Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:44 pm

gmintyfresh wrote: EDF 3 Portable - Asian version £15
Enjoy, such a great port (and good game in general). I really need to play my copy of The Walking Dead as well... So many games so little time... Then I look at the games shown off by Sony today getting released on the Vita at their pre TGS show. I think I hear my wallet crying!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The vast majority of it looks like a very good third-person shooter with a large range of weapons and a cover system. Obviously the bits everyone are going mad about is that fact that when you shoot the girls their clothes degrade causing their boobs to get exposed. There's also an interrogation bit where you can stick phallic shapes in their mouths and grope them for information. I've already upset someone on twitter because I suggested I may buy it.
Japan is fundamentally wrong. I thought Killer is Dead was a bit sketchy, this sounds ridiculous!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Montytom wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Approaching the end of Walking Dead, Chapter 4 had some real twists in it and 5 is nicely wrapping things up. Muramasa next.

Picked up a couple of imports this month:

EDF 3 Portable - Asian version £15

Sorcery Saga Limited Edition - US £13

Where did you get this for £13?
Id bite at that price.
Thanks in advance Thomas
A random ebay seller, he had 0 feedback so I took a bit of a punt.
ShadowMan wrote:
Enjoy, such a great port (and good game in general). I really need to play my copy of The Walking Dead as well... So many games so little time... Then I look at the games shown off by Sony today getting released on the Vita at their pre TGS show. I think I hear my wallet crying!
Never played an EDF game mate so I'm looking forward to it, eventually. Walking Dead is cool very much pick up and play, it's been invaluable on my trips into work for the last few weeks and far more stable than the 360 port! I know what you mean about that release schedule, oh I forgot the Vita is dead! ;)

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:
Montytom wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Approaching the end of Walking Dead, Chapter 4 had some real twists in it and 5 is nicely wrapping things up. Muramasa next.

Picked up a couple of imports this month:

EDF 3 Portable - Asian version £15

Sorcery Saga Limited Edition - US £13

Where did you get this for £13?
Id bite at that price.
Thanks in advance Thomas
A random ebay seller, he had 0 feedback so I took a bit of a punt.
ShadowMan wrote:
Never played an EDF game mate so I'm looking forward to it, eventually. Walking Dead is cool very much pick up and play, it's been invaluable on my trips into work for the last few weeks and far more stable than the 360 port! I know what you mean about that release schedule, oh I forgot the Vita is dead! ;)
Thanks for letting me know :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Finished The Walking Dead last night, now playing 400 Days, I seem to be flying through it.

djslope

Post by djslope » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Blatantly been bought up already but downloaded hotline miami on my Vita on sunday and couldnt put it down

SO SO SO SO GOOD

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Don't Starve is free now if you bought it/got it from PS+ a while ago.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:43 am

djslope wrote:Blatantly been bought up already but downloaded hotline miami on my Vita on sunday and couldnt put it down

SO SO SO SO GOOD
Amazing game. I personally think the Vita version is the definitive version. I loved it so much I ended up Platinuming it

Its been a decent month for the Vita, tons of nice downloadble titles with the highlights for me being Rogue Legacy and The Swapper and now Velocity 2X is free.

Anyway, I'm currently playing two Vita games...

Velocity 2X as mentioned above is awesome. If you've played the first game then this is more of the same - fly your ship fast, blow up stuff, grab survivors and try and get the elusive perfect ranks. What is added here (apart from the nice snazzy new graphics) are on foot sections. Don't worry though, they work really well and aren't poorly implemented in the list and complement the game really well. When you get in the zone and just blitz through levels without stopping it feels insanely satisfying! I urge everyone to give it a download, its right up there with Rogue Legacy and The Swapper as favourites of mine this year.

I'm also playing Akiba's Trip on the Vita. First the bad - its technically censored in places... like the frame rate which has serious problems most of the time when you enter areas as its still spawning the tons of civilians that inhabit the areas. Once they all spawn in things even out. Combat is also not a slick affair, with input lag sometimes rearing its ugly head and making it feel to button mashy for its own good.
Now for the good - the story is daft and yet compelling. Akiba itself is really well done, the shops, side streets and little nuances here and there make it feel like the real deal (the atmosphere is excellent, almost on par with Yakuza or Shenmue). The graphics and resolution are also incredible, so maybe they should have dialed this back to make it run slightly more stable? Also the "strip" aspect of the combat is a novel and new approach that works well, even if the combat is iffy at times. Oh, and some of the dialog choices you get in the story are really entertaining. All in all due to technical issues its an above average game, but one that I'm addicted to. I'll grab the PS4 version on release as that fixes many of the problems I have with this version. But until then this is still the closest thing to a Yakuza game on the Vita.

Oh, and screw you Capcom for not releasing Megaman X4 and X5 on the Euro store for me to buy like you did in America. I'm now going to have to dig out one of my four other versions to play...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 am

I've fallen in love with Muramasa, not only is it more beautiful than Dragons Crown but the combat system is more intuative.

Simply glorius.

Finished Walking Dead and 400 days, easiest platinum ever.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:25 am

gmintyfresh wrote:I've fallen in love with Muramasa, not only is it more beautiful than Dragons Crown but the combat system is more intuative.

Simply glorius.

Get the DLC for Muramasa - they are all excellent and add some great new boss battles into the game. They are also pretty cheap which is a really nice incentive.

I've been addicted to the original Velocity Ultra for the Vita. I've finally managed to clear all of the 50 levels with "perfect" ranks. I think I might be able to platinum this...

crotea

Post by crotea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:11 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:I've fallen in love with Muramasa, not only is it more beautiful than Dragons Crown but the combat system is more intuative.

Simply glorius.

Muramasa is ten times better than Dragons crown IMO

djslope

Post by djslope » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:31 pm

crotea wrote:

Simply glorius.

Muramasa is ten times better than Dragons crown IMO
I have to check this out

Flint

Post by Flint » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:12 pm

I have both Velocity games via PS+ but am yet to play either of them.
Should I begin with the first game or go straight to the sequal?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Flint wrote:I have both Velocity games via PS+ but am yet to play either of them.
Should I begin with the first game or go straight to the sequal?
The sequel feels slightly better to me, but both play very similarly so you won't really lose anything by starting with the second game.

Speaking of the first Velocity game, I decided to go back and finish it off. This was one of the harder platinums I've gone for but still...

Flint

Post by Flint » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Cheers, I've gone witht the second one.

Although I've since being distracted by Don't Starve, anybody that got the PS4 version via PS+ should now be able to get the Vita version for free.