Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Flint

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Flint » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm going to wear out my d-pad playing Pix The Cat, what a fantastic game it is.

Some nice gifs here if you haven't seen them.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/ ... 4-ps-vita/

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Flint wrote:I'm going to wear out my d-pad playing Pix The Cat, what a fantastic game it is.

Its a really slick game. I really need to sit down and play the game properly when I get a chance.
Morkin wrote:Minecraft has been confirmed for 15 October. :D
Yay? I'm not really all that interested, but as long as it still gets a retail release I'll play it eventually.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying Tetris/Pyo Pyo on the Vita. The fusion levels where you switch between both styles is insanely addictive and it all works really well.

I also played Dungeon Hunter on the Vita and its horrible. It looks and runs like crap and it got really annoying really quickly. A real pity as its a diluted Diablo on the go. It should have been amazing, but what do you expect from Gameloft? I'd recommend avoiding at all costs.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:56 am

Flint wrote:I'm going to wear out my d-pad playing Pix The Cat, what a fantastic game it is.

God damn it. What does a guy have to do to get a million on the Starter grid. I'm using loads of grinding and a pretty much perfect route. 890,000. ARGH.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:23 pm

I've been hammering the Vita this week finishing a few of the games I've had on my shelf...

I managed to finish Akiba's Trip 2 yesterday. I really enjoyed the game despite the technical flaws. Its got a surprisingly entertainingly story and dialogue, so I'll end up replaying it several times to get all the endings. That and its the closest thing I've got to a Yakuza Vita game!

Next up was COD Black Ops Declassified. I enjoyed it far more than the last time I played it. I managed to clear all the optional modes with 3 stars and cleared the main game getting most of the trophies. I just can't bring myself to clear Vet mode though, its too annoying especially with the lack of checkpoints and unskippable cut scenes. It really is too short though, it took me about a day to finish.

I'm now testing out Bullet Girls. Its certainly... unique in its approach to "battle damage". It beats Akiba's Trip and Senran Kagura in terms of nudity and fan service (which is no small feat) but what most of the previews I read seem to miss is that its a very nice game to look at technically and its incredibly smooth frame rate wise. I can see me enjoying this quite a bit...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Had my Vita for about a week now (PHAT OLED version) and really like it. Had Sly Trilogy but didn't really dig it.

Absolutely loving uncharted: golden abyss though. Totally compelling. Gonna try and pick up either ys: Memories of Celceta or MvsC next week.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:21 am

Don't Die, Mr. Robot! is being harshly and unfairly (in my opinion) criticised for its art style, but it's a tremendously addictive arcade game and perfect for killing a few minutes here and there... but also blessed with that "just one more go" factor. Great fun.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:59 am

I'm assuming the crossbuy 'free' copy of Minecraft on Vita only applies to new purchases. We have the PS3 version and saw the idea of crossbuy as great for my boy - not objecting to buying , just make the intentions of crossbuy a bit clearer.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:28 pm

I pre-ordered 'Ultimate Tetris' for the Vita months ago (only £13) and it looks like the 3DS version is being released on Friday, but the Vita version is still TBA! I hope it's not getting cancelled.

Also, anyone tried 'Freedom Wars' yet? It looks quite good, but I'm not sure it's £25 good!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:26 pm

batman877 wrote:I pre-ordered 'Ultimate Tetris' for the Vita months ago (only £13) and it looks like the 3DS version is being released on Friday, but the Vita version is still TBA! I hope it's not getting cancelled.

Also, anyone tried 'Freedom Wars' yet? It looks quite good, but I'm not sure it's £25 good!
Freedom Wars is ace, I'm really liking it.

Honestly, Ultimate Tetris probably won't even be half as good as just importing Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Vita. That game is excellent - the fusion of both puzzle games is well executed and its even more addictive than usual. Its also pretty cheap to import...

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:51 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:Absolutely loving uncharted: golden abyss though. Totally compelling. Gonna try and pick up either ys: Memories of Celceta or MvsC next week.
I loved Uncharted: GA, for some reason Uncharted on a big screen gives me motion sickness after a while - strange since the camera is not first person - and I can't play them for too long, but I don't have this problem on the Vita...
I was gonna start Celceta or Persona 4 and went for Persona in the end... It's supposed to be really good, I hope it is :D (haven't played it on PS2)

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Uncharted makes me feel like indiana jones, minus the whip :) having to examine artifacts and make charcoal rubbings is such a simple thing that adds a lot to the feel of the game.

This is my latest purchase

I do have a small general Vita question, do any of the games have instruction manuals?

The last 3 I have got from cex and dont know if they should've come with manuals or not.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Almost all games do not have instruction manuals. Sometimes they have 1 small sheet in them for DLC or crap but that's all. A couple of Japanese games though actually do come with manuals - the most notable being Senran Kagura which has an incredibly thick and detailed manual.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:43 am

ShadowMan wrote: Freedom Wars is ace, I'm really liking it.

Honestly, Ultimate Tetris probably won't even be half as good as just importing Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Vita. That game is excellent - the fusion of both puzzle games is well executed and its even more addictive than usual. Its also pretty cheap to import...
I've just bought Freedom Wars for around £22 from Shopto - looking forward to sinking several hours into it!

As for Tetris, the only reason I wanted the Vita version over the 3DS is because I'm a bit of a trophy wh*re! :oops:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:09 am

I love getting trophies as well, I've not seen a thing about the release of Tetris Ultimate over here unfortunately...

In the mean time though I'm playing this months PS+ game - Binding of Isaac. I've killed moms heart 5 times now and got the message "now the game gets harder". Its as if they were implying it wasn't hard before! Its such an ace game though, when I get in the swing of things and get a good set of powers I can clear the game, its only when I get censored luck with the items things get really hard. The item I got last run through was one where my body is severed from its head. I control the head and fly around while my severed torso just runs into enemies. You can only use it once every few rooms so I saved it for bosses, as it killed them in under ten seconds!

I should have a fairly decent week of Vita games as well - I've got Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 2 on their way from America, Tales and Mindcraft should be arriving this week some time and hopefully Game actually charge me for Lego Batman 3 so I can get the mini fig edition of that.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:32 pm

playing through my backlog of psvita games from psn plus, as my sub runs out at the end of the year.

Starting with Lego Lord of the Rings, really loving it. Despite the framerate issues, the gameplay is solid, and the help of the orchestral soundtrack is really pulling me into the game.