Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:36 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz for only £13.85 on shopto at the mo -
http://www.shopto.net/psp/PSPVSU01-supe ... ll-ps-vita
Thanks for the heads up on that, I've enjoyed past Monkey Ball games and this is the cheapest I've seen it so far...

I'm not sure if/when its getting a release date over here but Dokuro is well worth picking up on import. I've been playing it all day and some of the puzzles are pretty fiendish (especially if your aiming to get the coins as well). It reminds me of a weird mix of Ico and Exit with a really nice graphics style (that looks great on the Vita's screen).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks. I noticed the offer listed on HotUKDeals so thought you Vita owners may appreciate the heads-up.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:29 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz for only £13.85 on shopto at the mo -
Cheers for that, I had it on pre-order with Zavvi for a quid more, but Shopto are bound to get this guaranteed for launch day or sooner.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Noticed that last night on Shopto's site, changed my order, then promptly forgot about mentioning it here, so thanks for posting that. :D

ShadowMan wrote:
I'm not sure if/when its getting a release date over here but Dokuro is well worth picking up on import. I've been playing it all day and some of the puzzles are pretty fiendish (especially if your aiming to get the coins as well). It reminds me of a weird mix of Ico and Exit with a really nice graphics style (that looks great on the Vita's screen).
It should be getting a Euro PSN release in the near future I think & I agree that it looks lovely on the Vita screen.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:02 am

Bad news for Jet Set Radio, its been delayed:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/10/16/ ... o-delayed/

I'm gutted, I wanted a portable version of JSR for my Vita and from what I'd seen of the game up to this point it looked great so I wonder what problems they are having with the game? I hope it gets released eventually but I've got a bad feeling that this may be quietly cancelled :(
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:00 am

Oh, that's a shame. :( Fingers crossed it eventually gets released.

My copy of Virtua Tennis arrived a few days ago which I'm looking forward to trying out soon.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:04 pm

A Super Monkey Ball demo is up for those interested. My personal opinion, I don't like it and have cancelled my preorder. After playing the demo I've got more chance of smashing my Vita than I do actually managing to complete the full game! I've not played a Monkey Ball game in a while but the controls just feel off. Less like controlling a Monkey in a ball and more like controlling a brick, it feels really slow and cumbersome moving the character, going round corners etc. and as the advanced levels require you to make quick maneuvers it quickly becomes stupidly difficult in my opinion. Its a shame as technically the game is otherwise impressive - the graphics are very colourful and vivid, gameplay wise its all very smooth frame rate wise and from the demo it looks as though there will be plenty of mini games to play. Sega should really just delay this to fix the controls, release Jet Set Radio instead :wink:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:14 pm

And on the brighter side I'm liking the Sony Smash Bros game more than I expected to. I gave the Beta a shot and its actually a really fun little fighter, quite simple like Smash Bros but that's not exactly a bad thing. Kratos seems like a cool character and is easy to pick up and play, Sly Cooper also seems fairly cool but tougher to use. I'm still getting used to the 3 attack buttons (light, strong and special moves buttons respectively), I've always been used to Smash Bros having two buttons so this is taking a little bit of getting used to. The online side of things seems good as well, very smooth when it works. I have encountered the odd bout of lag (could have been my connection, my wifi signal isn't great at times) and I did notice some people are literally invisible in some matches (glitch with the Beta perhaps?), Still, I like what I've played so I'll end up getting the game since its free when purchasing the PS3 version, I can see it being a great portable game.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 pm

