Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroAerosmith

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Ive had my vita over 2yrs now and have bought zero physical games for it. Ive downloaded them all whatever ive played. either the sales or ps+ is all ive used. Plus you cant argue with the cross buy choices that are superb value for money.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:13 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:Ive had my vita over 2yrs now and have bought zero physical games for it. Ive downloaded them all whatever ive played. either the sales or ps+ is all ive used. Plus you cant argue with the cross buy choices that are superb value for money.
Cross buy rocks. Makes it easier for me to jump in on a Vita port if it also has a PS4 port, just in case the Vita port is really bad. Conversely if I really enjoy a PS4 port, but feel its more suited to a handheld... Its a really great option. And while I collect physical games, its hard not to love how convenient digital is, having all your games available at your finger tips without needing to change cartridges.

Meanwhile, I've gone back to finish Nihilumbra. I had it on release and quickly got frustrated at the Void mode difficulty wise and puzzle wise. With the help of a guide I've cleared the first of five worlds now. Its a decent mode, and I'm getting better at the puzzles but there are still a few cheap deaths here. Its good, but not the best platformer by any stretch.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:55 am

I've been having a great time with my Vita recently. Finally managed to finish Bastion off 100% (the score attack trophy was somehow easier to get than I thought, though I think I lucked out on it?). I've been giving a couple of my new arrivals a try - Deemo is a great rhythm action game with a nice soundtrack and Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires once again takes the DW combat and adds a small hint of strategy to the game to make things feel more fleshed out.

But 99% of my time continues to be on Darius Burst. Half because of the amount of content in the game, and half because its just so damn good. I'm having such a fun time playing the different modes and trying to learn the different boss patterns... I destroyed a huge Whale ship yesterday night that was a right pain in the ass to fight! Its a game I strongly recommend shooter fans look into getting, its digital only in Europe (not the best price on the EU store either) but got a limited physical release in Japan (that's the version I got). Definitely one of the best purchases I made in a while.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:05 am

I do wish they'd explain the trophies a little better in that Darius game!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:40 am

I see 2K have ported XCOM to the Vita. If I hadn't already played that to death on PC, I would totally buy it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:I do wish they'd explain the trophies a little better in that Darius game!
Once I've done a playthrough on all the routes and done all the missions I'll look up a guide. Some are down to defeating bosses, some on doing some pretty tough goals (score, don't die, don't get hit :shock: ) but there were a couple in there that definitely weren't clear.
theantmeister wrote:I see 2K have ported XCOM to the Vita. If I hadn't already played that to death on PC, I would totally buy it.

It looks like a good port. I'm in a difficult position on that game, as I want to wait a bit longer to see if any kind of physical release appears before going ahead and grabbing the digital download. But I definitely want to get it, not sure how long I can hold out before I crack!

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Disney Infinity 2.0 for £12 for those brave enough to go down that rabbit hole.
http://www.go2games.com/disney-infinity ... ck-ps-vita

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 16, 2016 3:46 am

Soldner X2 and Rainbow Moon getting a limited physical release:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... run-games/

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon May 16, 2016 4:05 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Soldner X2 and Rainbow Moon getting a limited physical release:

Cannot wait to get Soldner X2. Its such a great port that I feel compelled to buy it again for that reason alone. Plus it compiles the main game and DLC onto the cart so that's another good reason to get it!

Had some free time over the weekend, took an updated picture of my Vita shelving:

I can't see me adding any more limited editions to my collection unless a game I really want has a decent limited edition, I'm good with just the game (makes it 100 times easier to store them on my shelves!). Otherwise, I'm sitting at around 240 games now, with plenty left to get - I'm now way more cautious ordering games from Japan until I know for sure that they aren't getting English releases, as over the last year or so we've gotten a decent amount of games translated either via official Euro/American releases or Asian English releases.

