Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ShadowMan

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:24 pm

Count yourself lucky you couldn't download OlliOlli 2, if you started playing it you might not play anything else for a long time! I've been playing it more this week, and I've managed to complete all the amateur challenges, I'm now onto the Pro challenges and they are suitably titled. Pro stuff is hard! Its just hard enough to be a real challenge yet somehow always manages to keep me coming back for more!

Then there is La Malana EX, Hotline Miami 2 and Flame Over all of which I really want to buy. Not enough time in the day...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Too late!! Its worked today, its installing as i type. 8)

Oh, its done....see you later :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:44 pm

I don't know how I feel about Flame Over, which is a shame as I'm reviewing it.

On the one hand it's a good idea and is quite addictive but compared to Rogue Legacy (it's closest counterpart on the same system) it doesn't have as many upgrade options and so feels very limited. The fire stuff is cleverly worked out but it's not always fun.

Not bad though and might get better.

Needs a tutorial though. There's a good tips video by the devs out there which explains it all but that info should have been in the game.

OlliOlli 2 is great. The new art style is mostly better and the manual move is decent.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:11 pm

I've got Flame Over to try, along with Hotline Miami 2 and La Mulana EX. From what I understand all three are rather bastard hard. So that suits me down to the ground :lol:
nokgod wrote:Too late!! Its worked today, its installing as i type. 8)

Oh, its done....see you later :wink:
Let me know what you think of it, if you can pull yourself away from the game :wink:

New Vita games time, my American games I ordered a little while back arrived, along with my Euro Lego Movie game:

Mind Zero, Conception 2, Valhalla Knights 3 and Hyper Neptunia 1 from the import side of things. Also my Euro version of Lego the Movie arrived. I also forgot that Tokyo Twilight Hunters is out this week, I should hopefully have that soon! Looking forward to giving that a try and also finally starting DanganRonpa.

Looking at my (hopefully correct) Excel spreadsheet the only games I'm short (normal Euro games) should just be Fifa 14 and 15 and that's it. I'm not in any rush to get those, the price can fall before I get two more Fifa games (I've already got two, and these two are just the same effing game with a slightly different roster...). I need the Ragnarok games from USA and then whatever Japanese games I go for. Then its the hard bit, playing them all! Made all the harder since the new Yakuza game is also out today :lol:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Ok OlliOlli. Hmm. I can see its appeal and it plays beautifully but its not really me. I gave it half hour and thought 'meh'. But then i thought about it and realised i've never got on with any skateboarding game ever, so i'm not blaming the game. I think the exception to that sweeping statement would be Skate or Die: Bad 'n Rad (Gameboy).

I MUCH prefer Counter Spy. Now that i'm absolutely loving! Its not without its faults (level load times being the main culprit) but i'm having so much fun i can forgive it pretty much anything. It suits my style of play like a glove. 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:30 am

In preparation for my long days of travelling I created a new PSN account and re-charged my Vita. Currently having a lot of fun on Project Diva F 4 & Everybody's Golf. I'd almost forgotten how much fun this system could be!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:18 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I don't know how I feel about Flame Over, which is a shame as I'm reviewing it.

On the one hand it's a good idea and is quite addictive but compared to Rogue Legacy (it's closest counterpart on the same system) it doesn't have as many upgrade options and so feels very limited. The fire stuff is cleverly worked out but it's not always fun.

Not bad though and might get better.

Needs a tutorial though. There's a good tips video by the devs out there which explains it all but that info should have been in the game.

OlliOlli 2 is great. The new art style is mostly better and the manual move is decent.
Right, played this game for quite a few hours and now I have a better opinion on the game.

Yes it needs a tutorial, parts are very unclear, I managed to figure out most on my own, but for others I've been relying on communication with one of the devs (I think) over at Neogaf.

I've now cleared the game, without dying so I've got a much better handle on it.

The most important thing on the game is to use the map and head to the power room first to turn off the electricity. Suddenly fighting fires becomes so much easier.

I use a mix of both weapons to clear rooms quickly. Fires don't actually hurt you so its possible to run through areas to humans/cats to get them out of there quick. Just make sure a fireball (or fire wave) hits them else they are probably dead. On that note, there are a few instances where humans died as soon as I entered a room, much to my frustration... Its going to make those (run through and save all humans) trophies much harder.

