Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gmintyfresh

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:38 am

Minecraft Vita arrived early, free code for the ps3 version makes it an even bigger bargain! http://instagram.com/p/vW40zuSFwh/

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:51 am

I don't have a Vita myself, but they're flying out the door of Amazon by the truckload this year. I should probably add that it's the only Vita game I've seen go past me in there this year.
Where logic won't work, I will

tmc

Post by tmc » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:42 pm

Shadow man, Just wanted to say thanks for your time posting in this thread. I dip in and out and don't post as often as I should but buy so many based solely on your posts. Ur one of the few places I can get import vita info.

Just ordered waking dead season two after your last post, didn't know it had a physical release even!

Would you recommend freedom wars or soul sacrifice delta for single player offline play only? which of those two would suit that, if either, I fancy a monster hunter-ish game but only play offline on my own :cry: !

Thanks again.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:28 pm

tmc wrote:Shadow man, Just wanted to say thanks for your time posting in this thread. I dip in and out and don't post as often as I should but buy so many based solely on your posts. Ur one of the few places I can get import vita info.

Just ordered waking dead season two after your last post, didn't know it had a physical release even!

Would you recommend freedom wars or soul sacrifice delta for single player offline play only? which of those two would suit that, if either, I fancy a monster hunter-ish game but only play offline on my own :cry: !

Thanks again.
Happy to help. Its a pain to get Vita info as Sony isn't exactly all that forthcoming with it. I get mine from a Neogaf thread which is updated all the time with lots of new games, a website called "The Vita Lounge" which is also a great source of info and fellow forum member Morkin (who is responsible for tempting me to collect so many Vita games!).

Either FW or SSD would be well worth it even just for single player. I'm playing Freedom Wars right now and its excellent plus that has bots that assist you in missions I've played so far so it should be perfectly playable offline. FW is closer to a third person shooter with the awesome thorn weapon which sorta acts like Bionic Commando's arm or Spidey's web shooter so you can grap, pull over etc. bigger enemies as well as climb to larger areas with ease. SSD is closer to an action RPG or close quarters combat game with most of its powers (though you can get such a large variety of stuff you can play however you see fit).

Also, for no reason here is a photo of my newest arrivals:

Batman is the game I wanted most out of the lot as the mini fig editions for Lego Vita games become real hard to get after launch so I was glad to grab that one quickly. Mine Craft is the surprise though, as I've never played it before I was surprised that it is more fun than I expected. Can't say I'll spend hundreds of hours on it but I'm sure I'll get lots of playtime from it as I aim for a platinum trophy.

Also, digital wise I grabbed Counter Spy as its currently half price. I really like it, its a great 2D stealth/action game sorta like the first GBA Splinter Cell game (which is also awesome). It goes into a 3D perspective when you aim from cover, its really stylish. Only problems with the game is some questionable level design (thanks to them being randomly generated), long load times and frame rate issues when the fighting gets intense.
I'm also finishing off Retro City Rampage, the later missions seem better. Just done a weird Beverly Hills 90210 type drama mission, a Zelda mission with Monkey Island references and a mission based on the dam level from the NES Turtles game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Currently playing:

Nidhogg - pretty decent but shortlived fencing game. Plays a little better on the PS4 (is cross-buy).
Terraria - as great as ever. 2D Minecraft but with more of a point and slightly faster pacing.
Minutes - very stylish dodge em up. Would be great but....
Don't Die Mr Robot - wins the king of the dodgers title. Fab little game. My game of the year so far.

Am really enjoying an oldie at the moment. History: Legends of War. WW2 flavoured X-Com clone (sort of). I liked the 360 version and this is the same as that.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Minecraft on the Vita is very very good....

I have recently got very addicted to the ps4 version and it will be nice to be equally addicted on the go....

(that means in the toilet at work :lol: )

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Current sale on with Killzone reduced to £7.

Its a very good game to be fair, im really enjoying it.

Also Unfinished Swan was a suprise freebie if youve downloaded previously on ps3

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Hadn't realised Walking Dead Episode 2 got a physical release, must pick that up. Cheers Shadowman

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:26 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Hadn't realised Walking Dead Episode 2 got a physical release, must pick that up. Cheers Shadowman
As with the first season and Wolf Among Us its USA only unfortunately. I really wish Telltale would release their games over here physically rather than just as downloads.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:33 am

ShadowMan wrote:Almost all games do not have instruction manuals. Sometimes they have 1 small sheet in them for DLC or crap but that's all. A couple of Japanese games though actually do come with manuals - the most notable being Senran Kagura which has an incredibly thick and detailed manual.
Thanks for the info. Nice to know I'm not missing anything.

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:42 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:Current sale on with Killzone reduced to £7.

Also Unfinished Swan was a suprise freebie if youve downloaded previously on ps3

I didn't know that! I download it last year on PS3 (or was it two years ago?), it was good...

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Plays well on the vita too.

iprice

Post by iprice » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:03 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:Current sale on with Killzone reduced to £7.

Can I ask where you found it on sale at that price? Cheers :)
I fancy a nice hot cup of tea. Splash of milk. No sugar.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:38 am

It's on the PSN Store for £6.99.

I bought Lego Batman 3 today and it's somewhat of a return to form for the handheld versions. Still no free roam as such, but the hub levels are much bigger than before, with hidden stuff to be unlocked in them too. It's still not quite a proper console port, but far closer now. I'm also amused by the proton pack sound effect in the options...

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:51 pm

Looking forward to Soldner X 2 on the Vita. It's one of the better horizontal shoot em ups I've played - it's been out for a while on the PS3 - and the Vita version will be cross-buy when it comes out. Soon apparently.