Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

c0nfu53d

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:01 pm

@ShadowMan

I noticed you have MLB 14. Is it any good?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:11 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:@ShadowMan

I noticed you have MLB 14. Is it any good?
I've still not actually tried the game. Its right beside Arcana Heart 3 on my "to try" list when I finally manage to pull myself away from EDF 3! I'll try and give it at least a quick go over the weekend.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:34 pm

I bought The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth about a week ago, I was afraid I'd hate it as I thought is was very hard - I was so wrong, I LOVE it!
I mean, it IS hard - I'll never be able to... I won't say finish it, but not even get too far, but who cares, it's fun anyway :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:16 am

Isaac is one of those insanely addictive games that consumes me whenever I play it, so I'm currently taking a break so I can play other stuff. Its partially down to luck in my case - getting great load outs makes the game really easy as long as you memorise the enemy/boss patterns. Its a bastard hard game for sure, but its damn good at the same time!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:33 am

I played a bit of Woah Dave this morning. It's sort of terrible. The worst kind of retro graphics (looks a bit Atari-ish) and ultra-shallow gameplay. It's a bit like Mario Bros (not Super)... sort of.

Kind of maddeningly addictive.

It's go that lo-fi feel of a Gun Slugs I guess.

Also, I'm beavering away on Final Horizon. It's a tower defense kind of thing but you cover a much smaller area and ultimately it feels more like a puzzle game to me. Not convinced of its quality but I'm enjoying it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I played a bit of Woah Dave this morning. It's sort of terrible. The worst kind of retro graphics (looks a bit Atari-ish) and ultra-shallow gameplay. It's a bit like Mario Bros (not Super)... sort of.

Kind of maddeningly addictive.

It's go that lo-fi feel of a Gun Slugs I guess.

Also, I'm beavering away on Final Horizon. It's a tower defense kind of thing but you cover a much smaller area and ultimately it feels more like a puzzle game to me. Not convinced of its quality but I'm enjoying it.
I got that exact feeling from Woah Dave, I've still not got round to downloading it. I did download Duke Nukem 3D and that seems good, lots of content. The port is a bit hit or miss though - weird frame skipping where the game will pause for a second or so and then jolt back into life (makes some sections a tad annoying) and I had the game crash several times on the second level (entering the club). Otherwise it plays great, but I still can't play the game because I literally can't stand Octobrains so that's one game I'll never be able to play again :(

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:59 am

Yeah I played through Duke Nukem on XBLA and I'm not sure I'll bother with that again. Level design has come a long way since then.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Nice Shadowman!
ShadowMan wrote:Glad to see your liking the Vita Crusto. Its remained my most played console/handheld in the last year and I can't really see that changing all that much this next year.

Anyway, I snapped some updated pictures of my Vita collection. My camera sucks so the pictures aren't great but here they are:

Currently I've got around 110 titles (including imports, not including digital) and I'm short around 20 for a complete EU collection so far. Not bad going, now I just need to start completing more of the games!

Also, so far this year I've got the following games:

Can't wait to get started on the Japanese stuff, especially EDF 2. RR and Smart As are to replace my digital versions, I'm currently finishing off Smart As, I'm pretty close to finally plat'ing that game.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:42 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Nice Shadowman!
Thanks :D I've added a couple more games onto that lot since taking the picture, most notably WRC 4 which seems like a pretty content rich rally game (plays pretty decent too, even if it looks a tad bad).

I also got round to trying Woah Dave and I'm not really a fan. Maybe its because its a fairly repetitive game and doesn't do anything amazing or maybe its because I've played better examples of "retro" styled games that it hasn't clicked with me yet.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 am

What a fantastic collection!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:50 am

Took some photos of my collection. Apologies for the number of photos! :oops:

Last edited by Morkin on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:59 am

Yeah, you got me beat on the collectors editions :lol: Did Terraria come on a cart for the Japanese release? And was that a Soduku Vita game with the Slots Vita game? That reminds me, I need to pick up the Mah Jong Vita game.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:11 pm

:D

Yep, Terraria is on a cart & that other game is Nikoli no Sudoku V: Shugyoku No 12 Puzzle.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Cool, thanks. I'll be sure to keep a look out for those in the future. As I'm only short a handful of Euro games now I'll be focusing on them this month. Unfortunately two of them are Fifa games :roll:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:01 pm

I don't even own a Vita but can I just say that that is a beautiful collection Morkin :) . Looking at the kind of available games, the system looks right up my street but I currently can't justify another platform to buy for/game on.

Great pictures though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.