Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bluce_Ree

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:54 am

I'm going to start working on the trophies for Need For Speed next I think. I've got like 3 trophies on it but it looks like a doable platinum. Seems like a decent game.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:27 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Two people, one Vita :lol: Co-op play has both players playing on the same Vita - one using the left stick and d pad to control one ship, the other using the face buttons and right stick to control the other ship. It sucks, being the loner that I am I can't clear the later missions on my own (7 is impossible without a second player). A pity as I've done everything else....
That's the worst thing I've ever heard!

You should go to Play Manchester, I'll be there and you're welcome to my thumbs to get it done!
If I end up attending Play I may well take you up on that offer :lol:

I had a bit of Vita time as I was away last week and got the platinum on GW3. The local co-op is the worst! Luckily the wife isn't a bad gamer so she helped me out. I'll deffo be able to get you through it if you end up in Manchester.

Also maxed out Murasaki Baby (liked it), Sound Shapes (a very low-rated platinum but I found it rather tricky - comes with cross-save trophies for the PS3/PS4 version though!), Super Stardust Delta's DLC (already had the vanilla max). :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:13 am

I really liked Muraski Baby, its not the most amazing game ever made but it held my attention and didn't wear out its welcome. Awesome graphics/soundtrack as well. Monster Bag is sorta like that, looks and sounds great but its let down by some average gameplay.

I've spent all weekend playing IA/VT on the Vita... Its excellent, but its a pity that you need to play through easy mode for the platinum, its just too slow paced and easy for me. Hard mode is far more fun.

I did manage to find some time to play through most of Shovel Knights DLC - Plague Knight. Its free and its better than most paid DLC. Really well designed and addictive, plus your new power set means you can navigate areas in completely different ways. Pity there are only two trophies in the game, compared to the 20 you get for the Xbox One DLC...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:54 pm

This months PS+ games are up for the Vita - the two standout games this month for me are Super Meat Boy and Broken Age. I've only played Super Meat Boy so far, it seems like an almost perfect port (I had one small audio glitch once) but otherwise its ace. The trophy list is absolutely insane though, not sure how many of those I'll end up getting.

I also played through part 1 of Broken Sword 5 on the Vita. Absolutely brilliant, its got excellent puzzles and a brilliant story. Can't wait to play the second part!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

David

Post by David » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:26 pm

these are only £59.99 in my local cash generator, are thy worth it?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:05 pm

David wrote:these are only £59.99 in my local cash generator, are thy worth it?
Assuming they come with a memory card (otherwise, that is an added cost...) and if there are enough games you are interested in on the system then yes. However bare in mind its a system that gets niche support - Japanese games and indies and not big 3rd party or Sony franchises. If your expecting a software library like the PSP then you'll be disappointed.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:33 am

David wrote:these are only £59.99 in my local cash generator, are thy worth it?
for £60 I'd go for it - try and grab the older heavier model as it's got a nicer screen
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:25 am

Shadowman, I'm at Play this Saturday. Offer still stands for co-op help on GW3!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Shadowman, I'm at Play this Saturday. Offer still stands for co-op help on GW3!
Pity, I'm working over the weekend so I have no chance of making it over :(

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Super Meat Boy is so damn addictive for the Vita... The game is a perfect fit for the system, I can dive in and out of it quickly and clear a couple of stages when I have a spare minute. Its still rock solid difficulty wise though, not sure how I'll cope with the final levels in the game...

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:28 am

Sony confirms it's not making Vita games anymore:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/23/sony-offi ... s-5457689/

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:20 am

Treguard wrote:Sony confirms it's not making Vita games anymore:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/23/sony-offi ... s-5457689/
They've not been making Vita games for ages now, so this comes as no surprise for me. I'll just keep picking up whichever indies and Japanese release pop up (which is still a fair few at the moment). Still, pity they won't do any games like Tearaway, Gravity Rush or Killzone Mercs again, those were all top games.

Gamewise I've been playing through Super Meat Boy, 1001 Spikes and now Proteus.

Super Meat Boy is certainly one of the best platformers ever released (in my opinion). Its fast paced, tough (yet somehow fair) and has plenty of content. I managed to clear all the light and dark worlds with A+ ranks and all the warp zones. I also got enough bandages for the game to give me the 100% trophy, which is weird as I'm still short 3 bandages...

So I moved onto 1001 Spikes, which as the name might suggest is damn evil. You'll definitely get killed by spikes 1001 times assuming you don't get pissed off at all the hidden/cheap deaths and give up! I guess Rick Dangerous might be the best comparison to this? They are both bastard hard platform games with deaths you'll never see coming! It is though pretty damn addictive, and you feel invincible when you clear some of the later levels (especially the antarctic levels). Not one for the faint of heart that is for sure, but if your looking for a challenge I definitely recommend it, its definitely harder than Super Meat Boy in my opinion.

Proteus is the complete opposite of the two games above. Its a walking sim, you explore a deserted island and weird stuff happens. No death, no hidden traps, just a really nice soundtrack, atmosphere and beautiful pixel graphics.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:53 am

Couple of pictures of my recent new arrivals - LE's for Blazblue and Corpse Party, along with Asian releases of RE Revelations 2 and Samurai Warriors 4 II. My total now sits at around 220 physical releases that I am slowly playing through, along with a whole load of digital games that I am also slowly working through...

Currently I'm working through Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Knytt Underground. UMVC3 is great fun, still my favourite fighter on the system due to how well it handles for me, plus I love the character roster.

Kyntt Underground is an interesting one, its not the best example of a metroidvania game I've played but its certainly fairly addictive. However most of the good stuff is pretty hard to find without a guide, I've had way more fun doing all the optional trophies compared to just rushing through the main game.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:44 am

Quite enjoying Heroes of Loot. It's two quid in the sales and is a cheap and cheerful Gauntlet clone from the guys that made Gunslugs. I'm into it.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:18 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Quite enjoying Heroes of Loot. It's two quid in the sales and is a cheap and cheerful Gauntlet clone from the guys that made Gunslugs. I'm into it.
Thanks for the heads up - just bought it on your recommendation! Always up for a bit of a Gauntlet clone!

Seems to have a nice, easy and fun trophy list too.