Also, a close up of my latest Limuted Run game:

Oddworld New and Tasty - Its a Limited Run game so they only released a couple of thousand copies on the Vita. Really looking forward to playing it once I'm done with Velocity 2X.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 16, 2016 4:38 am

I agree, another retail shooter is always welcome. Stirling collection that's grown hugely since I was last on here. Did you pick up Darius burst? The LE is beautiful.
ShadowMan wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Soldner X2 and Rainbow Moon getting a limited physical release:

Cannot wait to get Soldner X2. Its such a great port that I feel compelled to buy it again for that reason alone. Plus it compiles the main game and DLC onto the cart so that's another good reason to get it!

Had some free time over the weekend, took an updated picture of my Vita shelving:

I can't see me adding any more limited editions to my collection unless a game I really want has a decent limited edition, I'm good with just the game (makes it 100 times easier to store them on my shelves!). Otherwise, I'm sitting at around 240 games now, with plenty left to get - I'm now way more cautious ordering games from Japan until I know for sure that they aren't getting English releases, as over the last year or so we've gotten a decent amount of games translated either via official Euro/American releases or Asian English releases.

Also, a close up of my latest Limuted Run game:

Oddworld New and Tasty - Its a Limited Run game so they only released a couple of thousand copies on the Vita. Really looking forward to playing it once I'm done with Velocity 2X.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon May 16, 2016 7:28 am

gmintyfresh wrote:I agree, another retail shooter is always welcome. Stirling collection that's grown hugely since I was last on here. Did you pick up Darius burst? The LE is beautiful.
Yeah, I got the limited edition version of Darius. Its one of the only LE's I've picked up that I feel is actually worth the money. The soundtrack is ace and the artbook is excellent since it covers most/all? past Darius titles.

The game itself is so damn good as well, I'm slowly working through mission mode. The boss fights are so much fun, I've found a ship that lets me pull off the counter move easily to deal decent damage to bosses so I'm no longer having serious problems against some bosses (the whale bosses still kick my ass though).

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue May 17, 2016 1:28 am

I agree completely, lovely set and puts many full console releases to shame. So much game to play and so much fun, the only thing that's missing is an option to play the sublime psp version! Great game though and I hope #taito dip more into their shooter archives.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue May 17, 2016 6:15 am

I'd definitely not be against Taito releasing more of their games on the Vita if they are the quality of Burst :mrgreen:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:56 am

God damnit. £35 for Superbeat Xonic LE and the grand edition of Grand Kingdom has gotten me back into the Vita.
Time to start buying some (not all) of my old games again.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:14 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:God damnit. £35 for Superbeat Xonic LE and the grand edition of Grand Kingdom has gotten me back into the Vita.
Time to start buying some (not all) of my old games again.
I can give you a few recommendations depending on the genre:wink: Bar the recent (latest releases from the last two weeks) I've got a complete Euro/USA collection plus a load of Japanese imports). Plus I've probably got just as many digital titles. For whatever reason the Vita is all I'm interested in gaming wise, bar my Capcom Collection at the moment. I put tons of hours into playing through my Vita collection, last month I managed to complete Odin Sphere and Ray Gigant among others...

Since I've not updated this thread in a while, here are some of my recent purchases:

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 and two rhythm action games (don't let the covers fool you, the music games are actually a lot of fun to play).

Uppers. Its like a 3D version of Streets of Rage but far wackier. Not the best brawler out there but it has its moments.

Xeo Drfiter, one of the most recent Limited Run releases.

Skull Girls and Airship Q, both of which are fully in English.

Ray Gigant and the second X Blaze game. Ray Gigant only got a physical release in Japan, one of the few times (Having also played the game in English) I will say playing it in a different language might enhance your experience. As the game is dead simple to play, and you have the advantage of not listening to the characters whining all through the game...

Another recent Limuted Run game and a personal favourite of mine - Octodad.

And the first four Limited Run releases all together for a group shot. I've started Oddworld this week which (bar the glitches still present from the digital release) is brilliant fun. Breach and Clear (the first of the four) goes for crazy prices on eBay these days. The latest release from Limited Run - Soldner X2 also seemed to sell out incredibly quickly. Really glad I managed to snag myself a copy, as its my most anticipated release so far.