Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ShadowMan

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:28 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I've started playing Metrico. It's not bad. Typically arty indie puzzle platformer. Quite clever though.
The controls killed it for me after a while, the camera, gyro stuff pissed me off so much. It was patched though to improve it but I've never gone back to the game yet (I probably should).

At the moment I'm playing Walking Dead Season 1 (which is ace) and "2013 The Infected" which is so painfully average. I've finished 2013 and I have 0 desire to get all the trophies...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:25 pm

Been busy with my Vita over the last week. Finished off Walking Dead Season 1 + 400 Days. Loved it, even if the QTE's/scene transitions skipped a bit in places. Can't wait to start Season 2 soon.

I've also been playing Senran Kagura Bon Appetite. I got the Japanese physical release, which by luck has all the DLC included on the cart :mrgreen: The game itself is a great rhythm action game, a tad on the easy side perhaps at times but still a really addictive game.

I've also started Titan Souls which I can tell will be a tough one to complete. Its a series of boss battles with a pretty little overworld to explore between battles. You can only take one hit, but the bosses usually only have 1-2 hits as well (at the moment, I have a feeling that will change). Its all down to learning their attacks, weak spots and then getting lucky.
Only complaints are the lack of quick restart against the bosses (you have no checkpoint right at the boss, so you have to walk from the restart point back to the boss). Otherwise it seems like a promising yet tough game. Looks like it has a few extra modes for replayability.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:05 pm

My latest Vita arrival:

Its the English Asian release of Oreshika. I'm loving that more and more Vita games are getting physical English releases in Asia, its really handy from a collectors point of view.

Also, for reasons unknown the Euro release of Shovel Knight has been delayed until tomorrow. Seems pretty weird in my opinion, also annoying that I have to wait that extra day!

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 am

Just completed Suikoden. Absolute belter of a game. Great story, every reason to recruit all 108 characters, and I can't wait to get cracking with the sequel.

If you haven't downloaded this game yet I strongly urge you to do so.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Downloaded Shovel Knight last weekend and I can't get enough of it. It's easy to make a game appear to be a homage to old games but to make one genuinely feel like one is something else, and this nails it.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat May 02, 2015 11:52 pm

I've started dabbling with Sayonara UmiharaKawase, I got my import copy of it a few days back. Its challenging to say the least, I don't have a good grasp on the controls so I need to play it some more, I get the feeling it plays amazingly well when you get everything down, but until then I feel like I fumble through levels pretty badly. Its a unique concept if nothing else.
STranger81 wrote:Downloaded Shovel Knight last weekend and I can't get enough of it. It's easy to make a game appear to be a homage to old games but to make one genuinely feel like one is something else, and this nails it.
Agreed 100%. Glad to hear your enjoying it :mrgreen:

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun May 03, 2015 2:18 pm

look at it sideways wrote:Just completed Suikoden. Absolute belter of a game. Great story, every reason to recruit all 108 characters, and I can't wait to get cracking with the sequel.

2nd is even better!

Eat your nans pants

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun May 03, 2015 2:53 pm

crusto wrote:
look at it sideways wrote:Just completed Suikoden. Absolute belter of a game. Great story, every reason to recruit all 108 characters, and I can't wait to get cracking with the sequel.

2nd is even better!
So I hear. I'm taking a break before playing it though to play Broken Age on the PS4. Once I'm done with that, I'll be getting right on to it. Shame there's no eady way of playing Suikoden III here, I quite like the idea of playing my way through the series.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 03, 2015 6:40 pm

look at it sideways wrote:
crusto wrote:

2nd is even better!
So I hear. I'm taking a break before playing it though to play Broken Age on the PS4. Once I'm done with that, I'll be getting right on to it. Shame there's no eady way of playing Suikoden III here, I quite like the idea of playing my way through the series.
I swear I read that SIII might be coming to PS3 via PS2 classics, so you might be able to get a digital version of it down the line. Not sure how true that is though.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 am

Getting a Vita this week. I was wondering about PSN accounts. I don't have one at the moment. Should I bother with a european account or just go straight for a US one?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:Getting a Vita this week. I was wondering about PSN accounts. I don't have one at the moment. Should I bother with a european account or just go straight for a US one?
Which region games are you planning to get? If your going for PAL games I'd recommend a Euro account as you'll lock yourself out of DLC otherwise (games are region free, DLC is region locked).

