Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

greenberet79

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:59 am

Is the Vita struggling? Or is it just negative media hype? I'd always planned on getting one this November when my phone contract runs out and I'll get one as part of the package. Not sure what to do now if the price doesn't drop before then...
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:45 am

greenberet79 wrote:Is the Vita struggling? Or is it just negative media hype? I'd always planned on getting one this November when my phone contract runs out and I'll get one as part of the package. Not sure what to do now if the price doesn't drop before then...
Kind of. Sales aren't spectacular and Sony made a real mess of not hyping and showcasing the upcoming games in their E3 presentation. Its suffering from a similar problem to the 3DS last year with weeks going by without a new release. If Sony could get more good new games released for the platform it would be in better shape.

Personally I can't put mine down. I've been using it non stop since I picked it up a few months back. Its got a fairly good catalogue of games (though many are ports, I find the ability to take stuff like MVC3, Ninja Gaiden, Rayman Origins on the go with me a huge plus). The controls are a huge plus compared to other handhelds - the twin stick setup just feels right, and the d pad is without a doubt the best for fighters for any handheld in my opinion.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:12 am

I've been playing around on Gravity Rush for a couple of hours. Its really good so far, nice and different from pretty much anything else I've played recently. The gravity powers are great fun to play around with once the linear tutorial levels are done with and I've spent most of the time so far just hunting collectables to make my gravity powers stronger. I'll have to give it more time to see how the game pans out but so far I'm impressed.

I also picked up Mutant Blobs as it was on sale and its really good as well. Kind of reminds me of a mix between Katamari and Loco Roco which is no bad thing. Between stuff like this, Escape Plan, Stardust and Motorstorm Sony has a fairly decent starting lineup of cheaper DL games. Hopefully they'll release more of the same quality as the year goes on, I know JSR is just around the corner and I already can't wait to play that through again.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Other than some pretty poor controls (why in 2012 are we still not able to configure buttons in ALL games??) Gravity Rush is absolutely fantastic! Am about half way through...playing in spells while I let my button mashing hand rest from Lollypop Chainsaw :D

Only thing that has had me blowing the dust of the VITA since getting the platinum trophy on Motorstorm RC though.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:02 am

Loftgroover wrote:Other than some pretty poor controls (why in 2012 are we still not able to configure buttons in ALL games??) Gravity Rush is absolutely fantastic! Am about half way through...playing in spells while I let my button mashing hand rest from Lollypop Chainsaw :D

Only thing that has had me blowing the dust of the VITA since getting the platinum trophy on Motorstorm RC though.
The controls that are really doing my head in are the gravity surf/slide ability. Using the touchscreen and gyro as the only way to control it seems like it was a mistake, its horribly unresponsive compared to the rest of the game. Thankfully it seems like its only really needed for races but that'll make gold ranking all the side missions really hard :( Other than that, I really like the game. Its something fun and different.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 am

just downloaded Gravity Rush. Absolutely love the vita, it's got a fantastic range of great games on it at the moment. Especially when you consider how young it still is.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:54 am

Downloadable content for Wipeout will be available today - its the HD and Fury tracks from the PS3 version, best of all its free if you already own the PS3 versions :mrgreen: I'll be grabbing them when I get home tonight.

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Ive just got another vita as the last one i had i sold as i needed the cash. I am finding myself in the same predicament as last time with the vita ie i have uncharted (which i completed last time) and escape plan and motorstorm rc. But im struggling finding anything else that takes my fancy at the moment

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Montytom wrote:Ive just got another vita as the last one i had i sold as i needed the cash. I am finding myself in the same predicament as last time with the vita ie i have uncharted (which i completed last time) and escape plan and motorstorm rc. But im struggling finding anything else that takes my fancy at the moment
That's unfortunate, there's all sorts of great games on it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Persona 4 is out in japan which has boosted sales a touch and should help.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Bit of a bump. :P

Everybody's Golf is currently £9.85 at Shopto which is an absolute bargain. :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 am

Sony announce a bunch of Vita stuff at Gamescom this week.

This was the highlight for me so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6_QvdxyXQ

Its a brand new Vita exclusive game called Tearaway. It looks really cool, I realy like the unique graphical style and the puzzles. Its nice to see that Sony have not abandoned the Vita just yet!

They also announced a couple of other bits:
Playstation games will be playable on the Vita from the end of this month.
Purchasing the new Ratchet and Clank, Sly Raccoon or the Playstation allstars fighter on PS3 will give you the Vita version for free. A good move by Sony in my opinion, I was on the fence with them on which version to get and now I'll be able to get both without having to buy both separately. It'll be interesting to see what other games will have this feature in the future.
(source: http://uk.gamespot.com/events/gamescom- ... id=6391484)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 pm

I'm staying put for the moment. when it was first announced I thought it looked great, but the (relative) lack of games and high starting price are holding me back (I suspect a lot of gamers are thinking the same).

A decent price cut and a good autumn of releases and I'll move closer to buying one.

(I still think the original PSP was very underated - had a lot of fun out of mine)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Haven't bought anything for my Vita in a couple of months. Why I buy handhelds I'll never know. Everybody's Golf is an absolute steal for £9.99 though!

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 am

I love my Vita, haven't touched my 3DS since I bought it - although that might change when the likes of Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion start coming out. Looking forward to playing Final Fantasy VII on the console, along with LittleBigPlanet Vita when that comes out next month.