomorrow.
This is going to get very, very expensive isn't it...

I need to sell some games to fund my orders :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:My Grand Edition of Grand Kingdom has turned up and I have Criminal Girls and the LE of Dangonronpa 2 turning up tomorrow.

Ah, I know that feeling! However, to soften the blow I don't go for LE's since they cost too much, I'm only interested in the game itself anyway which costs at least half the price, so I with that saving I can then buy more Vita games :lol:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:33 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:My Grand Edition of Grand Kingdom has turned up and I have Criminal Girls and the LE of Dangonronpa 2 turning up tomorrow.

Ah, I know that feeling! However, to soften the blow I don't go for LE's since they cost too much, I'm only interested in the game itself anyway which costs at least half the price, so I with that saving I can then buy more Vita games :lol:
True. But when I eventually sell them I'll get more cash :P

Flint

Post by Flint » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:42 am

Sad to hear Oddworld is so prone to crashing, I can't deal with that again after Olli Olli crashed every time I tried to play it before it was patched. I've been putting off buying Nuclear Throne until that gets patched too.

I got one of the LRG copies too, I was planning on playing it for the on cart DLC and to save memory card space but given this and the fact you have to download a sizeable patch anyway I think I'll keep it sealed and play the PS+ version. Even if I buy the DLC it'll be cheaper than breaking the seal. Yet that feels such a waste. Damn these first world problems! At least I have a game and half to finish before I get to it.

Vita games aren't expensive they're an investment.

Talking of fancy editions this is a bargain if you have the room.
https://www.risingstargames.com/eu/prod ... d-edition/

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:31 pm

Flint wrote:Sad to hear Oddworld is so prone to crashing, I can't deal with that again after Olli Olli crashed every time I tried to play it before it was patched. I've been putting off buying Nuclear Throne until that gets patched too.

I got one of the LRG copies too, I was planning on playing it for the on cart DLC and to save memory card space but given this and the fact you have to download a sizeable patch anyway I think I'll keep it sealed and play the PS+ version. Even if I buy the DLC it'll be cheaper than breaking the seal. Yet that feels such a waste. Damn these first world problems! At least I have a game and half to finish before I get to it.

Talking of fancy editions this is a bargain if you have the room.
https://www.risingstargames.com/eu/prod ... d-edition/
Oddworld doesn't have a patch, everything is on the cart. I checked when I first put the game in and there is nothing extra to download, so its a much friendlier to your memory card compared to the digital release.

Strangely though, I never had any issues with Olli Olli, I managed to finish that beginning to end with all challenge and difficulties cleared without it crashing. I still wonder what was up with that, as I've heard from so many people about the spotty performance.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Flint wrote:
You could probably make that argument for the limited run stuff, but collecting games as an investment is a lousy way to invest cash. It's an easy trap to get into though and I've done it plenty of times in the past. I just try to simp,y buy the games I genuinely want to play now. I'll certainly get les as they come out and will look out for future limited run stuff, but only if it's something I want to play.

Has anyone preordered shovel knight yet?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:45 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Flint wrote:
You could probably make that argument for the limited run stuff, but collecting games as an investment is a lousy way to invest cash. It's an easy trap to get into though and I've done it plenty of times in the past. I just try to simp,y buy the games I genuinely want to play now. I'll certainly get les as they come out and will look out for future limited run stuff, but only if it's something I want to play.

Has anyone preordered shovel knight yet?
I pre ordered Shovel Knight the second it was announced. My favourite (new) platformer on my favourite platform? That was a no brainer decision!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:22 am

Completed walking dead season one again while I was off.
Still really enjoyable, although the dlc is weak.

Started grand Kingdom and it's brilliant, really loving it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:25 pm

I've began playing Pinball Arcade myself, the recent pinball article in Retrogamer made me want to give a pinball game a shot, and this was the only one I had access to. I'm really liking it though, I like that it models real pinball machines and its insanely addictive as well. I've played the base tables for a few hours already completing almost all of the default targets. I'm sorely tempted to pick up some more tables since I'm enjoying this far more than I expected to.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:20 am

Oops.
Just bought
Hatsune Mike Project F2
Operation Abyss
Stranger of Sword City
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters
Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space
Teslagrad
Tetris Ultimate
Dungeon Travellers 2
Danganronpa : Trigger Happy Havoc
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars
Natural Doctrine
Walking Dead Season 2

and preordered criminal girls party edition and MeiQ Labyrinth LE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:33 pm

That's quite the haul! Quite a few nice RPG's in there, but with regards to Tetris I do suggest you import Puyo Puyo/Tetris from Japan - its a much better game of Tetris and has some awesome modes that adds Puyo Puyo into the mix as well. More content as well.
Also, if you want some decent racing games then I'd recommend Ridge Racer, WRC4 (no 3 or 5, it has to be 4) and Sonic Allstar Racing. I think RR gets a bad rap, its a great racer in my opinion that is unfortunately short on modes, but the core racing is incredibly addictive and satisfying when you get it down, shaving off split seconds of my best time was awesome when the games mechanics clicked for me. Pretty darn tough to 100% as well (but I managed it in the end!).
WRC4 is pretty much up there as "best Rally game ever", definitely the best portable Rally experience you can get. Its got tons of tracks, decent online and excellent handling so the game plays like a dream. Its also got a decent career mode that is very addictive to work through. But don't go for the other two in the series unless your a completionist like me - 3 lacks the career mode and tracks, and can be 100%ed in an afternoon, and 5 is by a different team that ruined the handling (but hey, its got lots of content). I've not fully played through 5, but I can say for sure that from what I played it doesn't compare with 4.
Sonic Racing is just a blast to play on any platform, and while they reduced the racer count on the Vita version it still has all the content from its bigger console/PC brothers. And its an excellent game in its own right, so its still darn fun to play.

I've only ordered one Vita game lately, and that's this one:

Solder X2. So happy this turned up, as its such an awesome game, glad to see it get a physical release.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Did you use ipa for shovel knight? There's no way I am paying more than the game for postage.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:01 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Did you use ipa for shovel knight? There's no way I am paying more than the game for postage.
I used the cheap postage for Shovel Knight. The other option was insanely expensive. I love SK, but I don't want to spend that much!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:09 am

Dungeon Traveller's 2 is great fun. It's grindy and the scantily clad girls won't appeal to everyone, but this is a great old school dungeon crawler in the vein of the original Dungeon Master. The maid who gives you new lessons is brilliant too, utterly caustic and dropping in references from everything to Pokemon and There Will Be Blood.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:37 pm

I've not played that yet, its on the backlog (somewhere!), sounds good, I'll have to give it a try.

I've been finishing off WRC4 over the weekend. I've got the platinum trophy on that game now, now to get back to Oddworld and see if I can get the couple of trophies I'm short on that game. Then it'll be back to Time Travellers. The next game (after those) that I start is definitely Uppers though, I've been looking forward to starting that game for a little while, I just wanted to finish off my summer backlog games first.