Also consider the Euro and USA PSN store have a slightly different selection of digital releases. Also keep in mind its a pain in the ass to change profiles once you have one set up on your Vita (you can only have one account on your Vita at any time).

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Mon May 04, 2015 4:21 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
sirpigmeat wrote:Getting a Vita this week. I was wondering about PSN accounts. I don't have one at the moment. Should I bother with a european account or just go straight for a US one?
Which region games are you planning to get? If your going for PAL games I'd recommend a Euro account as you'll lock yourself out of DLC otherwise (games are region free, DLC is region locked).

Also consider the Euro and USA PSN store have a slightly different selection of digital releases. Also keep in mind its a pain in the ass to change profiles once you have one set up on your Vita (you can only have one account on your Vita at any time).
Yeah mainly pal I think, didn't think about the DLC being locked... Although I rarely buy it anyway. But Might go for a Euro one at first though and see how I get on.

I'm thinking of getting some japanese imports at some point, i've started learning japanese this year, would be good to have some games to practice on. MIght even try to get a Jap PSN account too at some point.

Was looking at games on Amazon today, lots of stuff to buy. I'm mainly looking to get JRPG's, Strategy and niche stuff, and a few platformers. Not really interested in AAA, sports games, FPS or fighters.

Might get Tales of Hearts R first, haven't played a Tales game in ages. I want the Persona games as i haven't played any of the series and got PersonaQ on 3DS, i've put back playing it til I've played the others. I'll try out one of these "visual novel" games, don't think i've played one before. Might also try Natural Doctrine, it didn't get too hot reviews but seemingly because it was too hard, but I like hard strategy games so might try that out.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Vita's got plenty of niche games that's for sure, especially if your willing to import a few from Japan.

Platformer wise its hard for me not to recommend Sayonara UmiharaKawase + at the moment. Its a game that takes time to click, but once it does it becomes awesome. The grapple/swing mechanics are tough to learn but invaluable once you do start learning them, you'll be reaching secret exits that you thought were unreachable before. Its got plenty of content plus the original Super Famicom game on top of that (which has multiple routes as well).

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Tue May 05, 2015 8:35 am

ShadowMan wrote:Vita's got plenty of niche games that's for sure, especially if your willing to import a few from Japan.

Platformer wise its hard for me not to recommend Sayonara UmiharaKawase + at the moment. Its a game that takes time to click, but once it does it becomes awesome. The grapple/swing mechanics are tough to learn but invaluable once you do start learning them, you'll be reaching secret exits that you thought were unreachable before. Its got plenty of content plus the original Super Famicom game on top of that (which has multiple routes as well).
I'll give it a go, is that download only in europe? I might get the download and get a Jap copy to compare my translation skills. I actually took a jump in the deep end and imported SUPER ROBOT TAISEN OG SAGA: MASOU KISHIN III - PRIDE OF JUSTICE. Which being text heavy i'll have to learn japanese or waste my money. So that'll be interesting.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue May 05, 2015 8:45 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Vita's got plenty of niche games that's for sure, especially if your willing to import a few from Japan.

I'll give it a go, is that download only in europe? I might get the download and get a Jap copy to compare my translation skills. I actually took a jump in the deep end and imported SUPER ROBOT TAISEN OG SAGA: MASOU KISHIN III - PRIDE OF JUSTICE. Which being text heavy i'll have to learn japanese or waste my money. So that'll be interesting.
Yep, its digital only outside of Japan. Its a fairly inexpensive game to import as well (cost me around £25). Also, if you want a great puzzle game go after Puyo Puyo/Tetris. Its a mix of both games with a silly story and lots of awesome modes. Its insanely addictive, and also fairly cheap.