Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

alistair_thomas

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by alistair_thomas » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Earlier in the year I bought Final Fantasy X and Tales of Hearts R. I'm not really big on rpgs but fancied something a bit different to my usual tastes. The question is, which do I start first? I'm leaning towards Final Fantasy X, then ToHR, then X2. Thoughts?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:12 pm

So I finally got round to trying Soldner X2 on the Vita today. To say I'm impressed is an understatement! It looks amazing and runs at a silky smooth 60FPS no matter what is happening on screen. I'm pleased that the developers put the effort into porting the game properly to the Vita as its a joy to play. The gameplay is also top notch, its a side on shooter with the usual weapon upgrades and big bosses. The difficulty seems well paced so far, there are plenty of bullets on screen but it still feels far less insane than your average Japanese shoot em up from Cave. The music is also incredibly good as well. All round its a brilliant game, one that I look forward to playing a lot!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:38 pm

Yep. I'm a fan of it for sure. It was one of my fave PS3 games. The only let down is a lack of co-op play.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:56 pm

alistair_thomas wrote:Earlier in the year I bought Final Fantasy X and Tales of Hearts R. I'm not really big on rpgs but fancied something a bit different to my usual tastes. The question is, which do I start first? I'm leaning towards Final Fantasy X, then ToHR, then X2. Thoughts?
All excellent games. I'd play them in the order you've listed.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Not sure if mentioned before but I recently platinumed Resistance. That was better than I expected. Not amazing but fun enough.

Currently playing through Tennis in the Face which is okay but basically a mobile game.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:58 pm

I've just been playing Tennis in the Face as well. Bought it for something like 33p & it's an okay distraction for that money.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Sony have recently reduced the price of the Playstation TV to £44.99 - so being a collector I grabbed one.

Anyone else got one? Even though the compatibility list isn't that great, the Vita games that do run from Playstation TV are excellent. I tried FIFA 13, WRC 3 and Killzone Mercenary and they all looked and played brilliantly on my 42" Sony Bravia. You can use the PS3 or PS4 controller and both have a touch pointer feature which allows you to perform touch operations. Your Vita memory card is also compatible, so you can always continue at your last save regardless of what platform you were last using (although there is a 30 second delay each time so the hardware can 'rebuild the database').

The PSP games looked very dated on the big screen (I tested Star Wars Battlefront II and Killzone Liberation), but the PS1 games looked surprisingly good (I tested Crash Team Racing and Spyro the Dragon).

On the whole, it's definitely not an essential purchase but I'm really glad I've got one!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:14 pm

I've got a PS TV (limited edition Yakuza 0 model) but apart from taking it out of the box to see how large the main PS TV unit is I've not actually tried it yet. Mainly down to the compatibility, if all my games worked I'd be interested. Instead I just use my Vita's for all my Vita needs!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:28 pm

I nearly caved and bought one on sale at $60.00 with a Dualshock, 8 Gig card and LEGO the Movie.

When I stopped and thought it through though, I realized I really didn't need one. I don't plan on streaming gameplay and most of my fave Vita titles are non-compatible.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:17 pm

For those of you who don't know, much like on the PS4, retro city rampage is getting a very limited run cart release, and Sony giving it an official number, meaning the collectors will want to grab this to have the complete set

http://www.fangamer.com/products/retro- ... or-ps-vita

I got the ps4 version, and I have preordered this, I'm not a collector, but having the rarest ps4 game seemed great and the same with the ps vita version, plus the box art rules.

Anyone else grabbing it?

Also, I'm very tempted with the PSVita tv but know I will hardly use it....

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:42 pm

HisNHer_LP wrote:For those of you who don't know, much like on the PS4, retro city rampage is getting a very limited run cart release, and Sony giving it an official number, meaning the collectors will want to grab this to have the complete set

http://www.fangamer.com/products/retro- ... or-ps-vita

I got the ps4 version, and I have preordered this, I'm not a collector, but having the rarest ps4 game seemed great and the same with the ps vita version, plus the box art rules.

Anyone else grabbing it?

Also, I'm very tempted with the PSVita tv but know I will hardly use it....
I've already got it preordered. I enjoyed the main game and getting a physical edition seemed like a great deal. I just think its nice that indie games like this can get limited physical print runs. I dream of a point where Shovel Knight or Mighty Number 9 gets the same treatment!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Yesterday I bought Call Of Duty Black Ops Declassified and its really weird because due to the bashing it received I lowered my expectations almost to the point where I questioned why I'd ordered it (infact the only reason I did was because I recently picked up Black Ops 2 and I saw the vita version had its own take on the Nuketown map)

Because of not expecting much I'm very nicely suprised. The multiplayer is way better than I'd hoped and the survival mode is perfect for quick blasts.

Not a patch on the full on console versions obviously but its better than not playing Call Of Duty. Plus I can play this without the wife moaning that I'm hogging the telly when Junior has gone to bed.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:18 pm

STranger81 wrote:Yesterday I bought Call Of Duty Black Ops Declassified and its really weird because due to the bashing it received I lowered my expectations almost to the point where I questioned why I'd ordered it (infact the only reason I did was because I recently picked up Black Ops 2 and I saw the vita version had its own take on the Nuketown map)

Because of not expecting much I'm very nicely suprised. The multiplayer is way better than I'd hoped and the survival mode is perfect for quick blasts.

Not a patch on the full on console versions obviously but its better than not playing Call Of Duty. Plus I can play this without the wife moaning that I'm hogging the telly when Junior has gone to bed.
I owned the game and sold it soon after back on release. As part of my collecting I picked it up again fairly recently and enjoyed it far more, like you I had zero expectations at that stage. Its a fairly limited game unfortunately, with just more care and a longer dev time (I believe the game was rushed for an Xmas release) it could have been far better. Still a decent little FPS game, though I still recommend Killzone more if you want a FPS game for the platform (and its free as part of PS+ this week!)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Yeah Killzone is a really good game. Picked it up over Christmas after seeing some reviews and I was hugely impressed. My only gripe is that a lot of the guns seem very similar. But a very strong multiplayer and I think the playing card thing is a nice touch.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:02 pm

I've started playing Metrico. It's not bad. Typically arty indie puzzle platformer. Quite clever though.