ShadowMan wrote:A Super Monkey Ball demo is up for those interested. My personal opinion, I don't like it and have cancelled my preorder. After playing the demo I've got more chance of smashing my Vita than I do actually managing to complete the full game! I've not played a Monkey Ball game in a while but the controls just feel off. Less like controlling a Monkey in a ball and more like controlling a brick, it feels really slow and cumbersome moving the character, going round corners etc. and as the advanced levels require you to make quick maneuvers it quickly becomes stupidly difficult in my opinion. Its a shame as technically the game is otherwise impressive - the graphics are very colourful and vivid, gameplay wise its all very smooth frame rate wise and from the demo it looks as though there will be plenty of mini games to play. Sega should really just delay this to fix the controls, release Jet Set Radio instead :wink:
Gave this a go myself this evening, first I tried the game with the motion controls and IMO, they are a complete disaster, I could barely stay on the courses let alone navigate them, so I switched to left stick control, it is a lot better, but as you say the control is just off, I could at least complete some of the courses, but realised that I was making a choice, either collect the bananas or complete the course in one go, collecting a banana and then trying to avoid a gap in the scenery and plummeting to an inevitable death, or steering the very twitchy on-off nature of the controls down the course to the finish, and not collecting anything, try to climb a bank to get a banana, and risk flying over the top, or collect it and quickly try to make it back down, and almost certainly miss the next one.

Like you I tried the advance courses, but had to turn the game off after a short while before some harm came to the console, hurtling down a steep slope avoiding obstacles and moving bridges, with no real hope of slowing down, with the minutest of touches on the controls nearly causing a crash at every turn, and the mearest touch on one of the obstacles sends you flying right off the nearest edge, really not my idea of fun, I will give it a few more goes before deciding whether to cancel or not, but am firmly on that side of the fence at the moment.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:09 am

adippm82 wrote:Like you I tried the advance courses, but had to turn the game off after a short while before some harm came to the console, hurtling down a steep slope avoiding obstacles and moving bridges, with no real hope of slowing down, with the minutest of touches on the controls nearly causing a crash at every turn, and the mearest touch on one of the obstacles sends you flying right off the nearest edge, really not my idea of fun, I will give it a few more goes before deciding whether to cancel or not, but am firmly on that side of the fence at the moment.
Yep, I found the exact same problems on the advanced courses. You can slow down slightly by holding back on the analogue stick, it reduces your speed a little making it slightly easier to manuver round obstacles, and also reduces the recoil should you crash into something meaning you might not always fall off! Problem is, the second advanced course is set up that you are unable to slowdown (you'll die) which just killed it for me. Assuming the game gets even harder after that I just don't see it worth my time picking up the game, only to end up hating it and getting nowhere on it :( A shame really but I've got plenty of Vita games so I won't really miss it.

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Anybody any idea whats happening with Castlevania SOTN? I thought it was meant to be released this week on psn.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 am

I downloaded the Super Monkey Ball demo last night & gave it a spin & I don't really know what to think. I tried the gyro controls which didn't work for me at all whereas the left stick option was ok. I then tried the advance courses. Yikes. :? I was going to cancel my preorder this morning but then I read the Pocketgamer review & now I'm not so sure.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/ ... sp?c=45104

tmc

Post by tmc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:30 am

Got the Monkeyball demo, again, not too impressed, controls still seem a bit off but to be honest I havn't given it enough play time.

Got WRC3 pre-ordered off grainger games for £25, it's looking good but it does enoy me how little vita footage is released so close to realease date for multi-format games, need for speed is another example - and it's not because these two games look bad, they actually look great! Do they not want to sell their games! It leaves me on a vita you tube hunt every few days!

Got back into pure chess, they are offering a free chess set dlc 'battalion' and have an update which alows you to set your own camera angle, turn off highlighted squares and best of all, challenge anyone from the leader boards to 'chess by mail' instead of only friends lists, it actually works very well and is worth a look for anyone who has uninstalled this game.

Still throwing myself around the three ridge racer tracks! It's just a shame you can't level up with time trial laps because thats where I have the most fun trying to beat my own ghosts.

Still loving pinball arcade.

F1 2011, please, can anyone get around the hairpin at normal race speed on Monaco with manual gears and not hit the barrier on the exit? I love time trail laps on this game also and it's fine for the wide tracks but I think the handling isn't twitchy enough leaving it wanting on narrow tracks, or it might just be me? i've tried the car settings but i'm lost - any help?

