Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:49 am

I'm going to try and be a bit more selective and only buy stuff I have an interest in. The old me would have loved those limited run games for example, but the new me knows that most of them are not games I'd be interested in so I shouldn't attempt to buy them. Soldner X2 had my interest but I never liked the original much, so I'm not too fussed on missing out on that either.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:36 am

Yeah, that's a good move. My approach is very much - buy and play everything. Its an approach that works for me, since I end up discovering many games I'd have never tried otherwise. In any case, grabbing Super Beat Xonic was a good choice as that was my favourite Vita title of last year. Its got a nice range of music and a decent difficulty curve (it gets insanely hard on the later songs on hard mode though!). I still play it on and off now as I chip away at some of the trophies, just like I did for DJ Max Technika Tune before it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:29 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Yeah, that's a good move. My approach is very much - buy and play everything. Its an approach that works for me, since I end up discovering many games I'd have never tried otherwise. In any case, grabbing Super Beat Xonic was a good choice as that was my favourite Vita title of last year. Its got a nice range of music and a decent difficulty curve (it gets insanely hard on the later songs on hard mode though!). I still play it on and off now as I chip away at some of the trophies, just like I did for DJ Max Technika Tune before it.
Sadly, buying every Vita game simply isn't viable for me. I work in magazines after all.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:53 pm

I'm really drawn to getting a Vita - more so than a PS4 or Xbone.

Although I can't seem to find any great deals on them at the moment, even on FB groups people want more than I think I should pay currently.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:58 pm

Vita's finally been hacked for home brew emulators

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... e=comments

This is heaven for me if true as I've long wanted to use it as an emulation handheld. This would be my platform of choice for now.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:59 pm

slacey1070 wrote:I'm really drawn to getting a Vita - more so than a PS4 or Xbone.

Although I can't seem to find any great deals on them at the moment, even on FB groups people want more than I think I should pay currently.
Don't forget to factor in memory card pricing if your not already, that's the real money sink especially if you plan on getting most games digitally (or just want to grab many of the digital only releases). I certainly value my Vita more than my Xbox One, which I barely ever use these days. Even the PS4 can't hold my attention as much as I expected, I know that'll change in December when Yakuza 6 is released, but until then I'll probably do almost all my gaming on my Vita.
Gigifusc wrote:Vita's finally been hacked for home brew emulators

This is heaven for me if true as I've long wanted to use it as an emulation handheld. This would be my platform of choice for now.

I might have to give this a try, but not being able to upgrade my Vita firmware would be a deal breaker for me since I access the only shop so much. That said, Vita + MAME would be the most amazing thing ever for me.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:18 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:I'm really drawn to getting a Vita - more so than a PS4 or Xbone.

Don't forget to factor in memory card pricing if your not already, that's the real money sink especially if you plan on getting most games digitally (or just want to grab many of the digital only releases). I certainly value my Vita more than my Xbox One, which I barely ever use these days. Even the PS4 can't hold my attention as much as I expected, I know that'll change in December when Yakuza 6 is released, but until then I'll probably do almost all my gaming on my Vita.
Gigifusc wrote:Vita's finally been hacked for home brew emulators

I might have to give this a try, but not being able to upgrade my Vita firmware would be a deal breaker for me since I access the only shop so much. That said, Vita + MAME would be the most amazing thing ever for me.
If they get all my favourite emulators on there, sod it, I'll buy a second one so I can keep one for PSN etc.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Gigifusc wrote: If they get all my favourite emulators on there, sod it, I'll buy a second one so I can keep one for PSN etc.
Yeah, I'm considering this as well. I have 2 Vita's already, my primary Vita will always be updated, but I'll be holding off updating my other Vita for the time being just to keep my eyes on this development.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:15 am

Superbeat Xonic is sooooo good.
I was a big fan of DJ Max, but the soundtrack here is a lot more varied. It's not a bad limited edition either.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:57 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Gigifusc wrote: If they get all my favourite emulators on there, sod it, I'll buy a second one so I can keep one for PSN etc.
Yeah, I'm considering this as well. I have 2 Vita's already, my primary Vita will always be updated, but I'll be holding off updating my other Vita for the time being just to keep my eyes on this development.
I'm very interested to see what's possible on the Vita emulation wise. I just bought a 64gb memory card as i can't see that these will go down in price now the unit has been hacked, and unless someone works some magic, the card size is too small to build a micro sd holder (which of course they will now). As i only have one machine, i'll hold off and see how things go (and more importantly how Sony reacts) before modding anything. This could potentially be a dream of a portable emulation machine.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Superbeat Xonic is sooooo good.
I was a big fan of DJ Max, but the soundtrack here is a lot more varied. It's not a bad limited edition either.
Some of the DLC is great as well. Getting Guilty Gear Xrd music in the game is awesome, even if the tracks are incredibly hard to play!
binaryRooster wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
I'm very interested to see what's possible on the Vita emulation wise. I just bought a 64gb memory card as i can't see that these will go down in price now the unit has been hacked, and unless someone works some magic, the card size is too small to build a micro sd holder (which of course they will now). As i only have one machine, i'll hold off and see how things go (and more importantly how Sony reacts) before modding anything. This could potentially be a dream of a portable emulation machine.
Getting custom memory cards (bigger cards) would be a bigger draw to me than emulation. My 64GB card is full, I'd love to have a 128GB card at least.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Has anyone had experience ordering from nis America?
Ordered grand Kingdom from the UK store, but worried it won't turn up by end of week.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:46 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Has anyone had experience ordering from nis America?
Ordered grand Kingdom from the UK store, but worried it won't turn up by end of week.
I did order Operation Abyss (Limited Edition) from them a while back. I seem to recall it arriving within 2-3 days at the very latest.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:15 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Has anyone had experience ordering from nis America?
I did order Operation Abyss (Limited Edition) from them a while back. I seem to recall it arriving within 2-3 days at the very latest.
Just been told mine should be turning up tomorrow. Having access to PRs is handy :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:06 pm

So I've been putting quite a bit of time into Oddworld New and Tasty today. I really want to love this game, but the constant glitches that crash the game are really killing the pace... I've never had a game perform so bad on my Vita that I've had to restart the game this many times! Its a real pity as otherwise the game is excellent, its not like it runs really badly, its just that you'll be playing a level normally, hit a loading screen as you move to a new area and then the game will freeze, or you fall through an elevator, or you can't respawn...
I still recommend getting the game though, at least you'll get the less glitchy PS4 game as part of the crossbuy plan so if you have a PS4 it might be better to play that version instead! I'm about halfway through my second playthrough on it now though, doing a hard mode, save everyone run and am enjoying the slight jump in difficulty. Its not really that much harder, as all attacks were practically lethal before anyway so making them 1 hit kills really doesn't make it all that much harder! Oh, and I love how well (and fast) the quicksaving works. There are certain points where you are so darn thankful for it, as checkpoints can be spaced out, and certain parts are pixel perfect and require perfect reflexes. I do love the fast paced platforming sections though, the level design is ace and the optional "save everyone" mission is great incentive to replay it to get the better ending.