The powers that you need to upgrade are: money off on items (dead handy), water grenades (absolutely vital for later levels), defense up again fires (again, absolutely vital).

Its a good game, flawed in some ways but I've been playing this game exclusively for a couple of days now so its at least damn addictive.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 am

I'm all about Soldner X2 right now.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:56 pm

Senran Kagura Bon Appetit! So. Many. Breasts. :shock:

Edit: Does anyone know of any NA exclusive titles I should pick up? I have about $250.00 in Amazon credit and I'm due to fly back to the UK mid-May. Just wondered which of the many Japanese titles I'm tempted by are only available here.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:23 am

Rayne wrote:Senran Kagura Bon Appetit! So. Many. Breasts. :shock:

Edit: Does anyone know of any NA exclusive titles I should pick up? I have about $250.00 in Amazon credit and I'm due to fly back to the UK mid-May. Just wondered which of the many Japanese titles I'm tempted by are only available here.
Most of the games are available digitally over here, its mainly Japan that has the proper exclusives on the system, but I could recommend a few games that never got a UK physical release if you'd like?

Though there is one game I can't recommend enough that never got any Euro release that did get an American release if you can find it - and that is DJ Max Technika Tune. I know you like Project Diva, and this in my opinion is right up there in terms of Rhythm action and is probably my most played Vita game. Well worth getting, if you can find it (otherwise just import the Japanese/Korean version. Its in full English anyway).

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:36 am

I'm still not sure about Flame Over! You're right though, it is addictive.

Soldner X2 is good. It was my fave shoot em up on the PS3 and this is a straight port. I'd like to have seen some additional features that take into account what the Vita hardware can do but overall it's a solid shoot em up of a sort that is very rare on the Vita. It looks lovely on the OLED too.

Started Resistance: Burning Skies yesterday. I quite like it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I'm still not sure about Flame Over! You're right though, it is addictive.

Soldner X2 is good. It was my fave shoot em up on the PS3 and this is a straight port. I'd like to have seen some additional features that take into account what the Vita hardware can do but overall it's a solid shoot em up of a sort that is very rare on the Vita. It looks lovely on the OLED too.

Started Resistance: Burning Skies yesterday. I quite like it.
Flame Over is a game that gets better the more you play it for sure... I've put over 15 hours into the game now (pretty crazy since I've owned it for less than a week...) and I've finally managed to beat the game all the way through at once without dying, without buying any power ups. I'm just short the pain in the ass "no civilian deaths" trophies now which I still believe are damned near impossible thanks to them sometimes dying way to quick.

Is Soldner out yet then? I'd not seen it in the store else I'd have probably brought it too since it looks really good, and I could use another shoot em up on the handheld.

Resistance could have been brilliant, but its just good (great in places). Its just got uninspiring level design and a censored final boss. The combat itself is actually really good, as they got the weapons right from previous Resistance games, plus the touch screen is used effectively for the most part so I actually had a heck of a lot of fun with the game. If it'd have just had some better levels then I'd have no problem recommending it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Will American Vita games work on a European Vita? I thought they were region locked?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Treguard wrote:

Will American Vita games work on a European Vita? I thought they were region locked?
Physical game carts are region free, its 3DS games that are region locked (unless you put homebrew on your 3DS).

Digital codes/games are tied to an account of the same country though, so in order to play a USA digital game you will need to have an American PSN account on your Vita. And as you can only have one account on a Vita at one time, that is a pain in the ass. That's also why I currently have two Vita's (one for a Euro account, one to alternate between a Japanese and USA account).

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:58 am

ShadowMan wrote:

Most of the games are available digitally over here, its mainly Japan that has the proper exclusives on the system, but I could recommend a few games that never got a UK physical release if you'd like?

Though there is one game I can't recommend enough that never got any Euro release that did get an American release if you can find it - and that is DJ Max Technika Tune. I know you like Project Diva, and this in my opinion is right up there in terms of Rhythm action and is probably my most played Vita game. Well worth getting, if you can find it (otherwise just import the Japanese/Korean version. Its in full English anyway).
Thank you Shadowman!

Good to hear that the games are available physically in the UK, if that's the case I can wait until I get back.

I absolutely LOVED DJ MAX on the PSP but when I was in Aki I passed on it as I already picked up Diva. Having searched I can see my local Best Buy has a few copies in stock, going to pick one up tomorrow :mrgreen: