Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:46 am

alistair_thomas wrote:I've been working my way through Uncharted recently, and I love the gyroscope aiming. It's more of a novelty than a 'serious' control method, but I actually far prefer it to using the analogue sticks.

I've also played a bit more COD online. Such a missed opportunity this - when it works, it's pretty damn good (if you like shooters), however, when it doesn't work, it's awful. One thing I believe all handheld FPS games should have is bots. Metroid Prime Hunters had them, Medal of Honor Heroes on PSP had them - even the PSP Battlefront games had them!
I thought the gyro Uncharted was an excellent addition, more for precision than anything - I'd line up my shot with the right stick and then perfect it with the gyro aiming. Worked perfectly throughout the game and I'd love other games on the system to utilise it as well (I think Resistance may have used it for Sniping?)

I couldn't stand COD (and I usually enjoy anything on the Vita). The single player was just awful, the quick action maps got boring as soon as you worked out where to hide and the single player "story" was abysmal. Multiplayer never worked for me because it thinks my NAT type is wrong (despite everything else in my house working perfectly, and that this problem was prevalent in Resistance until it was patched some months before COD was released!).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 pm

So - Black Rock Shooter PSP is headed to the US & UK stores.

YAY!

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Rayne wrote:So - Black Rock Shooter PSP is headed to the US & UK stores.

YAY!
What type of game is it? Saw some screenshots, is it a normal shooter or RPG?
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 am

Haven't payed any attention to Guacamelee, but IGN have recently put up their review & they really like it.
Guacamelee isn’t only pretty to look at, it’s also a hell of a lot of fun to play. Its Metroidvania inspiration is undoubtedly strong, and yet it does so much to help it stand apart, not the least of which by providing gamers with a deceivingly deep combat system and a two-world polarity system that simply makes the experience more dynamic.

Sure, Guacamelee may be short – too short, in fact – but this gripe is, in the end, a compliment to its quality. It left me wanting more. Guacamelee is one of Vita’s best games, a top echelon PSN game for PS3, and DrinkBox Studios’ best effort to date. More, please.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/08/guacamelee-review

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 am

My copy of Dead or Alive + arrived at my local Gamecentre today so I've picked it up this morning, I also picked up a lone copy of Dynasty Warriors Next for £14.99 new which I thought was a decent price.

Look forward to giving them both a try later on tonight :D

Out of interest - anyone know where I can get a cheap(ish) memory card for my Vita? I have a 4GB right now and that's only enough for 1 game, I'd love to be able to take a few PS1 titles and a couple of my PS+ games on the go.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 pm

DW Next is a decent game, I was really impressed that the port runs so nice seeing as the PSP versions are fairly ropey. It feels pretty much like a pocket version of DW7 with lots of content.
Morkin wrote:Haven't payed any attention to Guacamelee, but IGN have recently put up their review & they really like it.
Guacamelee isn’t only pretty to look at, it’s also a hell of a lot of fun to play. Its Metroidvania inspiration is undoubtedly strong, and yet it does so much to help it stand apart, not the least of which by providing gamers with a deceivingly deep combat system and a two-world polarity system that simply makes the experience more dynamic.

Sure, Guacamelee may be short – too short, in fact – but this gripe is, in the end, a compliment to its quality. It left me wanting more. Guacamelee is one of Vita’s best games, a top echelon PSN game for PS3, and DrinkBox Studios’ best effort to date. More, please.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/08/guacamelee-review
Can't wait for this game, it looks great from what I've seen of it and I'll be downloading it as soon as it goes up on the PSN store :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 pm

That Guacamelee game looks interesting indeed, will have to get it once it comes out!
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Thank goodness the latest firmware available tomorrow will add some good, much needed features to the Vita, most importantly the ability to create folders, I don't know about anyone else, but I have got seven pages to navigate through now, folders will cut that down greatly.

Also videos can now be played in the browser, though not flash ones.