Other games I'm looking to pick up for chirstmas are assassins creed, need for speed, DJ max technika (import), street fighter x tekken.

On my radar - COD, All stars, little big planet

Getting next month - retro city rampage (if released), silent hill PSX, some ridge racer dlc!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:41 am

tmc wrote:Got WRC3 pre-ordered off grainger games for £25, it's looking good but it does enoy me how little vita footage is released so close to realease date for multi-format games, need for speed is another example - and it's not because these two games look bad, they actually look great! Do they not want to sell their games! It leaves me on a vita you tube hunt every few days!
I'm really interested in WRC3, not getting it at launch as I'll wait to hear what the port is like from other players but if its good then I'll grab it. Haven't played a proper rally game in a while... NFS looks great on the Vita from what I've seen, I've got it preordered as I can see it being another great pick up and play game for a few minutes at a time.
Still throwing myself around the three ridge racer tracks! It's just a shame you can't level up with time trial laps because thats where I have the most fun trying to beat my own ghosts.
I grabbed some DLC on RR recently. I got 3 more tracks free and then picked up another couple as I really started enjoying the game, spent 2 days straight playing it and really getting into all the modes. Its not perfect by any means but its much better than I first gave it credit for. The online mode especially was fun when I got a lobby full of people of similar skill :mrgreen:
Other games I'm looking to pick up for chirstmas are assassins creed, need for speed, DJ max technika (import), street fighter x tekken.
I’m getting SFxT this week, I didn’t enjoy the game as much as I thought I would but I think it might work as a portable fighter, I’m at least willing to give it a try. Assassins Creed looks awesome, another day 1 buy!

DJ Max I really want but don’t want to really pay more than £35 to import it, not had any luck on getting it that cheap yet.

Playstation All Star Battle is actually more fun than I thought it would be. I’ve been playing the online beta over the weekend and I’m liking it. Easy to pick up and play so I can just dive into it for a few minutes at a time, another good portable game I think. It does have one really annoying glitch where opponents completely disappear from my screen (they are not quitting though) but that happens on both the PS3 and Vita betas so I’m guessing its just something that needs to be ironed out with the netcode before release.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:40 am

Morkin wrote:I downloaded the Super Monkey Ball demo last night & gave it a spin & I don't really know what to think. I tried the gyro controls which didn't work for me at all whereas the left stick option was ok. I then tried the advance courses. Yikes. :? I was going to cancel my preorder this morning but then I read the Pocketgamer review & now I'm not so sure.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/ ... sp?c=45104
This is why I only use reviews as a basic guide, there is plenty of talk in it of the new AR and camera features, the reviewer talks about the new modes, and the themed worlds, but precious little on how the game actually plays, except to mention the motion controls are no good, and neither is the camera, and how the difficulty has been ramped up since the 3DS game, which apparently is a good thing, not in my book, frustration sets in very quickly when a game like this gets overly difficult, he does mention the awkward menu system, which did not bother me much at all.

There is no talk on how the bananas seem strangely resistant to being collected some of the time, by that I mean I would often find myself going up a slope to collect one, only to miss it by a whisker, as I inexplicably ducked down at the last second, usually plummeting off the edge in the process. I certainly would not describe the game as a great one from what I have played.

I have also been playing Resistance Burning Skies, good grief it looks terrible to my eyes, really not much of an improvement over PSP graphics, also the game is really just run from one area to another clear out some aliens, and repeat, with the occasional boss fight thrown in, I collected the easiest silver trophy ever, just shoot some big brute in the arm until he explodes, did not get hit once! thank God I only paid £15 using a token in Blockbuster, and the same team is doing the new Call of Duty game...oh dear!

Also got Unit 13 in the same store for only £14.99, quite enjoying this, although it is only playing through some unrelated levels for points, really quite good though for the price.