Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:10 am

Dariusburst is excellent.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:50 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Dariusburst is excellent.
I've been playing on the PS4 and it is pretty good but it's lacking something for me. Firstly, it is very pricey and even though it has cross-saving it's not a cross-buy title. That seems a bit mean spirited of them.

In terms of the game, it is good but it does a particularly bad job of explaining itself. I mean yeah, it's a horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up but there is some complexity to the modes and weapons systems and it takes a while to figure it out. Also, it claims to have god knows how many stages but they all seem to be remixes of the same dozen or so.

Also, visually (on the PS4 at least) it's a bit average looking.

That said, it is still fun and pretty addictive but overall I'm not blown away by it. Resogun is still king.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:35 am

I'm looking forward to getting Darius Burst. I'm getting the physical release from Japan next month go to go nicely with my ever growing collection, speaking of which:

A couple of nice new arrivals. Fifa was £6 which is by far the cheapest I'd seen it so far so I grabbed it. Teslagrad was a pain to get, took forever for the Vita version to get released as well. Wouldn't surprise me if this is one of those slightly harder to find games in years time...

Meanwhile. I'm still glued to Superbeat, I'm on the hardest tracks now and the game is kicking my ass. So I've given Bastion a try. Really nice game, decent combat and very nice narrative. Well worth the £3.69p I paid for it!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:45 am

I've gone back to Big Sky Infinity. I thought it was awful the first time I tried it but I'm liking it more now.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:48 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
I've been playing on the PS4 and it is pretty good but it's lacking something for me. Firstly, it is very pricey and even though it has cross-saving it's not a cross-buy title. That seems a bit mean spirited of them.

In terms of the game, it is good but it does a particularly bad job of explaining itself. I mean yeah, it's a horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up but there is some complexity to the modes and weapons systems and it takes a while to figure it out. Also, it claims to have god knows how many stages but they all seem to be remixes of the same dozen or so.

That said, it is still fun and pretty addictive but overall I'm not blown away by it. Resogun is still king.
To be fair, wasn't it an arcade release from quite a while ago that went to the PSP first before PS4/PSV? I'm assuming they've just not upgraded it very much hence why it looks average. Pretty sure I remember being after the PSP port and never buying it due to crazy prices.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:26 am

Megamixer wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:

To be fair, wasn't it an arcade release from quite a while ago that went to the PSP first before PS4/PSV? I'm assuming they've just not upgraded it very much hence why it looks average. Pretty sure I remember being after the PSP port and never buying it due to crazy prices.
it has an arcade port mode which looks very average but there is also an updated mode for the PS4 version too and that looks better but not spectacular.

Not that shoot 'em ups have to be spectacular but as this is a full price release, I want full price presentation I guess. :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:17 am

It's a great game, but it's too much money.
In other news I just bought Super Star Wars. Expect a review of both in the January issue.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:25 am

The temptation to get a Vita is strong at the moment.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:38 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's a great game, but it's too much money.
In other news I just bought Super Star Wars. Expect a review of both in the January issue.
Just be careful of glitches in the game (unless they actually patched them). Getting crushed causes insane damage now compared to the original Snes game, thankfully you get save states now to lessen the blow.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:33 pm

nakamura wrote:The temptation to get a Vita is strong at the moment.
I love me some Vita.

Everyone reckons the Vita is dead but it's supported just fine with decent digital content. Plenty of physical content too going by Shadow's pics.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Namco Bandai has already confirmed a few games coming out for the Vita next year so I'm set, plus I have a ton of stuff to import once Xmas and New Year are over. Smaller 3rd parties are still supporting the system, and usually with games interesting enough to catch my attention. Looks like 2016 will be an interesting year for the Vita.

Plus the digital stuff, plenty of games getting Vita ports. I'm loving indie platformers so much at the mo so I'm in heaven. Having stuff like 1001 Spikes, Super Star Wars, Bastion, Meat Boy, Metal Slug 3, Swindler, Bad Land, Super Time Force, VVVVV etc. is great for me. True that I can get them on other systems, but I much prefer to use my Vita so its win win for me!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Ok, worked through another game today, Whispering Willows. A game that could have been good, but it has a number of issues that kind of ruined the game for me:

Its a very light puzzle game, you explore areas and pick up items and then use said items to solve puzzles. You can turn into a spirit form of yourself to talk to ghosts as well as manipulate other objects to solve puzzles.

It starts with a interesting story as well, if a tad cliche. The notes you find littered around the mansion grounds fill in the backstory and it pulled me in.

Unfortunately the puzzles are too simple, they never really get going, unlike say Broken Sword 5, which did a brilliant job of upping the puzzle difficulty as you go.

Also, the game has terrible load times - when you transition to any other room/area the game decides it needs to save your progress... ever damn room... and there are many rooms which have 0 point to them only for you to move onto another room... It makes things fairly damn annoying late in the game, if you ever need to backtrack you'll soon feel the tedium build up.

Also, the story has an absolutely moronic twist at the end of the story, can't believe they ruined the backstory so completely in one swift sequence.

If you want a game like this that has much better puzzles, and a far better story, just buy Ghost Trick on the DS. Its a similar concept except its executed far better, with a brilliant story to boot.

Now to finish plat'ing Bastion and then start a couple other games on my shelf.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:38 am

Just started me new collection with this beauty, only £24 as well!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:38 am

Yeah, that's one of my favourite collectors editions as well. Really nice size and excellent Jubei plushie.

I'm looking forward to getting more games for Vita games this year, looking at the physical and digital release lists it seems like there is still lots of Vita games I want to buy this year.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:41 am

Yeah I'm mostly looking at 2D stuff, though with some 3D games if they appeal, and physical releases first and foremost too, i have pre-ordered Darius Burst and Skullgirls ltd Ed, and will wait and see if Mighty No.9 gets an Asian release or not.