Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Bluce_Ree

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 am

I've been after DJ Max Technika but ebay wants like 50 quid for it.

Are there any import shops online that don't want to bum my face clean off?

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Ok, i've put aside about £150 for a good couple of rpg's. Could someone helpfully recommend me some accessible rpg's with a decent playtime (no 100hr nonsense). Not really into pre-adolescent childish rpgs, but that may have cut the result by about 3/4, hehe.

However, if the story is of an adult nature then I'd happily take a shot. :P

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I've been after DJ Max Technika but ebay wants like 50 quid for it.

Not sure if they have it in stock now but Nippon Yassan is brilliant for import games and fair on prices. The Asian version has an English option, not that there is much text in the first place.
samhain81 wrote:Ok, i've put aside about £150 for a good couple of rpg's. Could someone helpfully recommend me some accessible rpg's with a decent playtime (no 100hr nonsense). Not really into pre-adolescent childish rpgs, but that may have cut the result by about 3/4, hehe.

However, if the story is of an adult nature then I'd happily take a shot. :P
Final Fantasy X might be worth a look, though I can't say how long it is as I've not started it yet.

I can recommend Child of Light though, I guess the fact that it has younger characters might put you off? Not that its anywhere close to being anywhere as lewd as JRPG's on the system. Its also the only RPG I've managed to finish recently (its around 20ish hours long? Perfect length for me).

Anyway, I've taken a break from Flame Over for a while, and am now working on Hotline Miami 2. Its hard, even by the first games standards. The larger areas make for a greater challenge, I'll need to switch up my gameplay style if I want to get A+ ratings by the looks of things. Its got an excellent graphical style to it though, and the soundtrack is as good as ever.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:42 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:I've been after DJ Max Technika but ebay wants like 50 quid for it.

It's about 24 quid here, I'm happy to order a copy for you or anyone else but it wouldn't be posted until the start of June (as that's when I'm back in the UK).

I idly walked in to EB Games the other day and found a copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia RE Birth for $14.99 pre-owned, in great condition. Thought that was pretty good :)

I also saw Senran Kagurra but couldn't justify it at $60.00

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:30 pm

£21 (not including shipping) at videogamesplus.ca. :D

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Bit of a Flash Sale over on the US PSN, so I bought Klonoa for 64p!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Morkin wrote:Bit of a Flash Sale over on the US PSN, so I bought Klonoa for 64p!
I'll be nabbing Megaman X4 and X5 for my USA account. They were never released on the Euro store, and for that price it'd be rude not to get them! Nice choice on Klonoa, I finished that back in January and its a brilliant little platformer.

Anyway, today I managed to finish off Michael Jackson: The Experience HD (odd name...). The plat on this one was damn tough to get. Some of the challenges require you to basically play the songs perfectly on the highest difficulties, which isn't to bad on one hand since the game isn't hard as say DJ Max but its still a challenge to accurately execute the moves in time to the music. It seems like a pretty under rated game as well, its not the longest game, but the soundtrack is excellent and the gameplay is incredibly addictive which is why I ended up going back to it in the first place... Its dead cheap on eBay these days so its worth paying the £5 that it goes for to give it a shot.

I'm also playing Rayman Origins again on my USA PSN account. As usual its practically perfect bar the bosses and shooting levels.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Bought Borderlands 2 today to go alongside The Handsome Collection (PS4) when it arrives from Amazon. Plays pretty good to say its on a handheld. It chops a few frames of animation to keep the framerate up but that's to be expected. Initially found it a bit of a chore to target but i've got the hang of it now. Also i keep throwing grenades by mistake, which i still haven't rectified but overall, pretty damn good conversion of an epic game. 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:59 pm

nokgod wrote:Bought Borderlands 2 today to go alongside The Handsome Collection (PS4) when it arrives from Amazon. Plays pretty good to say its on a handheld. It chops a few frames of animation to keep the framerate up but that's to be expected. Initially found it a bit of a chore to target but i've got the hang of it now. Also i keep throwing grenades by mistake, which i still haven't rectified but overall, pretty damn good conversion of an epic game. 8)
I'd recommend messing around with the control config option to set something else to the back touchpad, as I threw grenades like a madman for some time as well before doing that. Its hard to say its a decent port in some areas, but I'm dead impressed with the game and got more enjoyment out of it than I did from the PS3 version. A game with that much content at the time was pretty damn impressive.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:52 am

Ah nice, never gave it a thought to change the control layout. I'll deffo try that later on. I found the PS3 version to be very good, but there was often times when the framerate dropped off and it got a bit messy. (Mostly when in Sanctuary for some reason, iirc). I forgive it almost anything mind!

I'm really looking forward to playing it on the PS4, should be silky smooth and i'm prepared to lose a decent chunk of time, that's for sure. I like the fact its all cross save compatible too, got my Siren all raring to go. 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:02 pm

Am I right in saying that the Katamari Damacy PS2 version that's in the sale is the one that Europe didn't get?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:20 am

Disappointment! I bought Star Wars: Battlefront II only to find that I can't download it to my PS Vita!

It was then I realized there are no PSP titles available in the Vita store front. After searching it appears the only way to get them is to transfer from a PSP. What retard put that measure in place? :|

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Rayne wrote:Disappointment! I bought Star Wars: Battlefront II only to find that I can't download it to my PS Vita!

It was then I realized there are no PSP titles available in the Vita store front. After searching it appears the only way to get them is to transfer from a PSP. What retard put that measure in place? :|
I'm not sure what's happened there mate; I've downloaded lots of PSP titles on my Vita including Star Wars: Battlefront II. Perhaps it's just a temporary glitch with the Playstation Store...

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:47 am

batman877 wrote:
Rayne wrote:Disappointment! I bought Star Wars: Battlefront II only to find that I can't download it to my PS Vita!

I'm not sure what's happened there mate; I've downloaded lots of PSP titles on my Vita including Star Wars: Battlefront II. Perhaps it's just a temporary glitch with the Playstation Store...
I actually did some further reading, apparently it's due to me having a EU Vita. In spite of the fact I'mm using a Canadian account in Canada

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:39 am

Now that I have a second Vita it makes it that much easier to play digital games from another region, as such I grabbed one particular game that still lacks a Euro release on Sony's consoles (even though it got a 3DS release ages ago): Mutant Mudds Deluxe.

Its a no nonsense 8bit styled platform game that has a fairly decent difficulty curve (if anything, this version is a tad too easy since you get check points which were not present in the 3DS version I played. Basically you get a gun and a jet pack, you have to navigate the increasingly dangerous levels as you shoot, jump and hover through them, fairly straight forward right?
To spice things up, there are areas that are tough to reach that warp you to more challenging areas (again, easier thanks to checkpoints) which forces you to utilise your platforming skills in more demanding sections. But wait, there's more! Collect all the diamonds in levels (100 per level) and also clear the challenge rooms (1 per level) and you unlock "granny" who has all three powerups enabled at once - increased flight time, high jump and longer range blaster. Now go back through all 20 levels finding the (not so hidden) granny entrances and then do the granny levels. These are even more challenging and forces you to be even more skillfull as you tackle the spike infested levels.

Now something I've not played before is the spooky redesigns of the levels that switch up the level design making things harder and also making enemies invincible (bar a gun you sometimes get in a couple of levels) so you can only avoid enemies now. Same drill as before - clear all 20 levels grabbing the pickups.

Its a short game (I cleared it in a couple of hours with all pickups) and its got a decent difficulty level. I can't say the checkpoints are unwelcome as a couple of bits were a pain in the ass, but I do kinda wish there was a mode where checkpoints were disabled.