And the ability to mute the speakers and pause music when headsets are unplugged has been added.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 am

Rayne wrote:
Out of interest - anyone know where I can get a cheap(ish) memory card for my Vita? I have a 4GB right now and that's only enough for 1 game, I'd love to be able to take a few PS1 titles and a couple of my PS+ games on the go.
Have a look in Asda. Can't remember the exact pricing but they looked pretty cheap when I was browsing at the weekend.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:40 am

adippm82 wrote:Thank goodness the latest firmware available tomorrow will add some good, much needed features to the Vita, most importantly the ability to create folders, I don't know about anyone else, but I have got seven pages to navigate through now, folders will cut that down greatly.

Also videos can now be played in the browser, though not flash ones.

And the ability to mute the speakers and pause music when headsets are unplugged has been added.
I'm just annoyed that the cap for game bubbles on the Vita is still 100. With all the stuff I've picked up for it (as well as a few more I'll be getting soon) I could actually see myself exceeding the 100 limit sooner rather than later!

Anyway, I'm back to playing EDF 3 and its really does suit the platform down to the ground. Perfect for the odd few minutes here and there when I want to blast through the odd level. I'm still nowhere near close to finishing the game either.
I also picked up Rocketbirds off the PSN store and I'm quite liking that so far as well. Looks really nice and seems like a pretty fun run and gun shooter thus far. Its a bit jerky though which is probably my only complaint so far.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:00 am

Tearaway has been given a release date of 25 October.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/04/ ... evealed-2/

On the same day, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate gets released.
Blackgate, a 2.5D Metroid-style game, takes place after the events of Arkham Origins and is in development at Armature Studio, the company founded by several of the people behind the Metroid Prime Trilogy at Retro.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... d-xbox-360
And Muramasa gets a release date in the US.

Muramasa Rebirth, the Vita remake of Odin Sphere developer Vanillaware's 2010 Wii hit Muramasa: The Demon Blade, has been dated for a 25th June release in North America, publisher Aksys Games has announced.

Unfortunately, no European release has been confirmed.

This enhanced version of Muramasa will have four DLC add-ons, each containing new scenarios and playable characters. It will also feature a new translation and reconfigured controls so you can hit a button to jump, unlike the Wii version where you had to press up ala Smash Bros.

Aksys also announced a special edition of Muramasa Rebirth - pictured below - that comes with a custom face cover and skin by Hori, as well as a Muramasa-themed pouch and a framed lithograph designed by the game's creator and lead designer George Kamitani.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... th-america

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:38 am

Terraway I can't wait for. I like the graphics style and ideas behind the game so I'd be surprised if its not my Vita game of the year (much like Gravity Rush last year). Batman might be good, not sure yet as I'm also pretty much expecting it to be a 3DS port (I'd love to be wrong). Not sure if I'd get it on 3DS or Vita as both have there pros and cons.
I'm just hoping to see Muramasa get a Euro release date now (mainly just for the ease of using the DLC) else I'll just grab the DLC for my Japanese copy when it arrives soon. Speaking of which, Soul Sacrifice is out at the end of the month/start of May, anyone else planning to get it? It looks like a nice boss rush style game somewhat similar to Monster Hunter, exexpt they've cut out the exploration (so just the boss battle, no walking around other small areas) and hopefully the controls/camera will be more user friendly compared to MH.

Gunotak

Post by Gunotak » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 am

Some screenshots for Batman (Ps Vita and 3DS)

More screens :

http://www.jeuxcapt.com/Batman-Arkham-O ... 16719.html

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Can't wait to get Batman. Between that, Guacamelee and Castlevania for the 3DS I'll have several great Metroidvania games to play this year :mrgreen:

Guacamelee is great fun so far btw. It looks and runs great on the Vita and so far I'm really liking the combat in the game (simple yet you have several useful moves at your disposal already to make combat fun, and that looks only to improve as you play more). Plus there is a lot of exploration and items to pick up, in many ways in performance, action and exploration I'd be tempted to say its better than the recent 3DS Castlevania game, if it keeps up the pace throughout the game that is...

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:56 am

OK guys, I'm having a brain freeze moment & need some help! :oops:

I just remembered that now I have PS+ I can upload my Vita saves to online storage. I've just done these steps:

Settings>Playstation Network>Automatic Update Settings>Update Automatically

Now, is that all I have to do? Each time I play a game & save data to the memory card, will that now automatically upload at a set time during the day? And will I know when it's done it?

After playing a game I always power off & never leave it in standby, so when I first turn it on, does it do the upload then?